“compact & cozy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Franklin

You added The Franklin to your Saves list
The Franklin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   164 E 87th St, Off Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Fourth Night FREE!
Ranked #313 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“compact & cozy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I am really impressed with the other reviews of this property. They pretty much hit the mark.

Don't be put off by the somewhat garrish apearance of the red marquee with some missing letters which give the look of a
"No-tell Motel". This is a well maintained property, with a courteous and efficient staff. The rooms are compact but comfortable, though the bathrooms are rather a bit too "abbreviated", read very small. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were very fresh. The AC was working in Oct!!! however, it was not silent when cycling on and off. Other than this, my room was quiet. The breakfasts consist of small and unvaried selection pastries, crusty bread, cheese, prosciutto, granola and good coffee. The addition of some fresh fuit would be very nice.

The location is convenient for Met Museum visits, the Neue Galerie, and the Guggenheim Museum, etc. The metro station is just around the corner on Lexington.

My family lives in the neighborhood, so I will probably stay at the Franklin in the future if I come alone; though, I think my husband might find the rooms too compact for his comfort.

However, dear traveler, be aware that there is a "sevice charge" added to your bill. When I asked about this, I was told it was for ...
basically the amenities - the NY Times every morning, the internet access, the breakfasts, the robes, slippers, toiletries, etc. Nope, there's no "free" lunch Virginia! Let's have some truth in advertising, please.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Scottsdale, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

My boyfriend was a NYC resident for sometime so he acted as my tour guide and picked this hotel based on it's location for my first visit to NYC. My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay at The Franklin. It definitely exceeded our expectations. The room was very small (which we had expected; c'mon it's New York!), however everything within the room was exceptionally nice. The bed and linens were comfy and clean. There was a nice sized flat-screen t.v. and the bedside alarm had an iPod port. The bath was also small, but again everything was VERY clean, nice and worked properly. It seemed also pretty insulated as I never heard our neighbors. It was very close to the subway and there were some tasty restaurants nearby which made it very convenient. The staff was really helpful and kind too. Overall, I'd highly recommend it.

• Liked — Cleaniless, modern ammenities, comfort and location
  • Disliked — Room was small, but that was expected
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

Friendly welcome, told we had been upgraded but even so the room was very small and the bathroom even smaller (no room to lift your arms when using the wash basin). The room was so small that the heat from the flat screen tv on the wall made the room hot and the air conditioning was inadequate. The air conditioning was also just a box let into the window and was very noisy. The whole feel of this hotel was claustrophobic

• Liked — friendly and clean
  • Disliked — too smaller rooms and feeling of being enclosed
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

It is amazing how accurate other reviewers described this hotel. Practically everything everybody said is correct. We had a "Deluxe" Queen, and I would not be able to stand it in anything smaller. I could barely get to the sink and I am a size four. The closet door did open though not all the way because of the desk and there was of course no dresser, though the single night table did have 3 small drawers. But the mattress was very good and we could actually move around the room. The air conditioner cycled on and off a whole night. But, the room was spic and span clean and looked recently renovated. The staff was very friendly, the breakfast was very adequate (though I would suggest some healthier option like fruit instead of some of the carbohydrate loaded fare). The area is great; so close to the park, the subway, the Metropolitan, etc, etc. Having said all that, I have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Upper East Side on 92nd St and eventhough the area is just a tiny bit less perfect, the rooms are larger, the bed is larger, the bathroom is larger, parking is easier, internet access is better in the lobby , there is a coffee maker and a chair in the room as well as a dresser, and everything is clean too and it is cheaper. One would have to get breakfast somewhere else and do without wine and cheese at 5, not the end of the world.
I did have a bit of a problem with the reservations; I tried to cancel them since I found a better deal somewhere else and although the web says cancellations accepted one day before, and the receipt emailed stated the same, when I called they said cancellations had to be made before 3 PM. So beware of this policy, since it's not clear.
All in all, it's a really nice quaint little place.Not for claustrophobics

• Liked — The cleanliness and quality of furnishings
  • Disliked — The size
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Dallas,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

My wife and I spent six nights here 9/21-27 and loved it. We were in room 32 which is a "deluxe king"(?). First-timers must prepare for the shock of the size of rooms relative to the price in Manhattan. Compared to other hotels where we have stayed, this was almost palatial. (Others in the hotel we met at the continental breakfast or the afternoon wine and cheese reception spoke of the smallness of their rooms. One said their sink was in the closet because there was no room in the bathroom.) So, here goes:

THE LOCATION: Excellent. The 4,5,6 subway just around the corner (20 minutes from Hotel to Century 21 at ground zero on the 4 express; the 6 to the 5 at 51st and you walk up to the door of "Wicked"; etc.); museum mile & Central Park 3 blocks over; wide variety of restaurants in short walking distances; very, very safe.

THE STAFF: Excellent. Everyone was attentive, responsive, friendly - all without hovering or phoniness. From doormen to maintenance worker, we did not have a bad experience with a single person. These days, that's almost impossible.

THE ROOM: Great! Chandelier is a great touch. We had a small, adequate cedar-lined closet with small safe, robe/slippers; desk; plenty of accessible and available electrical outlets (six). We had no laptop, but wireless service is free. The bed is easily the BEST I have experienced in a hotel. High count, embroidered sheets and amazing pillows, (not to mention the cashmere throw!), were a godsend at the end of long days of walking the city. Each side table had three good-sized drawers. Bathroom was spotless, well stocked. Soaking tub was a hit with my wife, but shower water pressure was lame and need better lighting over mirror. Flat panel, wall-mounted TV would have been perfect had they carried Fox News. In-room “honor bar” typically outrageously priced – avoid the temptation.

THE BREAKFAST & RECEPTION: Very Adequate. The 24 hr Starbucks-style self serve coffee bar wouldn’t fit in my bag or it would be home with me now. Breakfast reminiscent of European fare with artisan bread, butter, jams, two hard cheeses, prosciutto, three types of cereals, plain yogurt, mini-crescents & Danishes, orange juice, hot tea, cocoa and milk. 5 to 6:30pm wine & cheese reception (daily in spite of what you may read elsewhere) has basic chardonnay & pinot noir & several spreadable cheeses, dried fruits and nuts. Room is SMALL with seating for only about eight but there is additional seating in the front “den” area. That said, we had no problem getting a table.

THE SERVICE: Great. We had two problems during our stay. First, our TV remote didn’t fully work. It did take until the next day to get that resolved, but was no big deal. Second, our window unit A/C slowly cratered over the first two days. We reported it on our way out one morning and it was working like a champ when we returned. Housekeeping was impeccable.

ISSUES: Update the hotel info books in the rooms-they had inaccurate information. Improve water pressure for showers. Add fresh fruit to breakfast spread.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — perhaps size of "dining" area
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

We found this wonderful hotel by reading reviews on Trip Advisor which led us to Expedia. The hotel was wonderful for us in every way. It has a very European feel to it. Whoever owns or manages this hotel takes a lot of pride in what they're doing. First, the room was immaculate. The bed and sheets were high quality and super comfortable. Our room was situated in a way that we heard no outside noise from other guests or elevator. We had a superior queen which was not too small by NYC standards. The breakfast was lovely in every way. It was a nice way to start the day before heading out to see the sights. The food was very fresh and they took a lot of care with it. We also enjoyed the evening wine & cheese. Again, done very nicely. The people that work at this hotel get an A plus in my book. They were so friendly and always wanting to assist us in any way they could. You never felt like you were bothering them. The location....we loved it. 3 blocks over to Central Park and the Met. Subway was right around the corner. We will stay here again the next time we come to NYC. This is the first time I have ever taken the time to write a review and we travel a lot. It's so refreshing to go to a hotel that takes pride in what they're doing. It is a boutique hotel so if you like big Marriotts, this is not the place for you.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

Always amusing to come back and read reviews after having visited a hotel. On reflection I think that most of the reviews of this hotel are pretty accurate except for the the one who seemed determined to complain about everything and expected to be treated like royalty! Yes - the rooms are small but beautifully appointed. Yes - the dining area is also small but the breakfast is great. The intimate wine and cheese tasting in the evening is an unexpected bonus. We met another couple and went out for dinner on the strength of having a laugh over a few glasses at The Franklin. Also - the desk staff were extremely helpful and obliging. Overall - I defy anyone to find this standard of hotel in Manhattan for the money.

• Liked — Location and standard of service
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Franklin? Share your experiences!