“Truly a boutique hotel, despite the small room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Franklin

You added The Franklin to your Saves list
The Franklin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   164 E 87th St, Off Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Culture and Cuisine
Ranked #291 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Truly a boutique hotel, despite the small room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised when we pulled our car up to the entrance of the Franklin Hotel on the Upper East Side of NY. I chose this hotel because it was close to our children who live in Harlem and close to the subway. It was an alternative to a Marriott in the same area. In addition they offered a "stay 2 nights, get the 3rd night free". Although I had read reviews that the rooms were small my husband suggested that I call to make sure that the petite queen had a closet. I was told that the petite queen room had NO closets. When I was hesitant about keeping the reservations I was first upgraded to a super queen and then a deluxe queen with no additional charge. I was quite happy with that solution.
We found the room very small but adequate, although the only bureau was a night table. We took the phone books out of the drawer and shared the 3 small drawers for the 2 of us. There was a small closet, with ironing board and iron, safe and umbrella! The light bulb in the closet out and I neglected to report it. The TV did not work the first night and we were told the IT man was supposed to come but apparently had not. We were not satisfied with that but were told he would be coming. We woke up the next AM pleased to find the big screen flat TV on the wall was working!
The room was very hot each night and we could not find a thermostat. We slept with an open window which solved the problem but we felt it wasn't energy efficient & the person sleeping next to the window was a bit cold. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. There were plenty of snacks and drinks to purchase from the top of the desk.
There was a wine and cheese gathering each evening in a delightful small dining area and each morning there was a delicious continental breakfast of croissants, bread, cheese and meat, jams, granola, milk, yogurt, juice and an espresso/latte machine in addition to regular coffee and tea. There was an adjoining comfortable sitting room with current newspapers. The rooms as well as the the dining and sitting area were tastefully decorated in a brown and blue motif with beautiful silk wall paper. There were lovely fresh flower arrangements in both rooms and lovely roses at the front desk. In addition each floor had delightful mosaic tile framed pictures on the wall and each room number with mosaic tiled.
The hotel is pet friendly and one of the staff had her little dog there. He was sweet but did have an accident which they attended to.
The staff was really helpful with our luggage and sweet with getting us into and out of the "old fashioned" elevator.
All in all a delightful experience. The location, amenities, and friendly staff were a plus despite the small, hot room.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
metro NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

they put me in room 53...said it was a deluxe queen and that it was roomier than most. OMG...I'd say maybe 100sq ft and if you include the bathroom 110 sqft. low water pressure, an A/C that needed to be on because the room was so hot(in December) and it rattled all night. Cold cofee in the AM and a doorman who was never near the door...AAA rate was over $300...AVOID this place if you are over 5'10"

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

I Am HONORED To Write A Review On The Franklin Hotel !!! I MUST Give A HUGE Thank You To Showkat And Francelle, They Added An EXTRA Plus On The A++++++ That I Am Giving The Franklin Hotel !!! From The Moment That We Arrived On The Door Step, To The Moment We Checked Out... EVERYTHING Was PERFECT !!! I Arranged For A ROMANTIC Get-Away For My Husband And My 26TH Wedding Anniversary, And I Could NOT Have Picked A BETTER Place !!! From The Quaint Sitting Area, To The 24 Hour Cafe'... We BOTH Loved It ALL !!! The Complimentary Breakfast Was WONDERFUL, EVERYTHING Was Delicious... And SO FRESH !!! And I Must Say How AMAZING The Wine In The Evening Was, It Was Such A WONDERFUL Way To Wind Down Our Hectic Days... PERFECT !!! I Have To Say That I Would HIGHLY RECOMMEND The Franklin Hotel To EVERYONE !!! We Will DEFINITELY Be Staying At The Franklin Hotel AGAIN, I Will NOT Even Look Elsewhere... I Have Found The PERFECT Place For US !!! Again, THANK YOU Showkat And Francelle... WE HAD AN AMAZING STAY AT THE FRANKLIN HOTEL, And The Two Of YOU Desreve KUDOS !!! :)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

I spent 4 nights here in September and was excited about staying at a "boutique" hotel since I was in the mood for something a little different than a chain hotel. The hotel did not lack for character. I loved the old elevator circa. 1930's, the old world feel of the room with chandelier hanging above the bed. The rooms are smaller but we didn't feel crammed. The hotel is on the upper east side, which is a completely different from times square, midtown, etc. The 4,5,6 subway train was around the corner but the overall location is very remote. When you are trying to make the most out of every minute in NYC it is much better to be within walking distance to the theaters, shopping, etc. You could walk to central park from this hotel but that was about it.

Friendly staff, good experience, but I would stay closer to midtown next time.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We just finished a three night stay at this hotel. The staff was super friendly and helpful and the extra amenities were definitely a plus. The subway was around the corner and we were able to get from one end of Manhattan to the other with ease. The area around the hotel had wonderful shops, resturants and fruit stands. I have never stayed at such a wonderful place in NYC and would recommend this place to almost anyone. The rooms are small but very clean with great décor. It truly had the feel of a European bed and breakfast.

• Stayed September 2009
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

Yes, our room at The Franklin Hotel was tiny! We had the basic queen room and the space was sufficient for us two and our stuff for a two night stay. Our room and the public areas were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The view from our window was a brick wall with a glimpse of the sky to the side - but we weren’t there for the view. We did have a full view of the street from the front parlor where we enjoyed breakfast and afternoon wine. I loved the breakfast of fresh (not frozen!) pastries, yogurt, and coffee drinks. I also liked the old-time elevator with a door we had to open ourselves. I found charming the worn down “Lobby” button in the elevator. The location was great for us - within walking distance of the Guggenheim (our reason for visiting) and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We would recommend The Franklin for travelers who want to stay on the upper east side, but not for those who want to be closer to the more popular tourist sites and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights in late August and loved everything about the hotel - well, almost everything. The bed was the most comfortable in the world and the pillows were excellent quality . The bathroom was very clean. The breakfast of fresh baguettes and French pastries, prosciutto, jam, cereal, yogurt, juices and coffee bar was fantastic (a little fruit would've made it perfect). The hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. The free WIFI was a classy touch. The location was perfect: 1 block from subway lines 4,5,6; many buses; shopping around the corner; Jamba Juice; Best Buy; Barnes & Noble; a pharmacy; the Metropolitan Museum of Art within walking distance; a movie theater around the corner; and an excellent French restaurant, Cafe d'Alsace, about 3 blocks away.
The hotel often has specials which can be found on their website, like the "3 nights for the price of 2".
What we didn't like about the hotel was the size of the rooms (tiny), the loud air conditioners (at least this blocked any possible noise from the street, elevator, hallway or adjacent rooms!) and their pet policy. We didn't know that pets were allowed and my son developed a terrible allergy during our stay. He was congested and sneezing all the time in the hotel. Thank goodness for the pharmacy across the street. Since the corridors and rooms are so small (and there is very little space between furniture and walls), it must be hard to manoeuver an industrial vacuum cleaner around the hotel. If we go back, I'll ask if there are any rooms that are pet-free.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Franklin? Share your experiences!