“An Italian Oasis in a great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Michelangelo Hotel

You added The Michelangelo Hotel to your Saves list
The Michelangelo Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 West 51st Street, Between 6th and 7th Avenues, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #41 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Ardsley, New York
“An Italian Oasis in a great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

For the past few years my husband and I have celebrated our Wedding Anniverary at The Michelangelo Hotel - 51st at the corner of 7th Avenue. If you wish to visit Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Broadway theatre, fantastic restaurants, this hotel boasts a prime location. In addition, rather than feeling the hustle and bustle of 7th Avenue, immediately upon entering the beautiful, well-appointed lobby, one feels as if one might be in a lovely Italian City. The Itailan marble, sculptures, paintings....yes, it must be Italy! I travel to Italy as I lead my Weissman Teen Tour groups of students every summer and have stayed in Starhotels, of which the Michelangelo is a member, in several Italian destinations. Thus, when I learned that there was a Starhotel in NYC, I had to visit. I have been coming back ever since.

The service, although uneven at times, is generally very good and the Italian pastries and coffee served every morning is a wonderful Italian touch. The rooms that I have been in do need updating. They have been a bit dark-nothing that better lighting wouldn't take care of. Carpets need to be changed, TV's have been broken, but all in all, with a bit of sprucing up, this hotel has the potential to be magnificent.

Room Tip: More light facing the street-7th Ave
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manasquan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Everyone was very friendly,location was great. Lobby bar was great to relax and get away from the crowds.Room was clean and quiet!!! Bathroom had all the personal touches and great terry robe.Great place to stay..........

Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

We spent an over night trip here many times. Truly enjoyed the stay. The Hotel speaks for itself.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
chapel hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

If you are searching for a nice, quiet atmosphere in mid town near the theater district, this hotel is fabulous! Large room, TV in dressing area/bathroom is fun. Nice robes, gorgeous marble bathroom, great towels. Complimentary coffee & pastries were very nice, although in the cellar. Only problem was the heat as it is in most hotels or apts in the NYC winter. ...had to turn on air conditioning, which made it comfortable. Felt very safe...alone.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip in January 2012. I found my room to be spacious, clean, quiet, and I LOVED the bathroom! Cool to have a small TV in there so I could check the weather/news as I was getting ready each morning...and having a fluffy bathrobe waiting for me was a real plus. I do agree with others who have reviewed this hotel with regards to their heating system. I finally had to turn on the air conditioning (it was running at the same time as the heat) to get the temp in my room below 70. And 66 degrees was as cool as I could get it. My room also had no view, but for me, that's the least important to me. I liked that the room was quiet, and this is why I prefer smaller hotels. I found the staff quite helpful. If you need coffee in the morning before the world wakes up, there's a Starbucks one block away. We ate quick breakfasts (breakfast sandwiches) at the deli next to the hotel because their eatery wasn't open as early as we needed to leave each day.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Perfect location, friendly and professional staff, large rooms, large bathrooms, lots of counter space! Overall very nice. However, like always in New York, it was impossible to get the room cooled down enough for comfortable sleeping.Complimentary coffee and tea were very good and a nice touch. The breakfast food pastries were not good, but Magnolia Bakery is just around the corner. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Wolverhampton, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Having read some recent reviews which were not so great I can put those people that have booked this hotel minds at rest.

We were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was fantastic, even had its own bar area.
The bathroom and massive bath, the huge room itself were almost spotless and to be honest, sure we didnt have an amazing view, but, who cares, Times Square is on the doorstep so go out! :)

I did have a couple of small issues, 1 being the mini bar wasnt working so i had it replaced, which was great as the next one had a freezer section.

The second issue is the maid service. Great at what they did, but so loud doing it! I couldnt see the point in having a do not disturb sign on the door if they are going to sing in Spanish, whistle and bang every door along your corridor. This was really the only negative thing I can say about our experience.

The bar, a bottle of Pinot cost almost $50.............. say no more lol

Overall I left this hotel and went to spend 2 nights at the Waldorf Astoria in a 1 bedroom suite. The constant noise of traffic at the Waldorf was so bad after 1 night we wished we had stayed where we were, at the wonderful Michelangelo.

p.s. Some people commented staff were not that friendly, surprises me a bit as we had no problems with staff on reception or at the bar. In fact helped us arrange things to do in the city................