“I Loved The Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Irving Place

You added The Inn at Irving Place to your Saves list
The Inn at Irving Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   56 Irving Place, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #360 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I Loved The Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2006

My sister got married this past weekend at the Inn. I was a little worried since I read so many negative reports of noise and shabbiness. We absolutely loved it...and we had a very diverse crowd of people.

The bride and groom's parents, friends and siblings all stayed at the inn. The rooms are beautiful and BIG by any standards, not just New York standards. My parents had two bedrooms, a sitting room and a full size shower. My room had a very comfortable bed, sitting area and a walk in closet. They are furnished with antiques that do have some nicks and such, but I can't imagine calling it shabby! None in our group had any complaints! There was some noise outside but it is New York. We just turned on our fan and it drown out all the noise.

The breakfast was very good. Pastries from Balthazar, pumpernickle toast, fresh yogurt, delicious coffee and fruit. All served by a gracious staff.

The wedding was held in Lady Mendl's sitting room which is in the main room. It was filled with candles (even the day before), fires in the fireplaces, and the smell of gardenia throughout. There was a beautiful old bar from which a bevy of delicious cocktails and champagne drinks were served.

Cybar (the bar downstairs) was where the cabaret singers were set up and the buffet was served. The food was DELICIOUS! Once again, fabulous martinis, champagne and a decent selection of beers.

If you are looking for a Ritz Carlton experience this is not it. But if you like the warm and cozy feeling staying at an inn, I would give this an A+

• Liked — Comfortable, clean and beautiful
  • Disliked — Had to walk up and down steps
  • Tips/Secrets — I think it is a bit expensive in season but I believe it would be a great value off season.
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

My job requires me to travel a lot. In July, I had decided to take my husband to New York with me to combine a romantic one night hotel stay with business. Rather unfortunate. We were put in a beautiful room, but the AC had broken on our floor. They had not told us this when we booked the room, nor when we arrived. We had a window unit that sounded like an airplane engine and blew a fuse if turned up higher, which was essential because of the heat. Though I complained, they didn't do much to help the situation except push a few buttons. The thing continued blowing its fuse so we turned it off and opened the windows. Big mistake!! Hello noise! They did, to their credit, give me a reduction when we checked out. Still not worth it. I should add, dirty towels and lights that did not work, etc. The area is beautiful, the hotel is charming, but shabby. On top of this, the young man to whom I complained was a bit defensive and rather rude. Bottom line, definitely not worth the price. If you want the atmosphere, just go have tea there.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights, paid for as a present by a relative. To start on a positive note, we found the staff very polite, liked the champagne welcome, liked the neighbourhood, didn't find noise from the bar a problem and although limited to croissants and cakes, the breakfasts were tasty. But like one of the other reviewers, we also stayed in the Grammercy room and can confirm that most of the faults are still there (2 years on), also the bed was EXTREMELY firm. If you know the term "shabby chic", think more of shabby less of chic. Would probably have been much more disappointed and critical if I had been paying.

• Stayed March 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

Our room was on the top floor but the building is literally on top of an outdoor Bar. People are rowdy and extremely noisy as it opens to a garden that is right below the Inn. The rooms are nice, but still overpriced. We stayed two nights (moved to the front side of the building at the suggestion of the concierge) and I couldn't sleep so we moved to the W hotel one block away. Slept beautifully there. The staff was also not very helpful in keeping any noise down. Almost any room is going to hear the noise as the hotel is in a low-rise brownstone. The front side facing the street is not much better as none of the windows are soundproof and there are kids hanging out in the front of the bar till 3am. Bad idea to build an "Inn" with a loud bar in the basement with outdoor gardens and WITHOUT any soundproofing, although the noise is too loud that any soundproofing probably won't help much.

• Stayed February 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

The service was wonderful (I really like the people) and the whole atmosphere of the hotel was great. I loved the idea of staying in this simple and old-fashioned 1834 townhouse, which was quite luxurious and quiet, especially for staying in Manhattan! For all of this, overall, I enjoyed my stay. With all the big hotels in New York City, it took a website called Tablet Hotels for us to find this smaller and cozier place to stay. For out of the ordinary small hotels, Tablet seems to have a great list of interesting places to stay.

Stayed January 2006
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2005

Advised by guidebooks that the Inn at Irving Place was a romantic inn in the heart of New York City - I was quite excited to book a birthday weekend there for my wife and me. We were given a lovely room with beautiful furniture. We enjoyed a delightful tea at Lady Mendl's Tea Salon. It was when we returned from dinner that the problems started. The basement of the Inn has a bar in it. The bar has an outdoor patio. The noise coming into the room (we were on the second floor facing the street) was unbearable. We asked for help. We were offered ear plugs and told that the noise would stop soon. It did not. Unable to sleep at after midnight and fully exasperated, we asked them to move us to another hotel (as the Inn itself was otherwise full). Our weekend which we had looked forward to for such a long time was off to a horrible start. Contacted afterwards, the management of the Inn was apologetic and contrite but took no responsibility for the noise. The bar is in the Inn's premises. The bar is leased by them to the bar owner. If they want to create a romantic atmosphere - they have to realize that peace and quiet is part of the equation. Until that problem is solved, do not spend your money here.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

It's taken me a long time to write this review, but here it goes. My husband and I spent a weekend at Inn at Irving Place and were thrilled at the idea of staying in "B&B" type place in NYC. Some positives: great location, beautiful furniture and elegant things throughout, exciting to be staying in a beautiful brownstone (actually two that are combined) with a key to Grammercy Park, nice little touches such as plush towels, amenities in the bathrooms, and just a good "feeling" of being someplace special.
Some negatives: sometimes these ideas are all in our heads. Just because a place is incredibly expensive, it doesn't mean it's worth it! And frankly, this place just wasn't worth the $500+ per night that was charged. There was something in my pillow that caused such a reaction in my face that my husband didn't recognize my swollen face in the morning. I was asked to hurry up and finish my cup of tea one morning because they had to get ready for a luncheon (bridal shower or something). I understand they want to take advantage of the whole Victorian setting that attracts the side business of showers and luncheons and tea parties, but they shouldn't push away their guests like that. If anything, they could set up another corner somewhere for those of us "in their way." I also didn't find the front desk people all that kind. One in particular, a tall gay guy with very fashionable clothing, was almost uppity. That wasn't necessary. If money isn't an object, I'd say try it just for the fun of staying in a neat old brownstone. But if you don't have money to throw away, don't bother.

• Stayed September 2002

Been to The Inn at Irving Place? Share your experiences!