Stayed for 2 nights.
First impressions were good, handy location just off 5th Avenue, marble entrance hall, cosy library/lounge with free coffee, adjoining bar area and a very pleasant and helpful receptionist lady.
We had arrived mid morning having first checked that we could store our luggage at the hotel and return after official check in time and no problems there.
We returned later in the day to officially check in, were handed our room key and told our luggage would be brought up shortly. The lifts were very small and a bit creaky and dim but we made it to the 7th floor which was equally creaky and dimly lit.
When we opened the bedroom door we thought they had actually given us the key to the broom cupboard as it was such a small room but, hey, we only planned to wash and sleep there and they say size is not important!
Our cases arrived shortly after and we managed to squeeze them in somehow.
The room was clean but again a bit dim even with the light on.
The bathroom was 'compact' but functional and came with the added bonus that you could slide the bathroom door back and with only one step you were in bed!
The single window faced a brick wall housing one of the largest air conditioning ducts we'd ever seen and it turned out this 'hummed' all night long making for a very disturbed nights sleep.
Next morning we debated wether to ask for a change of room as it was only for one more night but decided as were in for a very long day/night and journey home tomorrow a goods night sleep was required.
The receptionist agreed to move us without any qualms and said if we left our luggage ready in the room it would be relocated for us.
When we returned around 6ish for a wash and brush up we had been moved to a room a couple of floors up at the front of the hotel facing the street-our forlorn looking luggage was waiting for us as promised.
This room was similar to the first one but a little bigger and although there was a little traffic noise at least no continuous noise to keep us awake later, erm, well at least that's what we thought...........
About 3am that morning it sounded like there was a dust cart convention going on in the street below, lorries backing up with reversing beepers, clanging metal, engine noise. This went on for hours so again sleep was only possible in fits and starts.
Maybe we were just unlucky with our room allocations and of course some noise is to be expected in NYC but having said that we had previously stayed at another hotel facing right on to Lexington Avenue and didn't encounter any excessive noise.
The hotel does have a certain old world charm about it, the staff members we encountered were all friendly and helpful and it is handily located for getting about and seeing the sights but even if the City never sleeps occasionally it's visitors need to so we probably would not stay here again unless a quiet room was guaranteed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An architectural and historical landmark, The Mansfield is a portal to a New York City of days gone. Guests of the hotel appreciate its club-like surroundings and superb craftsmanship, as illustrated by the lobby’s detailed illuminated 16-foot ceiling and oval staircases with original terrazzo floors. The Mansfield is located just off of Fifth Avenue at 44th Street, residing within the historic preservation district of Midtown Manhattan, and deep in the heart of the Theater District. The hotel is within a short walk of the finest Fifth Avenue stores, Bryant Park, Times Square, Broadway, Grand Central Station, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden and the Radio City Music Hall. Guests can enjoy complimentary 24-hour espresso and cappuccino in the hotel's classically-restored Beaux-Arts Club Room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Mansfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mansfield Hotel New York City
- Mansfield New York City
- Mansfield Hotel New York City