“Best hotel in NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lowell Hotel

You added Lowell Hotel to your Saves list
Lowell Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   28 East 63rd Street, Between Madison and Park Avenues, New York City, NY 10065 (Upper East Side)   |
Ranked #74 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Best hotel in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at the lovely Lowell hotel last year and meant to write this review: as I was hurriedly packing my bags to run to the airport one of my bags split open (never learned how to pack properly) - I went to the front desk the the 2 reception women were so sweet and accommodating - they kept the broken bag while I ran to Bloomies to get another, then gave me an empty room to repack into the new bag and finally took care of the broken bag. The bellman was also helpful. The rooms and suites are gorgeous, clean, have every amenity, and the hotel is like a home away from home.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Sarah B, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Laurensd1111,

Thank you so much for sharing such a positive review of your stay at The Lowell. Our goal is to provide the highest quality service and we are grateful for your kind recognition. We strive to provide the most comfortable and relaxing accommodation so it feels like a home away from home, while you are enjoying the surroundings of Upper East Side Manhattan. We thank you for your patronage and wish to welcome you back again soon.

Warmest regards,

Sarah Bolton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Amelia Island, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Great location in the city, but felt peaceful and quiet after hours of walking in the hubbub of NYC. Upon our arrival, we were delighted to find a delicious afternoon tea available (we ate all of it!). It felt like we were in London. Rooms were a good size and very well maintained. The management was helpful. We would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WoodyB,

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and found a quiet oasis within the city. Our afternoon tea which is served in our Pembroke Room makes for a wonderful experience and we are so pleased that you were able to enjoy during your time with us. Your positive comments have been shared with our Food & Beverage team along with the rest of our team. We truly hope to welcome you back once again in the near future.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

This small hotel is tucked into a neighborhood just around the corner from nearly everything in NYC ~ fabulous location. The rooms are spacious, clean and well appointed. Staff is courteous and helpful. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sarah B, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Hockeymom472014,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive impressions of The Lowell. Your comments have been shared with our entire team. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Just stayed for a long week-end. The décor and service were beyond belief. The bathroom was about the size of my 1st apartment. The location was in one of the best (maybe the best) neighborhoods in the world-the whole world. Words cannot express how remarkable this place is. One pays a hefty price for all this, but it is worth it in this case.

Room Tip: Choose a rom from it's excellent web site. Expect to be "wowed".
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear John R,

We want to thank you for your wonderful review. We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had such a remarkable experience at The Lowell. All of our team members are grateful to hear their service was recognized. We are truly lucky to enjoy such a coveted location in the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
Please come back and visit us again soon. We would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back!

Warmest Regards,

Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I booked two nights for my girlfriend's 30th birthday, as I was looking for something very special and exceptional. The hotel staff have an arrogant attitude which makes you feel anything but. I do need to add that the head of concierge and front door man were the exceptions.

We had a junior deluxe suite in an empty hotel, which was guaranteed as part of the booking. The hotel was aware that it was my girlfriend's 30th birthday and refused to upgrade us. In fact, they wanted to charge $500 a night for the next category room. The room itself was nice, simply because it had a beautiful fireplace (at a charge of $30 each time they lit it). However, we had a direct view of a rusty water tower, and I can only imagine the worst of its category. If this is how they treat people on a special occasion, I suggest going somewhere where you are actually welcomed.

We did receive a cake and bottle of wine, which were nice touches, but we would have been much happier with a larger room. If we paid the amount they suggested, I highly recommend many other 5-star hotel experiences.

Pluses: great location, beautiful reception area, and classic style. Minuses: We left feeling unwelcome by inhospitable and arrogant staff.

Room Tip: Be prepared or splash our $2000 a night then maybe you will get one
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarah B, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear ukinmiami,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of your recent stay with us at The Lowell. We understand that your weekend was a special one and we are so disappointed to read that we failed your expectations. At the Lowell we take pride in providing personalized service and having the opportunity to recognize one’s special occasion.

We were pleased to offer you a three level complimentary upgrade upon check-in to a Deluxe Junior Suite with a wood burning fireplace, where we waived the additional $200 per day for this added premium. During your stay, you requested a complimentary upgrade to a One Bedroom Suite, which is a six category difference to the Deluxe King you reserved at a rate of approximately $570.00. The One Bedroom Suite is listed at $2350.00, which we offered at a 50% discount to you, which was declined.

As we had the pleasure of corresponding with you prior to your arrival, we were delighted to offer complimentary wine and chocolate covered strawberries on the day of your arrival. We are happy that you enjoyed the additional complimentary birthday cake and wine. We would like to thank you for your recognizing our concierge and bell team, but are admittedly saddened that you perceived some of our staff members as you did, and would be grateful for the opportunity to speak with you personally, so we may discuss measures to avoid these perceptions in the future.

We do have our heartfelt gratitude that you chose The Lowell to celebrate your special weekend.

Thank you again and wishing you a wonderful start to Spring !

Warmest Regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I was really excited for this place when my fiance and I went. Sadly it was very disappointing. Although the tea set up was pretty, the champagne was not good, the sandwich bread was a bit stale, almost all of the petit fours you can tell were not fresh. The best part of the place were the macaroons and they were not made at the Lowell. I was really disappointed because it was supposed to be a beautiful romantic anniversary tea with my love and I felt like there was little food for the $56.00 pricetag. The scones were not satisfying. If you want to spend a lot of money on mediocre food then go ahead, but I will never go back to this place. It is sad because I picked this one over the Plaza because I thought it would have better service and food. Which it didn't have either and there were not many people so you would think the service was better. Disappointed :(

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarah B, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Cynthia G,

Thank you so very much for your invaluable feedback from your most recent Afternoon Tea experience in our Pembroke Room. We appreciate your comments so we may address the areas that need improvement. I am writing on behalf of our Chef de Cuisine who is aware of your comments along with our entire Food and Beverage Team. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the quality of the items you were served. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional personalized service and we were so disappointed to read that we have failed you. We want you to know that we do take your concerns seriously and we do invite you to contact us further so we may appropriately follow up with you after your experience.

Please contact me at a time that is convenient for you. I look forward to speaking with you further.

Our warmest regards,

212-838-1400
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This hotel is good if you are above 50 years old . it feels a bit old. The location is great though. It's located near the designer stores on Madison Ave. Hermes and Chopard are just around the corner. It's near enough to walk to the famous tourist spots but far enough to be isolated and private, which is a good thing. I suggest trip advisor to add another function to show the average age of the reviewers, as people of different age groups have different needs. The restaurant, Pembroke room, is overrated. The decor needs some refurbishment. The caffe latte I ordered through room service turned out to be regular coffee that cost me almost usd30. The lobby is very small and dark. It doesn't feel very welcoming. You could say it feels like "home". The service is so so. No one showed me around the room. The least they could do was to introduce me to the amenities , which is a standard in most luxury hotels. The junior suite I booked was pretty nice though. It looks better in real than in the pictures. Also, I must commend the excellent service offered by the concierge , Mr John [--]. He was very friendly and helpful. He helped us book Broadway show tickets and even sent the confirmation with directions to the theater to our room. Housekeeping was very well done. They folded our clothes and organized them neatly for our convenience. Another thing I want to mention is the welcome email they sent a day prior to my arrival, something which they should have done earlier. I didn't see the point in sending that email, as it didnt serve any purpose. They asked if they could offer any help, and I replied requesting for pickup at the airport. But apparently by the time they got to the email, it was already too late to do anything. Also, they asked me about the things that I like and even my travel companion's name, which got me very excited as I was expecting a very grand welcome. But the reality was far from that. If you are unsure of your ability to meet certain expectations , then don't set the bar so high because it's just very anti climax and disappointing. Even the hotels in bali could have done a much better job. Oh, and they broke my suitcase. Also, be careful of the bellboy, who solicited private car services at an exorbitant price. On my first outing to times square, which isn't very far away, I actually wanted to hail a cab but he recommended that I take a private car but when I got into the car and asked about the cost , it was too late to save myself the embarrassment of saying no. He asked if I was paying cash and I said yes. He then told me that it wouldn't make a difference if I took the private car, but the difference turned out to be more than triple of what I'd have to pay for the regular taxi. Maybe a rookie traveler to NYC like me should have known to be a bit more careful. To summarize my experience, "old rich" with no wow factor.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pseo84,

We have had the opportunity to personally contact you to sincerely apologize for the service failures you experienced during your stay. Our goal is to provide the highest quality of service for our guests and your remarks help us reach that goal. Both our General Manager and Guest Relations Manager have had the opportunity to personally contact you over the phone to review your concerns. We want you to know that we have taken these constructive comments seriously and have addressed any shortcomings that were experienced so they will not recur. We do hope that we were able to clarify any misunderstandings regarding the transportation arrangements. We have shared your wonderful feedback with our concierge team and thank you for recognizing their outstanding service. As you mentioned, we are lucky to enjoy such a fantastic location close to world class shopping, dining and attractions. We do understand that décor and ambiance are left to one’s own preferences. We pride ourselves as a quiet sanctuary in Manhattan and the true feeling of coming home.
Once again, as we have spoken about, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Lowell and were very pleased that we will have the opportunity to showcase our exceptional service that you would expect.