I've been to NYC a few times now and I've been searching for a great hotel at a good price in a terrific location.
That's The Mansfield!
Let's get it out of the way: the rooms aren't big. But NO rooms (in my price bracket) in NYC are big. However, the room is an adequate size for a couple. There's plenty of room for two large bags and ancillary items without the room feeling cramped. The window seat is a neat feature! It's also a great place to drop shopping bags. I will say that the standard room won't work for more than two people. You'd want to upgrade to a bigger room.
The bathroom is small. I'm a foot guy who's healthy sized. Not obese but not skinny. I didn't have any trouble fitting in the bathroom or shower. I didn't feel cramped despite it being a small bathroom. The counter space isn't there, but I didn't find that to be too much of an issue. I love the Aveda products provided!
The room is beautifully decorated and styled. You can tell quality materials were used throughout during the restoration of the hotel. I didn't realize until we checked in that there is a VERY well appointed mini bar in the closet as well as a safe. Very nice touches.
The restaurant is delicious! Room service is 24/7 with a limited menu. A full menu is available during normal dinner hours.
Our room was immaculate - crazy, perfectly clean. When we checked in, the room was a little warm. To adjust the temp, you call the front desk and they send an engineer because it's an older building. Two engineers showed up within 5 minutes and adjusted the air. Very impressive!
Now, the real star of the show for The Mansfield is the LOCATION! It's a few blocks (less then 5 minutes walk) to Times Square, which is great if you want to do super touristy stuff. It's less than a half block from 5th Avenue and TONS of great shopping. The Library is a few blocks away, Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Station. It's ALL close, and easily walkable. If you're visiting the city to see the sights, this is the perfect location. For being so close to it all, the hotel is very quiet. I incorrectly assumed the rooms around us were vacant but realized we had neighbors when I ran into them in the hall. I haven't heard a peep!
Speaking of location: the Strip House steakhouse is across the street and is a five star restaurant for dinner! We had one of the best meals of our lives there! We called at 5 and they worked us in at 5:25 for an early dinner and the food and service were amazing! So nice to have such a delicious restaurant across the street!
The staff of the hotel is amazing too. Every member of the staff we see, whether it be the front desk, the concierge, the house keeping staff or the door man, all ask us how our stay is going and if we need anything. They are courteous, professional and very friendly.
And, lastly, the price absolutely CAN NOT be beat for a NYC boutique hotel that's so pretty, so well maintained and so pleasant of a stay.
The Mansfield will be out "go to" hotel from now on when we are in the city and we will make sure our friends and family know about it as well. It's our favorite and it's a hidden gem in NYC.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An architectural and historical landmark, The Mansfield is a portal to a New York City of days gone. Guests of the hotel appreciate its club-like surroundings and superb craftsmanship, as illustrated by the lobby’s detailed illuminated 16-foot ceiling and oval staircases with original terrazzo floors. The Mansfield is located just off of Fifth Avenue at 44th Street, residing within the historic preservation district of Midtown Manhattan, and deep in the heart of the Theater District. The hotel is within a short walk of the finest Fifth Avenue stores, Bryant Park, Times Square, Broadway, Grand Central Station, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden and the Radio City Music Hall. Guests can enjoy complimentary 24-hour espresso and cappuccino in the hotel's classically-restored Beaux-Arts Club Room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Venere, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Otel so you can book your The Mansfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mansfield Hotel New York City
- Mansfield New York City
- Mansfield Hotel New York City