“Over-priced” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Irving Place

You added The Inn at Irving Place to your Saves list
The Inn at Irving Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   56 Irving Place, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #365 of 463 Hotels in New York City
“Over-priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights, paid for as a present by a relative. To start on a positive note, we found the staff very polite, liked the champagne welcome, liked the neighbourhood, didn't find noise from the bar a problem and although limited to croissants and cakes, the breakfasts were tasty. But like one of the other reviewers, we also stayed in the Grammercy room and can confirm that most of the faults are still there (2 years on), also the bed was EXTREMELY firm. If you know the term "shabby chic", think more of shabby less of chic. Would probably have been much more disappointed and critical if I had been paying.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

Our room was on the top floor but the building is literally on top of an outdoor Bar. People are rowdy and extremely noisy as it opens to a garden that is right below the Inn. The rooms are nice, but still overpriced. We stayed two nights (moved to the front side of the building at the suggestion of the concierge) and I couldn't sleep so we moved to the W hotel one block away. Slept beautifully there. The staff was also not very helpful in keeping any noise down. Almost any room is going to hear the noise as the hotel is in a low-rise brownstone. The front side facing the street is not much better as none of the windows are soundproof and there are kids hanging out in the front of the bar till 3am. Bad idea to build an "Inn" with a loud bar in the basement with outdoor gardens and WITHOUT any soundproofing, although the noise is too loud that any soundproofing probably won't help much.

• Stayed February 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

The service was wonderful (I really like the people) and the whole atmosphere of the hotel was great. I loved the idea of staying in this simple and old-fashioned 1834 townhouse, which was quite luxurious and quiet, especially for staying in Manhattan! For all of this, overall, I enjoyed my stay. With all the big hotels in New York City, it took a website called Tablet Hotels for us to find this smaller and cozier place to stay. For out of the ordinary small hotels, Tablet seems to have a great list of interesting places to stay.

Stayed January 2006
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2005

Advised by guidebooks that the Inn at Irving Place was a romantic inn in the heart of New York City - I was quite excited to book a birthday weekend there for my wife and me. We were given a lovely room with beautiful furniture. We enjoyed a delightful tea at Lady Mendl's Tea Salon. It was when we returned from dinner that the problems started. The basement of the Inn has a bar in it. The bar has an outdoor patio. The noise coming into the room (we were on the second floor facing the street) was unbearable. We asked for help. We were offered ear plugs and told that the noise would stop soon. It did not. Unable to sleep at after midnight and fully exasperated, we asked them to move us to another hotel (as the Inn itself was otherwise full). Our weekend which we had looked forward to for such a long time was off to a horrible start. Contacted afterwards, the management of the Inn was apologetic and contrite but took no responsibility for the noise. The bar is in the Inn's premises. The bar is leased by them to the bar owner. If they want to create a romantic atmosphere - they have to realize that peace and quiet is part of the equation. Until that problem is solved, do not spend your money here.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

It's taken me a long time to write this review, but here it goes. My husband and I spent a weekend at Inn at Irving Place and were thrilled at the idea of staying in "B&B" type place in NYC. Some positives: great location, beautiful furniture and elegant things throughout, exciting to be staying in a beautiful brownstone (actually two that are combined) with a key to Grammercy Park, nice little touches such as plush towels, amenities in the bathrooms, and just a good "feeling" of being someplace special.
Some negatives: sometimes these ideas are all in our heads. Just because a place is incredibly expensive, it doesn't mean it's worth it! And frankly, this place just wasn't worth the $500+ per night that was charged. There was something in my pillow that caused such a reaction in my face that my husband didn't recognize my swollen face in the morning. I was asked to hurry up and finish my cup of tea one morning because they had to get ready for a luncheon (bridal shower or something). I understand they want to take advantage of the whole Victorian setting that attracts the side business of showers and luncheons and tea parties, but they shouldn't push away their guests like that. If anything, they could set up another corner somewhere for those of us "in their way." I also didn't find the front desk people all that kind. One in particular, a tall gay guy with very fashionable clothing, was almost uppity. That wasn't necessary. If money isn't an object, I'd say try it just for the fun of staying in a neat old brownstone. But if you don't have money to throw away, don't bother.

• Stayed September 2002
New Hope, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at Irving Place in January and were very disappointed to say the least!
1. The radiator leaked all over the floor of our room TWICE-once in the middle of the night!!!
2. The room was not very clean. The honor bar was out of order-another leaking problem.
3. The noise from the martini lounge kept us awake all night.
This place needs a HUGE infusion of $$$ to bring it back to it's original splendor. Right now, it appears as though the owners are content to make their $$$ from the martini bar and sacrifice the inn...

• Stayed January 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2005

I stayed one night at The Inn at Irving Place to check it out before booking a room for my boss for a lengthy period. I am so glad that I did.

I arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon. The staff was VERY friendly and VERY attentive. My room - the Gramercy - was ready, so they let me check in. The bellman took my luggage and we legged it up to the top floor (2 flights).

After the bellman left, I began exploring the room. The more I explored, the more disappointed I became. Here is a list of problems:

1) There are two swing-arm lamps above the bed. The installation was very shabby (in a place like this, they should have cord covers). One of the lamps had a big dent. The arms were loose. The housings (where the lamps connect to the wall) were loose.
2) There were candelabra-style wall sconces on two of the walls. They were shabby and loose. And one of the sconces had a "candle" that was held on with electrical tape. It was leaning at a curious angle.
3) The radiators could use a coat of fresh paint.
4) There was plenty of upholstered furniture that looked was very nicely done. Unfortunately, none of it was comfortable.
5) There was no desk. I had to use the coffee table for my laptop.
6) The shutters were flimsy at best. There were 6 sets of shutters in the room - upper and lower for each of the three windows. Only one set would latch properly. I ended up using rubber bands to latch the others.
7) The dresser was an old Empire-style behemoth with drawers that had gaps in the bottoms. The drawers were very loose and I had to be careful to make sure I pulled them out carefully so that they wouldn’t fly out and land on my feet.
8) The mini-bar was out of order. There was a printed sign in a frame, which makes me think that this is a frequent occurrence.

There were some bright spots.

1) The room was very spacious and faced a courtyard. Even though the restaurants that border the property were hopping that night, I was not bothered by any music or noise. As a matter of fact, that was the first night I ever spent in Manhattan where my sleep was not interrupted by garbage trucks or sirens.
2) The queen-sized bed was very comfy and the linens were what I expected from a luxury property.
3) The closet had an extra blanket, iron and ironing board.
4) The bathroom was roomy. The outlets were right next to the mirror. They had a side table that was big enough to hold all of my toiletries. The towels were thick and thirsty. The shower was roomy. And the water pressure was great.

I did not eat at the inn, so I have no comments on the restaurant or the food.

I own a 130-year old farmhouse, so I can deal with a bit of shabby and I wasn't expecting the slickness of a modern boutique hotel. But for $325 a night, the room should, at the very least, be properly maintained.

I will not be staying here again. And I will not book a room here for my boss when he comes to the city later this month.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Been to The Inn at Irving Place? Share your experiences!