“can't wait to go back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Franklin

You added The Franklin to your Saves list
The Franklin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   164 E 87th St, Off Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Culture and Cuisine
Ranked #285 of 458 Hotels in New York City
ontario
“can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 4-night stay at the Franklin and I can't say a poor word about the hotel, it was a wonderful experience.

Our room was beautiful and incredibly sheik. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the plasma screen tv was a real treat. The room was luxurious, complete with a ihome alarm clock and ipod charger, a beautiful cashmere throw, window seat, desk, beautiful chanderlier on a dimmer, and a full length mirror. An iron, hair dryer, umbrella, robe, and designer toiletries were all included. Our room faced the street and it got a bit noisey in the mornings but it's NYC so what else could you expect? It was certainly not an issue. The only thing I wish the room had was a mini fridge.

The room size was also not an issue, it was a King (upgraded for free w/o even asking) size room and had plenty of space and a lovely bathroom. Nothing is overly big but not awkward either, again it's NYC and I didn't go there to lounge around in my room for days on end. Overall I'd say it was one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever been in for the price and probably closer to a 4*.

The staff was pretty friendly, and actually very normal and not the overly perky, annoyingly fake type. The were very eager to help and always polite and jovial. The doorman is delightful as well.

The location of The Franklin is a dream as far as I'm concerned, it's right in hub on Manhattan's wealthiest neighbourhood, 3 blocks from Central Park and the Guggenheim, two seconds from the subway and within walking distance to all the best shops on the Upper East Side. Also we booked a hop-on bus tour and it stopped right in front of the Guggenheim as well. I couldn't have asked for a better location especially if you're after the museums, Madison Avenue shops, and the Park. Just east of the Franklin is a plethora of restuarants where you'll find something for every pallate and budget.

The hotel has some real perks too. The continental breakfas was awesome - chesses, pastries, the most amazing crusty bread, proscuttio, cereal, juices, and the fantastic cappucino maker. It was a delight and was all I needed to start my day. For the record I never saw the buffet run out of food, nor did we ever have any trouble finding a place to sit and eat. We only made it to the wine and cheese once but again such a great experience - delicious cheeses, crackers, and lots of free wine. Fantastic.

The hotel is equipped with wireless internet and there is a complimentary computer in the lobby for guests as well. I never had any problems getting time on the computer and I believe the hotel was booked to capacity.

The only reason I would stay anywhere else in NYC is b/c I do enjoy a variety but it would be pretty difficult for me to find something that would make me switch the next time.

• Liked — The luxuriousness and value of the rooms along with the location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

My husband and I spent a nice night at the Franklin Hotel in New York City. The hotel is small and on a quiet street and right off the 86th Street subway stop. Very easy to find. It is within walking distance to "Museum Mile" with most of New York's finest museums. Also within walking distance to Central Park. We attended a Yankees game and it was just a few stops along the subway from our location.
The rooms are extremely clean and small but cozy. Very pleasantly decorated and has all the amenities of the bigger hotels. Flat screen TV on the wall, fragrant soaps and shampoos in the bathroom, a nice comfy robe to wear during your stay, and a basket of snack choices in the room for purchase. There are very modern phones and clock/radio/alarm and blow dryers in each room as well. Very comfortable bed. We had a King Room and had sufficient room inside. Alot of the reviews scared us about the size of the rooms but we had no trouble. It is probably pretty typical of the rooms in a city like New York and very typical of the rooms we have stayed in Europe.
The Hotel offers a nice Continental breakfast in the morning from 7 to 10 am....Cheese, breads, sweet rolls, croissants, jam and jellies as well as several kinds of cereals with milk. Also hot beverages, coffees, espresso, latte, capucchino, hot chocolate, and teas. There is also a wine and cheese hour in the early evening but we were not there at that time to see what it was all about. The hotel has internet access but we did not have a computer with us to try it out. There was a computer in the lobby for guests.
The staff was very nice and helped us with anything we asked from directions to advise on restaurants. We did try the La Cucina Italian restaurant that several of the reviewers here mentioned and we had a delicious meal for a reasonable price.
We would definitely stay at the Franklin again! We navigated the city by day and found the Franklin to be a very welcome spot to return at night.

• Liked — Great Value
  • Disliked — Nothing to report
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

This hotel is tiny. We booked a superior queen and without knowing it were upgraded to a Deluxe King. Even that room was ridiculously small. Take a look at the pictures on their website. The photographer has done wonders making it look bigger than it feels. There is not enough room to leave your case open apart from on the bed. There is no choice but to unpack into the wardrobe. I wanted to use the supplied ironing board and could only do so in the bathroom. I have never stayed in a place so small even as a single in a bed and breakfast.

The room was booked as a double but was only supplied for a single person. One set of towels, one glass, one robe, etc. We had to ask for a second set of towels etc. and only got exactly what we asked for 1 large, 1 small towel, no face cloth and none of the extra accoutrements.

Breakfast was nice if you don't mind eating in a hallway. They had fresh fruit, pastries and cereals, though I was told they ran out soon after we left for the day, the food was good.

There was a mess up on the second day and the room wasn't cleaned. I guess a prankster turned over the please tidy my room sign. Did we get an apology? NO. Nothing, a single set of towels when we asked for clean. The others were still wet on the unmade bed.

The next day I expected an apologetic clerk, an offer of discount off our next stay or a voucher for lunch at a local restaurant. I've stayed at a lot of hotels that try to look after the clientele, most offer something when a mistake has been made. This place, nothing.

I will not be going back and I don't advise you to.

• Liked — The exit sign
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Walnut Creek, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

After seeing reviews here, we booked for 5 nights. We've stayed in Greenwich, Midtown, now wanted a different feel. Loved the location--1 block to subway--and the boutique-ness of the hotel. We booked petite queen but certain we got a king--fabulous! Bath very nicely appointed as is the entire hotel. Our room faced the street--pros and cons of nice light and street view along with garbage noise @ 7:30 a.m. What I loved was the continental breakfast and the evening wine and cheese. BUT they ran out of most items nearly every day for both events--well before the ending times. That definitely could use much more attention. The staff would respond by looking for croissants or crackers only to say they were out. Overall, the staff was friendly and attentive with one reservation. We arrived in NYC late and asked for nearby dinner rec, the doorman walked us to Bella Cucina across the street--definitely the worst meal we would have the entire stay.

Stayed May 2008
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

We were looking for a hotel that had a cool atmosphere and was reasonably priced and was on the upper East Side. The Franklin seemed to fit all the criteria. Their website wasn't working when I booked, so I called. I specifically asked the man I spoke with if they had valet parking and he said yes, even quoted a price for it! I knew the rooms were small so ordered the King Deluxe, and went down with my daughter for a 3-day stay.

When we got there, a very friendly doorman said, "no, no valet." But pointed me across the street to self-park. Okay, weird mix-up. I hoped for the best. Inside, a pleasant-enough desk clerk checked us in. The hotel was built around 1920, I believe, and has a lot of charm. There are two small but nicely laid-out public rooms--a front parlor and a rear area with tables and chairs. (More later).

The EXTREMELY friendly doorman brought us up to our room in the old-fashioned elevator. Elevator door opened to claustrophobia-inducing, narrow, low-ceilinged corridors. "You have the largest room in the house," he said. That made me happy but when he opened the door to our room, I almost laughed. I've stayed in tiny rooms in NY before, but this one took the prize. HOWEVER, it was spotlessly clean. The linens on the King bed were pristine and gorgeous. The bathroom was teensy, but again, clean. Nice amenities. No fridge. Bright (we faced the street). Couldn't open the closet door fully because it hit the bed.

Morning was best at this hotel. The complimentary continental breakfast they serve is really wonderful. First of all, they have a great machine that makes quite good espressos and cappucinos and such. For a spread, they had prosciutto, good french bread slices, good jam. Sliced fruit. Mini croissants that were flaky and fresh, not hard out of some bag. Pleasant tables to sit at, either in the rear room or the front parlor. Good selection of newspapers. They did a stand-up job in this department. (I believe they also serve wines and cheese at cocktail hour).

I think if this hotel had been in a more central area, or closer to the park, or if there hadn't been two of us in the room, we would have been fine with it, but we realized we felt too claustrophobic and stuck in left field after all. We ended up leaving a day early and going to the Ritz on Central Park South for our last night.

Stayed April 2008
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

My husband, I, and another couple just spent 5 nights at the Franklin. We had a Petit Queen, while the other couple stayed in a King. The Petit Queen is not for large guests: ours was small with a tiny bathroom, a very small box-like cloth hanger (suitcases will crowd the floor), and a wash basin in the room rather than in the bathroom. We had small carry-ons and the room size was just fine for us. The King had very adequate space, and a much larger bathroom. The rooms were spotless, wonderfully appointed, with great beds, linens, towels, and bath products. Great flat panel TV (which we never used ... being in NYC!), and cool phone and i-home alarm. The hotel is located on a quiet street, very convenient to public transportation. Service was excellent. Breakfast was very nice, consisting of a variety of breads and sweets, cheese and excellent prosciutto. The espresso/cappuccino machine, as noted by other guests, is a hit. Late afternoons, they serve artisanal cheeses and wine, a great touch and actually very useful when walking all over town during the day and wanting to relax for a couple of hours before going out in the evenings. The hotel has a nice sitting/reading room, the rooms have fine bath robes and slippers for people who want some relaxation. If I were to go to NYC for a work trip, this would be a top place to consider, mostly because it has a very nice and relaxing environment. As a tourist who wants to make the most of NYC, it is almost a pity not to take advantage of these perks and spend a couple of hours a days just hanging around this charming hotel. This has been one of the best hotel experiences we have had so far.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Handbasin: too close to bathroom door
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

Although I tried for countless hours to find something reasonable in Times Square, I'm so glad I didn't, and ran across this gem! It is in the Upper East side, right off the subway line, and it was so refreshing to get out of the hustle and bustle of Times Square each night after a full day of "fighting crowds". The streets around the hotel seemed very authentic, and we ate 2 dinners just around the block at a local pizza place and Chinese restaurant. No tourists, no lines. The staff was so friendly, and the room was immaculate. An older hotel (built in the 30's) with an old-timey elevator, but with beautiful attention to detail and very modernized. Absolutely loved it, and can't wait to visit again.

• Liked — the atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Franklin? Share your experiences!