“The Franklin” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Franklin

You added The Franklin to your Saves list
The Franklin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   164 E 87th St, Off Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #320 of 466 Hotels in New York City
New York
“The Franklin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Great staff, but the quality of the hotel has suffered over the years. The internet is terrible. I keep going back (although less so), because I love the staff and neighborhood. I have stayed here many years, but they need to spruce up the joint!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Carolyn B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear our location and staff keep you coming back. Please let us know next time you're in New York if you'd like to come visit us again, and we’ll accommodate you with a room that better suits your needs. Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best,

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have stayed all over the US and Europe in similarly priced rooms. This was the smallest and dingiest room I have been in for the price I paid. I live in London, and frequently travel, so I am including rooms in Paris, London, and New York In my comparison. Had I paid $200 or so dollars a night instead of upwards of $400 I would have been satisfied with my room and my experience there

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars

1 Thank claizy
Dear Claizy,

Thanks for the feedback on your most recent stay. I'm disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your room; this is definitely not typical of the service we offer at our hotel. IIf you are ever in New York again, please feel free to reach out to us as we would be more than happy to try and make it up to you.

New Egypy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Perfect upper eastside location when visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Very nice neighborhood. The older hotel is updated tastefully to be modern yet charming. Pleasant staff and reasonable breakfast served in a cozy setting.

Dear Lorrie G,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Franklin. I’m glad you found our rooms were cleaned to your satisfaction and our amenities were up to your standards. We value your comments and we will take your feed back in order to continue to provide quality service. Our location is one of the key features that makes our property special and a true hidden gem! My team and I look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Regards,

Springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Franklin proved to be an extremely acceptable pleasant stay. Didn't expect to have wine and cheese service; nice surprise. The bed was super comfy and considering space is premium in New York our room had everything needed for a short stay. Within walking distance to everything New York - museums, Central Park, the Tank nice local restaurants.

Dear Betsy S,

Thank you staying with us here at The Franklin and for providing us feedback following your stay. We pride ourselves in providing the best customer service experience possible. I’m very pleased that you loved the location of The Franklin. It’s definitely one of the major features that makes our hotel so special. It brings me great pleasure to know that you were most impressed with our breakfast, rooms, and bar throughout your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Regards,

Oak Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This 1929 hotel is a charmer. It is also located on the upper east side right around the corner from the Lexington Ave line. This 87th street location gives you a central location for the Met and other 5th Ave museums. The price was excellent, below the average $250 per night NYC price.
They had breakfast and an afternoon wine event, very cool. Our room was small which they tell you ahead of booking. The room decor was modern, clean, and the staff was great. Highly recommend for mid town lodging.

Room Tip: Pay attention to square foot dimension; rooms in the front are larger.
    • 5 of 5 stars
david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Ewhite0640,

We were delighted to receive and so pleased that you enjoyed your first stay at The Franklin. I am particularly pleased that you have mentioned our decor and location, it's one of the main features that makes our property so speacial. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards,

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights while visiting my daughter who lives in the area. You cannot beat the Upper East Side location near shopping, subway, bus routes, dining, the park and museums. It really bothered me the charming, period marquis out front wasn't lit up. Just looked like the place was not really in business. The service was friendly and efficient. The lobby was just blah - trying really hard, I guess, to be quaint, but it doesn't translate. It's dark and small and boring. I knew going in the rooms were small (my daughter had stayed here in the fall)....but doll-house like is a better descriptor. Or tiny. Or cramped. I cannot imagine two people sharing a room for more than a night. Closet and drawer space is minimal. The vanity/sink in the sleeping area is weird. The bed - supposedly a queen, I swear was just a full. The bath/toilet room is compact. I have to say the finishes are well done - tilework, fixtures, lighting, paint color....but it doesn't make up for the lack of space. The bedding was also on the skimpy side. The duvet was so tightly tucked in it felt short sheeted. And it was thin. The decorative throw at the end of the bed did nothing to ad warmth, and in an ugly brown did little to add décor. The worst issue I had was noise - not from the outside (I had a back facing room), but from all around. The floor above creaked loudly, and whenever someone near me opened their door, it sounded like they were opening mine. Not a restful sleep for a woman traveling alone when they wake up many times thinking someone is at their door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank pbgvluv
Dear Pbgvluv,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Warm regards,

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was my second time to stay at The Franklin and it was like coming home! Marla was so welcoming and making certain that everything was perfect. She always goes above and beyond to make your stay is as pleasant as can be! The service is excellent from all the staff. Love having my tea in the morning and sitting in the front room to people watch. The room size is perfect for us as we are only there at night or for an afternoon rest time.

There are so many great restaurants, museums and shops nearby. Love Candle 79 restaurant which is vegan and Felice's. Went downtown for brunch on Sunday to Lexington Brass which was fantastic. Look forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sleetcitychic,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear you chose to stay with us again. We will make sure to inform our front office team that you enjoyed Marla's service. Please let us know next time you're in New York if you'd like to come visit us again, and we’ll top your last stay. Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best,