“Excellent NYC hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Michelangelo Hotel

You added The Michelangelo Hotel to your Saves list
The Michelangelo Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 West 51st Street, Between 6th and 7th Avenues, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% Savings on all Suites
Ranked #63 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Excellent NYC hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I had stayed at the Michelangelo in 2004 and loved the location (even though right above Times Square, it is amazingly quiet once you turn off 7th Ave and enter the hotel) so when I had to come to NYC for a conference, I booked it for the weekend following my conference. On the day before I arrived, I received a voicemail at my office from the hotel re-confirming my reservation. I was worried what that meant (as in, "we don't have a room for you are you still coming?" sort of call). I returned the call and spoke to a nice reservations clerk and simply said I was already in NYC and would be there the next day. I also asked if I could check in at 2pm since I had to leave the conference hotel and he said he would note the request. At 2pm the next day it was pouring rain and when I arrived fairly wet from getting out of the cab even with an umbrella, I was told my room was not ready, but could have a drink since the lobby bar was open. Several people were waiting for rooms and were having a drink, so I hope it was true the rooms were not ready and this was not a chance to push pricey drinks. Shortly after 3pm (check-in per the policy) I was told it was ready. As to the condition of the hotel, I could tell the lobby and hallways had been updated significantly since my visit in 04. My room was one of the smaller ones in the back of the hotel (brick wall outside the only windows) and it was so far back I could not get a cell signal on my phone while in the room. But, it was extremely quiet and dark for sleeping. Like a lot of other commenters, I was not thrilled with the cost of wi-fi, particularly in light of the room cost, but it did work well and worked on a "24 hr from when you rent" basis and not a "end of the day is the stroke of midnight" basis, so even though I was there part of 3 days, I had wi-fi nearly the whole time for the cost of 2 days rental. I also got the express room service breakfast the first morning because I was tired, had been in NYC for a few days and wanted to sleep in. Though expensive (nearly $40), it was good, the food, coffee and drink were plentiful and of high quality. It was delivered timely and they quickly retrieved the used tray when I called. The day before I left, I approached a desk clerk and asked if I could get late checkout the next day. He said he could not do that nor note it on my room and that I would have to wait and call no earlier than 7am to see if I would be allowed to do so since they couldn't tell yet if there would be a need for my room. I was puzzled by this since they called me before I showed up and figured they had a pretty good idea of the number of guests expected the next day, so I let it go. The next day, I left right at normal checkout time (1pm) without bothering to ask for permission to stay a little longer. There were only minor piccadillos, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Turkish first
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

The Michelangelo Hotel is a great old-fashioned charming type of real New York Hotel.
What makes it so amazing and standing out of other similar properties is that it is extremely well kept. It is very clean, even the carpets in the corridors seems new and attention to detail is very well followed allover the building. The staff is nice and friendly and its service prompt. The rooms are very spacious and the bed is amazingly comfortable. The bathroom features a huge bathtub with rain shower and the shower curtain covered with a massive smooth cotton layer gives it a royal touch. To be recommended.

Room Tip: all rooms are nice!!
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

As soon as you walk into the Michelangelo you get the feeling you're in good hands. The decor is a striking blend of contemporary style and Old World elegance. Our room was lovely and the hallways were beautiful, handsomely appointed, and quiet. (No view, alas, just a dark air shaft--but very quiet and the lack of natural light certainly allowed us to sleep in in the mornings.) Just as importantly, the place is beautifully managed. The service is warm, friendly, and very helpful--not a "snooty" vibe to be found anywhere. The location is just a few blocks above Times Square--as a result, we ended up spending a bit more time in this hectic area than we would otherwise have chosen, but you can't beat it for convenience. My only small quibble is the Continental breakfast--while the coffee is OK and the staff will cheerfully and quickly make lattes and cappuccinos on request, the hours (8 - 10 a.m.) are a bit restrictive for a city that runs on its nightlife and the baked goods that are its only offering are very limited and (to put it charitably) of indifferent quality. Nicer pastries, and perhaps the addition of some fresh fruit (as well as, say, the hardboiled eggs or cheese that are often offered in European hotels for a quick protein fix), would complete the atmosphere of impeccable quality with a European flair that otherwise characterized our experience at the Michelangeo. That said, in every other respect, we felt well taken care of and very happy to be there.

Room Tip: We mentioned our (weekend) trip was a special occasion and our room was upgraded on the spot (or, at...
Kinross
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is a very comfortable and relaxing hotel to stay in. The room was spacious and clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The "free" coffee and pastries served in the bar area for breakfast were perfectly adequate. The location of the hotel is ideal - a short walk from Central Park, the Rockefeller Centre and the MOMA. We would definitely stay here again if visiting NY on business or pleasure.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Booked this hotel due to a combination of price and Tripadvisor reviews for a couple of days business/wandering break.

Location turned out to be excellent - midtown all within easy walk and two metro lines a block or so away.

Access from airport was easy and getting cabs seemed to be less of a hassle than normal in NYC ;)

Rooms were very comfortable - spacious, clean with neutral decor. Bed in particular was excellent and comfortable. Soundproofing was also better than normal, so a plus for that.

Wifi was a mixed blessing: a steep $12.50/day to access their 'high speed wifi'. The plus side was that it was indeed high-speed, with the connection easily supporting skype video conversations. I normally rant about paid-for wifi, but unlimited, good quality may indeed win out over free 'wet limp string' connections... Still, at this price for the room it did grate a bit.

The usual trick of $10 bottles of European mineral water in the rooms also seemed a bit penny-grubbing.

There's a small gym in the hotel - size of a large double room. About 4 cross trainer/running machines and a free weights space. Open 24hours with towels and fruit. Worked well and simply.

Staff were courteous, friendly even, and always helpful. No massive checkin/out queues either.

This is a hotel I'd be happy to return to and also to recommend to others for a no-surprises, comfortable, quietly luxurious, friendly and well-located hotel in NYC. Solid all round.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Missouri / Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

The Michelangelo hotel had it all ~ location, comfort, elegance, meticulously maintained,...it was ideal for our 4 night stay. The room was spacious and spotless. Our bed, a king, was comfortable and plush. We were delighted with the way the staff took good care of our needs and answered our questions. There is an old-style elegance to this property we especially enjoyed and will return when we come back to the Big Apple.

Room Tip: Corner suite was quiet and roomy.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

If you are looking for a good nights sleep this is the place for you.
Idealy located, very clean and the staff were superb.
Bit dissapointed with the view as it was another buildings wall but it added to the quietness so I guess you can't have everything.
Although we did not try the complimentary continental breakfast it was nice touch and added to the good feeling we had about the place, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Michelangelo Hotel? Share your experiences!