“Huge room and nicely furnished but a few issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Michelangelo Hotel

You added The Michelangelo Hotel to your Saves list
The Michelangelo Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 West 51st Street, Between 6th and 7th Avenues, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% Savings on all Suites
Ranked #61 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Huge room and nicely furnished but a few issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Compared to other hotels I have stayed in in NYC (the Omni and the Sofitel) the rooms here are huge. My room also appeared to have been refurbished recently and had nice wooden flooring.

However I (and several of my colleagues staying in other rooms) were woken several times during the night by the heating/air conditioning system, turned itself on and off and rattled.

I would stay here again solely due to the rooms and good location but the rest of the hotel was a disappointment. Nobody ever opened the (very heavy) front door, reception staff were abrupt and I had to queue to check in as there was only 1 person on the desk.

A big annoyance is having to pay for wifi in a hotel that already costs over $450 a night.

Not my favourite NY hotel (I would have rated 3.5 stars if I could) but if you want space then you could do a lot worse

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Katherine S, Manager at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I apologize if you have noise issues during your stay and the lack of presence you experienced at the front door. This is not the standard of our service. We would love for you to give us another try. Please feel free to reach out directly at reservations@michelangelohotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

The hotel is beautiful, great location. My biggest complaint was all the staff except bar staff were very unfriendly, unhelpful and even rude and hostile at times. I wasn't treated as a guest but rather an unwelcome visitor. I was constantly asked over 3 days if I was a guest of the hotel, the parking situation is not great, you have to carry your luggage down the street from your car to the hotel. Also continental breakfast was underwhelming ...I was told I couldn't be provided jam with my scones. For the price of my room, I think they could provide jam.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Katherine S, Manager at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is important to us. I am sorry that you had the experience that you did. This is not level of service that we are known to provide. We would love to welcome you back and prove to you that we can do better. Please feel free to reach out directly at reservations@michelangelohotel.com
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

The locatiln is hard to beat, not too close to Times Square, but close enough to enjoy the fun. Also close to the park, for a nice run in the morning. Don't miss the pastries in the lower floor, simple but functional. The room service kitchen is also very good.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review! Hopefully we will get to see you again soon!
Mystic Ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for over 13 years, and the main reason is the service! Besides being in a great location close to subways and theaters and restaurants etc.
Our most recent stay was on Christmas Eve. We booked a suite and a room with two beds for our adult age girls traveling with us. Our suite #521 was perfect! Huge, clean and quiet! Perfect for room service breakfast and opening stockings with our kids.
I have to mention the people/employees that made our holiday stay enjoyable, and who always go above and beyond to make us feel comfortable every time we stay. (8-10x a year)
Walter at the front desk. Remembers our names and room we like. Henry. What can I say about Henry! The kindest, helpful, charming Bellman ever! Cesar goes out of his way everytime to help and welcome us as well! Bernie at the bar remembers our drinks and always goes out of his way to be kind.Even Christmas eve with a cold! Feel better Bernie.
Room service guy (forgot his name) great! Room service might be the fastest in the city!
Yes, we stay here a lot, and are "regulars" but I truly beleave this hotel and these employees are exceptional. Also I should mention Joseph, and Carmin, they were off this trip but are great as well. Thank you for always making us feel comfortable! See you all soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on 50th street side are somewhat quieter. Suites..503 and 603 are nice as well.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Katherine S, Manager at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you so much for the glowing review! We really appreciate your loyalty and will share your feedback with our staff. Cant wait to see you again soon!
Annapolis, MD, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Forty-five years ago my husband and I honeymooned at the Taft Hotel in NYC, which is now the Michelangelo Luxury Hotel. The Michelangelo offered us a VERY special rate for our anniversary so we could revisited our honeymoon hotel, which we did in Dec 2013. We had a beautiful suite and excellent service. We were within walking distance to Times Square, Restaurants, Theater District and shopping. We had a wonderful time. Thank you Michelangelo for a memory we will treasure!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! We are so happy that we could make this occasion special for you! And we hope that you won't wait another 25 years to see us again. We think it should be an annual trip.
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We just stay during Thansgiving and the hotel was part of our wonderful family vacation. Since our arrival the staff had excellent attention with us. We arrive early and our room was already available. We stay at a suite and was really an asset for us. We have like 2 separate spaces where our daughter could play and see TV and my husband could take a nap between our long days. Super nice European style in the rooms with red, black and whites. Excellent location, near amenities. Would definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice review! Come back and visit us again soon!
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife took me to New York for my first time as a birthday gift and we stayed here. Upon check in they upgraded us to a suite! Very friendly staff, clean room and classy! I was very impressed and had a fantastic time. The only down side was the hotel bar was crazy expensive but that's no big deal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Katherine S, Manager at The Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are very happy you chose the Michelangelo to stay at for your Birthday!! Hopefully we can celebrate many other happy occasions together in the future. Please note we also have a very exciting new happy hour menu in our bar which we think you will love and find of great value!!

Been to The Michelangelo Hotel? Share your experiences!