“Poor service and rude staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Park Lane Hotel

You added Park Lane Hotel to your Saves list
Park Lane Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 Central Park South, 59th Street Between 5th Ave & 6th Ave, New York City, NY 10019-1600 (Formerly The Helmsley Park Lane) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #252 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Manchester
“Poor service and rude staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

This was our final nights stay after a trip around America and it was very disappointing to say the least!

Before my stay I had transferred one of the two rooms I had booked (& paid for up front) to the following night & received the confirmation yet when we came to check in at 9pm following a flight from Las Vegas I was told that both rooms had been transferred to the following night & the rate for the night had gone up so I would have to pay the difference!!! The manager was very rude to me and looked down his nose & us!

This was a mistake made by the hotel & at no point were we given an apology!

The receptionist did say our room had been upgraded however there were stains on the carpet and it was just a basic room!

The gentleman that brought our luggage to the room was the only person who was nice & polite!

When we came to check out we asked for a cab to be called & were told to get one off the street yet someone from the hotel was getting cabs for other guests!

I did email the manager after we left to send a copy of the confirmation of the room for both nights and also to express my dissappointment with our stay at this hotel! However I have never heard back!

Needless to stay we will not be returning to this hotel when we come to the city in November!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Turkish first
connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel is in serious need of an update. The room was large, and the view was great, but everything in the room and the hotel itself screams 80s. We had to leave early in the morning, and asked the concierge about checking our bags for the day. He couldn't be bothered, just sat at his desk and said to check with the reception desk or the bellman (who was no where to be found and he did not offer to find him for us). The reception desk person was just as unhelpful. We were charged for two mini bar items on our bill that we did not purchase; he came across as suspicious of us (really, we just spent over $500 for a room and you are suspicious of two $9 charges??). He did adjust the bill for us, though. WE again asked about checking the bags, and he finally did call the bellman who said he would be there in a minute. Five minutes later (and we had to make an appt) and no bellman, no apologies, no reaction at all. I would not stay there again, the view is beautiful, but not worth the poor service and tired conditions.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Central New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Park Lane is on Central Park South, which we like - near the park, away from Times Square - tho some folks like the opposite. There were good things besides the location: room was large and comfortable. Staff was available and very helpful. Room rate was unexpectedly affordable. Our deal came with a free breakfast (lines to the breakfast room had waits of about 15-20 min, but was well worth it for a very extensive continental meal). Elevators were quick and available.
Less desirable: the room had no coffee service, no fridge (tho one was brought in at our request for meds we need to keep cool). TV selection was fair to good, LCD set was low resolution - however, we did not travel there to see TV! Overall: very pleasant and a great value for NYC.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, better city views... ask for such at registration.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Probably one of the best locations in NYC, facing Central Park. Service is very good, and breakfast is in a beautiful spot. The fitness center is well equipped, but has no view. The hotel is situated at a walking distance of most restaurants and shops midtown.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had a pleasant stay in a nice room with a beatiful view, but you have to pay to get Access to internet with a bad Connection. The breakfast is expencive and poor. The coffeshop Next door is better and cheaper.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sion Mills
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here in August to attend a family wedding in Central Park, the location of which dictated the bride and groom, hence our choice of hotel.

The whole experience was terrible. This is a poor excuse for a luxury hotel. Lets start with check in. It was slow, poorly organised and unwelcoming. The person that booked us in could not even break a smile for us. Having been to Orlando for the previous two weeks it was a large drop to earth. We may have had an issue with the previous hotels management but the staff were fantastic. Maybe it is just NYC?

The room we got was substandard, tiny and dated. I would not say it even deserved a three star rating. It had no mini bar, a fridge had to be requested, and there were no ice facilities despite an ice bucket being presented to us in the room. In all it felt grubby and tired.

After unpacking the first thing we did was look for wifi. I scanned the available networks and there was none available on my iPhones and iPads. I called front desk and got a guy who firstly told me there was, suggested by devices were at fault and the technician could look at them for me, the next day. I am an IT professional, I knew what I was talking about, they had no wifi on my floor. I later found out it would cost $13 a night if it had have been working, so thankfully I missed that joy. Why would a hotel not provide free wifi?

The queue for breakfast was not worth the wait. I would not pay $27 either.

Breakfast was a shambles. It was included on my rate, which was confirmed at the front desk on booking in. If you like strodge its good. Bread, bagels, croissants, bananas, cakes, cold (late too) toast are the order of the day. There was a bowl of chopped fruit, which your were lucky to get to before it emptied quickly. The staff were rude and abrupt. One man decided ion our second morning that my partner and I and the couple we were dining with did not have complimentary breakfast and made such a fuss in the middle of the restaurant, we agreed and signed the check to add it to our room account. Both parties had indeed breakfast complimentary but this guy was very over bearing.

Harry's bar was expensive dark and not worth it. Keanu Reeves apparently comes in, lord knows why. $17 for a bottle of Budweiser and $18 for a glass of Sauvignon Blanc is crazy, I have paid that in the Four Seasons in Paris and it was worth it there, but not here, sorry.

The concierge closed at 5/6pm, so you couldn't get recommendations for going out.

It may have been nice in its hey day in the 80's given the decor dates back to that era, but sorry not for me.

Check out was a painful as check in with the man not even apologising for Ajef's rudeness in the restaurant in the breakfast debacle or asking if we had a nice time. Maybe he knew.

Had we have known, we would have tried for the Plaza.

Other members of our group (of which we had five rooms booked) had similar problems, including mistakes with their booking and the hotel failed to answer requests. And every time we were faced by stone faced reception staff. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, this has to be the worst hotel I ever stayed in.

This was not child, family or even people friendly.

The only thing going for it is its location halfway between 5th and 6th Aves and across from Central Park.

For what I paid for this hotel for 4 nights got me a fortnight in a proper five star hotel in Orlando...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Olten, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

It was my first visit to NYC and we had of course a big collection of Hotels for choosing from.
We decided to stay for our 4 nights in the Helmsley Park Lane. The Hotel is great. They have a Lobby which is a bit on the small side but very quiet and comfortable.
We had a Problem at the check-in as our travel agency has booked ond a room with 1 double bed instead of 2 king beds. So as I travelled with a colleague we had to make an upgrade to this room type. the personnel was very friendly and helped us out very quickly. They even gave us a room in the 45th floor (of totally 46 xD) so we had a great view over the City of NY.
The Hotel is very Close to all attractions in the City. (5th Avenue, Central Park, Broadway, Times Square, etc)
For my next visit to NY I will definitly book again in this geat Hotel.

Room Tip: We had room No. 4511 (City View)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Park Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!