“A small oasis in the metropolis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lowell Hotel

You added Lowell Hotel to your Saves list
Lowell Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   28 East 63rd Street, Between Madison and Park Avenues, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #100 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Connecticut
“A small oasis in the metropolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Lowell Hotel has become the weekend getaway for my wife and I. The staff is
like family, and room service is impeccable in terms of presentation and quality. The beds are
comfortable, and the bathrooms spacious. There is nothing standardized in the hotel so it feels like an actual home-- a big mansion with many rooms. I have even come to love the tiny but homey elevators!

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are very pleasant
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandra F, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are flattered to read your kind words about The Lowell and The Lowell Family! We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another weekend getaway at your “home away from home!"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I spent 4 nights at the Lowell Hotel. It was perfection! If you like a quiet, well run hotel that makes being in NYC relaxing, this is the place for you. The staff is very professional and I could not have asked for anything more. Beds are comfortable, they deliver any and all newspapers, the gym has everything one needs and the breakfasts are great. Super location on the upper East Side. It is a high priced spread but they do deliver good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandra F, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Lowell! I will pass on your kind words to the rest of The Lowell Family!
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Lowell is a boutique hotel on New York's posh Upper East Side. The real find, though, is the hotel restaurant's afternoon tea. For $50 per person (not cheap but worth it) you are seated in an elegant room that could be a replica of a section of Buckingham Palace. You order a choice of tea and receive scones, sandwiches of lobster salad and chicken, clotted cream, jam, the works. The only tea service better than this in my experience was that of the Shangri-La Hotel in Hong Kong, which featured a pianist as well. The best time to arrive is 3 p.m. and, if you don't like crowds, make the trip Monday through Thursday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandra F, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea service in The Pembroke Room located on the second floor of the hotel. I would like to inform you that The Pembroke Room will be featuring a Holiday Tea service which begins in the middle of November. We hope that you will be able to join us then!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed with my wife at the Lowell again this year during our short trip to New-York city, and we had another tremendous and delightful experience. General Manager Ashish Verma and all his team are all working together to provide an amazing stay each time, with everyone doing their best to always exceed your expectations. Rooms are amazingly well designed and kept, bathrooms always a delight, you really feel pampered and well taken care of. Upon arrival, the butler will show you to your room, show you around and will make himself available till quite late. A small luxurious property with a very dedicated team delivering the best of New York's hospitality!

Room Tip: Second stay at the hotel. Rooms are very well appointed. Some have better outdoor views than others...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexandra F, Guest Relations Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are delighted to hear that your visits have been enjoyable and that our team continuously shows dedication to exceed your expectations. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future for another tremendous and delightful experience at The Lowell!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I went with my husband on April. A great Hotel! Loved it! Chic, quiet, great location. You can run into any celebrity without even noticing! The staff is great as well. One of the best in New York. We are definitely going back! Very nice restaurant to have dinner across the street!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandra,
Thank you for your kind words in regards of your stay at The Lowell! We are glad that you enjoyed your visit and that we made your stay memorable! We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed in a nice junior suite on the 12 th floor .
A beautiful bathroom with 2 sinks , bathtub and a big comfortable shower and a nice window.
I did not have a street view because the room faced the back of the building, but on the other hand it was extremely quiet.The bed and the sheets were impeccable

The service is outstanding , you really feel that you are special.
It is very good for couples as it is for families.
The breakfast room is on the second floor, it has no view but it is really cozy.
and the best part, they do not have the usual buffet , that i personally hate.
The eggs stay there forever and the bread was touched by everybody!!
I love the fact that you order what you want and everything is just fresh!!

Location could not be better ,close to everything but at the same time it is on a side street.
It is really worth the money.
The decoration is elegant and at the same personal.
From the manager to the doorman you feel people are happy to work there.
I am counting the days to go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Miriam W, Front Office Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing about your experience at the Lowell! We are thrilled that you
enjoyed your stay and found our rooms comfortable and our restaurant delicious. We are particularly happy that our personalized service stood out to you. We look forward to having you return to the Lowell in the near future!
switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

My family and I stayed for five days at the Lowell in April of 2012. We organized a two-bedroom suite for everyone, and I must say it was very, very comfortable. I thought the rooms were wonderful, with every amenity you can think of included - and I was happy to have a tiny kitchen as well. Beds were comfortable, and weirdly enough, the hotel was really quiet - which was a new experience for me in New York!

As other reviewers have suggested, it really was like being at home in New York.

The best thing about the Lowell are the concierge team, hands down. They were courteous, they were able to organize anything, they didn't kill you with crazy charges and if things were expensive, they were also able to offer alternatives if you wanted them. Our family usually uses the concierge service a lot, so this was perfect for us. I really appreciated both John Mark and Philip and I would go back just for them.

I was sad that we didn't have a view, but I think that is because I had asked for rooms with fireplaces; I wouldn't do this again because the fireplaces looked a bit shallow and I would have been afraid to have a fire in them, so when we go back I will try to book a suite if I can that has the outdoor area (I think it is a large covered balcony or something). Since we used to stay at the Ritz at Central Park, we really love a great view, and I feel that we missed this. But this isn't something that the Lowell can be faulted with.

I didn't really love the restaurant/bar that is next door to the hotel and is attached to it with a door. I felt that, on the one hand, it did have the feel of "old New York". On the other hand, the bar is just a line bar that is set in the walkway to the restaurant, and it didn't look comfortable or inviting. Surely there must be a way to make this place more like a place people want to have a drink before dinner?
The restaurant, in my opinion, could also use some sprucing up. We had a better experience (thanks again to the concierge) at Le Billbouquet across the street.

Finally, the hotel breakfast room/small restaurant on the second floor was really weird. I thought it was creepy the first time we were there because it is low and dark and furnished in an old-fashioned way. Later, I went down and had breakfast there, and it didn't seem so strange. It was kind of cozy. It is, again, more like a home than a hotel - which is a good thing.

All in all, I would go back. I loved the neighborhood setting as well. You don't always have to be in the middle of everything all the time, and Lowell Hotel is a nice place to kick back and relax, knowing that you are steps away from anything you want or need at any time.

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony - ask for a view because the other rooms are disappointing from this pers...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, Front Office Manager at Lowell Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share about your stay with us! We are excited that you enjoyed the comfortable and peaceful athmosphere of our hotel. We also value your comments regarding the Posthouse Steakhouse. We look forward to having you and your family return to the Lowell in the near future.

Been to Lowell Hotel? Share your experiences!