My husband and I just returned from a 4-night stay at the Franklin and I can't say a poor word about the hotel, it was a wonderful experience.
Our room was beautiful and incredibly sheik. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the plasma screen tv was a real treat. The room was luxurious, complete with a ihome alarm clock and ipod charger, a beautiful cashmere throw, window seat, desk, beautiful chanderlier on a dimmer, and a full length mirror. An iron, hair dryer, umbrella, robe, and designer toiletries were all included. Our room faced the street and it got a bit noisey in the mornings but it's NYC so what else could you expect? It was certainly not an issue. The only thing I wish the room had was a mini fridge.
The room size was also not an issue, it was a King (upgraded for free w/o even asking) size room and had plenty of space and a lovely bathroom. Nothing is overly big but not awkward either, again it's NYC and I didn't go there to lounge around in my room for days on end. Overall I'd say it was one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever been in for the price and probably closer to a 4*.
The staff was pretty friendly, and actually very normal and not the overly perky, annoyingly fake type. The were very eager to help and always polite and jovial. The doorman is delightful as well.
The location of The Franklin is a dream as far as I'm concerned, it's right in hub on Manhattan's wealthiest neighbourhood, 3 blocks from Central Park and the Guggenheim, two seconds from the subway and within walking distance to all the best shops on the Upper East Side. Also we booked a hop-on bus tour and it stopped right in front of the Guggenheim as well. I couldn't have asked for a better location especially if you're after the museums, Madison Avenue shops, and the Park. Just east of the Franklin is a plethora of restuarants where you'll find something for every pallate and budget.
The hotel has some real perks too. The continental breakfas was awesome - chesses, pastries, the most amazing crusty bread, proscuttio, cereal, juices, and the fantastic cappucino maker. It was a delight and was all I needed to start my day. For the record I never saw the buffet run out of food, nor did we ever have any trouble finding a place to sit and eat. We only made it to the wine and cheese once but again such a great experience - delicious cheeses, crackers, and lots of free wine. Fantastic.
The hotel is equipped with wireless internet and there is a complimentary computer in the lobby for guests as well. I never had any problems getting time on the computer and I believe the hotel was booked to capacity.
The only reason I would stay anywhere else in NYC is b/c I do enjoy a variety but it would be pretty difficult for me to find something that would make me switch the next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only a short distance from Central Park, the famed Museum Mile and Madison Avenue designer shops, The Franklin Hotel is the perfect Upper East Side getaway. Built in the 1930s, The Franklin Hotel is located at 164 East 87th Street. This romantic boutique hotel features 50 intimate guestrooms, daily complimentary continental breakfast from 7am-10am and daily wine & cheese reception from 5pm-6:30pm. Ideal for single travelers or couples, all guests enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary NY Times & USA Today (in our lounge area), Philosophy bath amenities, and 24-hour cappuccino machine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Otel, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Franklin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Franklin Hotel New York City
- Franklin New York City
- Franklin Hotel New York City