My husband and I were pleasantly surprised when we pulled our car up to the entrance of the Franklin Hotel on the Upper East Side of NY. I chose this hotel because it was close to our children who live in Harlem and close to the subway. It was an alternative to a Marriott in the same area. In addition they offered a "stay 2 nights, get the 3rd night free". Although I had read reviews that the rooms were small my husband suggested that I call to make sure that the petite queen had a closet. I was told that the petite queen room had NO closets. When I was hesitant about keeping the reservations I was first upgraded to a super queen and then a deluxe queen with no additional charge. I was quite happy with that solution.
We found the room very small but adequate, although the only bureau was a night table. We took the phone books out of the drawer and shared the 3 small drawers for the 2 of us. There was a small closet, with ironing board and iron, safe and umbrella! The light bulb in the closet out and I neglected to report it. The TV did not work the first night and we were told the IT man was supposed to come but apparently had not. We were not satisfied with that but were told he would be coming. We woke up the next AM pleased to find the big screen flat TV on the wall was working!
The room was very hot each night and we could not find a thermostat. We slept with an open window which solved the problem but we felt it wasn't energy efficient & the person sleeping next to the window was a bit cold. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. There were plenty of snacks and drinks to purchase from the top of the desk.
There was a wine and cheese gathering each evening in a delightful small dining area and each morning there was a delicious continental breakfast of croissants, bread, cheese and meat, jams, granola, milk, yogurt, juice and an espresso/latte machine in addition to regular coffee and tea. There was an adjoining comfortable sitting room with current newspapers. The rooms as well as the the dining and sitting area were tastefully decorated in a brown and blue motif with beautiful silk wall paper. There were lovely fresh flower arrangements in both rooms and lovely roses at the front desk. In addition each floor had delightful mosaic tile framed pictures on the wall and each room number with mosaic tiled.
The hotel is pet friendly and one of the staff had her little dog there. He was sweet but did have an accident which they attended to.
The staff was really helpful with our luggage and sweet with getting us into and out of the "old fashioned" elevator.
All in all a delightful experience. The location, amenities, and friendly staff were a plus despite the small, hot room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only a short distance from Central Park, the famed Museum Mile and Madison Avenue designer shops, The Franklin Hotel is the perfect Upper East Side getaway. Built in the 1930s, The Franklin Hotel is located at 164 East 87th Street. This romantic boutique hotel features 50 intimate guestrooms, daily complimentary continental breakfast from 7am-10am and daily wine & cheese reception from 5pm-6:30pm. Ideal for single travelers or couples, all guests enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary NY Times & USA Today (in our lounge area), Philosophy bath amenities, complimentary shoe shine, 24-hour cappuccino machine and New York Sports club passes upon request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Franklin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Franklin Hotel New York City
- Franklin New York City
- Franklin Hotel New York City