“Ok, but not a good nights sleep!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Mansfield

You added The Mansfield to your Saves list
The Mansfield
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 West 44th Street, Off of Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Ring in the New Year
Ranked #266 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Lancashire, UK
“Ok, but not a good nights sleep!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights.
First impressions were good, handy location just off 5th Avenue, marble entrance hall, cosy library/lounge with free coffee, adjoining bar area and a very pleasant and helpful receptionist lady.

We had arrived mid morning having first checked that we could store our luggage at the hotel and return after official check in time and no problems there.

We returned later in the day to officially check in, were handed our room key and told our luggage would be brought up shortly. The lifts were very small and a bit creaky and dim but we made it to the 7th floor which was equally creaky and dimly lit.

When we opened the bedroom door we thought they had actually given us the key to the broom cupboard as it was such a small room but, hey, we only planned to wash and sleep there and they say size is not important!

Our cases arrived shortly after and we managed to squeeze them in somehow.

The room was clean but again a bit dim even with the light on.

The bathroom was 'compact' but functional and came with the added bonus that you could slide the bathroom door back and with only one step you were in bed!

The single window faced a brick wall housing one of the largest air conditioning ducts we'd ever seen and it turned out this 'hummed' all night long making for a very disturbed nights sleep.

Next morning we debated wether to ask for a change of room as it was only for one more night but decided as were in for a very long day/night and journey home tomorrow a goods night sleep was required.

The receptionist agreed to move us without any qualms and said if we left our luggage ready in the room it would be relocated for us.

When we returned around 6ish for a wash and brush up we had been moved to a room a couple of floors up at the front of the hotel facing the street-our forlorn looking luggage was waiting for us as promised.

This room was similar to the first one but a little bigger and although there was a little traffic noise at least no continuous noise to keep us awake later, erm, well at least that's what we thought...........

About 3am that morning it sounded like there was a dust cart convention going on in the street below, lorries backing up with reversing beepers, clanging metal, engine noise. This went on for hours so again sleep was only possible in fits and starts.

Maybe we were just unlucky with our room allocations and of course some noise is to be expected in NYC but having said that we had previously stayed at another hotel facing right on to Lexington Avenue and didn't encounter any excessive noise.

The hotel does have a certain old world charm about it, the staff members we encountered were all friendly and helpful and it is handily located for getting about and seeing the sights but even if the City never sleeps occasionally it's visitors need to so we probably would not stay here again unless a quiet room was guaranteed!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
essex, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

This hotel was lovely, everyone friendly and helpful. The room is very dark though - great for slepping but difficult to see to put on make up in the morning. I stayed in a room with a queens sized bed, it was very comfortable. The room is equiped with a mini bar, safe hair dryer, full lenght mirror and wall mounted television.

Its only a 5 minute walk for times square. If you are going for leisure i recomend trying out the greyline bus tours $90 for 24hour hop on hop off tours that also gets you into some of the top attractions for free also. They are very well informed and it was excellent.

• Stayed July 2009
Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

The hotel is in a great location - just a few minutes walk from Grand Central Station and Times Square. Hotel rooms in most cities tend to be very small (unless you're willing to spend lots of money), and The Mansfield is no exception.

We stayed in a petite Queen room. It was stylishly decorated and comfortable, but we could not see the light of day. The tiny window in the room faced a brick wall, and it was tinted, so it really did not serve the purpose of a window, except to house a VERY noisy air conditioner that made it difficult for us to sleep.

The bed was comfortable and the TV was a good size. Free internet was a very nice bonus! The bathroom was very modern, though a little cramped.

The staff were not particularly friendly but they were helpful enough. Breakfast was included in our rate (which was greatly discounted from the hotel's rack rates), so we took advantage of that. The food was decent but the service was very slow. I wouldn't eat there if it weren't free.

The common areas of the hotel have a lot of charm, and the library has an awesome cappuccino, late and tea maker (and it's free).

All in all, it was a pleasant enough stay. I would probably stay there again, provided I have my ear plugs with me.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
san francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I've never written a negative review of a hotel before but am making the time to do so here.

I was in NYC on business, initially for 8 days, staying at the Millennium Broadway hotel (our job site was right on times square, hence the location). I needed to extend a night and the Millennium was sold out so I went online and, via Kayak, which led me to "easy to book dot com", I found a the Mansfield which seemed like a decent value for the neighborhood. I wasn't worried about the complaints here that the room was "too small" as I've stayed in plenty of NY hotels.

Needless to say, the room was about 1/2 the size of the smallest NYC room I've seen. But the real pain was that, upon arrival, the desk clerk told me the hotel was oversold and that they would need to send me to their "sister hotel" at 85th on the upper east side. In spite of having already charged my credit card. She was unapologetic and asserted that I had booked "too late" and that's why this happened. This made no sense to me as I had a printed confirmation from the night before and they had already charged my card.

I explained that this wouldn't work, as I was working long days, 2 blocks from the hotel, and a commute to & from the upper east side was not an option. It took 30 minutes of negotiating (i was on a lunch break and it consumed the entire break), with the clerk ultimately phoning two different managers before one of them gave her the OK to "walk" another guest and give me a room.

As an avid traveler for both business and pleasure over the past 17 years, that experience was a first for me.

Once in the room I really regretted leaving the Millennium. The room had a window air conditioner, just like the kind you'd buy at walmart, had two settings i could use during these hot rainy days: off, or noisy & rumbling.

The tiny, sweltering elevators smelled badly, I think just due to the hot weather and the hot steamy people riding in them, leaving their scent behind due to fact that these little, old, carpeted elevators had no apparent ventilation of their own. (the elevators were very slow, which enhanced the smelliness, for sure). The hallways were so small that you couldn't squeeze by a maid's cart with a suitcase in tow, and the bathroom was "discount" to say the least, with its micro pedestal sink, tiny drugstore "mirror on a stick", no vanity space to place one's toiletries. The primary "classy touch" was the supplied Aveda soaps and bedding of reasonable quality (no so much the mattress, but the sheets seemed reasonably good).

I hadn't been crazy about the millennium prior to this experience, but I'd have paid double to have my old room back after one night here.

The soaps and sheets were hardly enough to warrant the "star rating" advertised for this hotel.

On the plus side, I found the other staff that I dealt with to be quite friendly and they were readily accommodating of my need for a late checkout on my departure day.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

The Mansfield was charming - a throw back to an earlier time of paneling, hardwood floors, and marble. The library was a nice place to gradually move into another hectic day in NYC, and a nice place to unwind in the evenings. The location is unbeatable, whether a majority of your activities will be on the East Side or West Side (just blocks to Grand Central or Times Square, with great subway connections), or uptown or downtown. At the same time, the street itself is very quiet, particularly for NYC. The hotel's drawbacks are associated with the age of the building, namely small rooms, tiny bathrooms, narrow halls and inadequent HVAC. The HVAC in particular definitely leaves something to be desired - the air conditioning unit is extremely loud and vibrates, and creates a draft that leaves one either too warm or too cool. The other issues are, I suppose, part of the "charm" and character of an historic property. The staff could not have been nicer - they were helpful, friendly, and genuinely seemed to enjoy being there.

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed in several hotels in NY but this one is really outstanding and what makes it outstanding is the staff at the first place!! All hotels employees were more than happy to help us.
Check-in was quick and we were lucky enough to get upgrade to 2-bedroom suite with a fireplace.
Rooms - the suite was clean and very big, too big for me and my husband :) very tasty decor, surprisingly quiet at night (bit no views)
Location - the best possible, between 5th and 6th ave, 10 minutes walk to Times Square,
Lobby - there is coffee and tea available for guests for free and nice relax room with fireplace if you want to read some newspapers or play chess.
Some piece of advice - if you do not have breakfast included it is better to go to any bar outside (there are plenty of them in the neighborhood).
We will definately come back to the Mansfield soon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

For some time I've been longing to stay here. My mate and I decided to spend date night in the city instead of trekking back home after a late dinner. The room was typical NYC hotel small, the noisy air conditioner didn't help matters. Lovely bathroom. And the fitness center was superb. If you just want the basics a place to rest your head and have drinks in the bar which is superb then its okay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Mansfield? Share your experiences!