“Loved The Franklin Hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Franklin

Save Saved
You added The Franklin to your Saves list
The Franklin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   164 E 87th St, Off Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
30% Off Sunday Night
Ranked #290 of 456 Hotels in New York City
Pittsburgh
“Loved The Franklin Hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is just amazing. The staff make you feel welcome from the time you book your reservation, check in and leave. Marla at the front desk was so welcoming and interested in her guests comfort. Jose was so helpful and went out of his way to make certain we had everything we needed. We have stayed at many resorts and hotels but the Franklin really makes you feel like you have just come home. Small boutique family feel. The sitting area in the front is a great place to have morning tea and people watch. It is also so convenient to attractions, shops and restaurants in the UES. Over all we just loved our stay and cannot wait to return.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear SteelCityChic,

Thank you for making the Franklin your choice of hotel in NYC. We love to hear that the staff made you feel welcome and that Marla took extreamly good care of you while at the hotel. The team prides themselves on service and from the sounds of it they exceeded your expecatations. We would love for you to come visit us again soon!

David Sandler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this neat hotel and it served our purpose.The room was very small but clean. We were surprised by the foot wide closet and the sink in the bedroom. The staff was very helpfull in all aspects. It is located within a long walking (for 2 senior citizens that did it twice) distance to Times Square and the Enterpise by the docks. If you tire of walking, there is a subway stop around the corner which makes it very convenient. If you drive to the hotel as we did, there is a parking garage just across the street. It would have been nice to have had a small refrigerator since there was no ice. We did ask for ice one late evening and it was brought to the room very quickly. When we returned to the room on the last night the entry card did not work but was promptly corrected. The price was reasonable for its location and the complimentary breakfast was a big plus. All in all for the location, cleanliness, and the friendly atmosphere it was a good value.

Room Tip: Pick any room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Fred K,

Thank you for selecting the Franklin Hotel for your stay in NYC. We were delighted to hear you thought the staff was very helpful and that you enjoyed location and the cleanliness. We hope the next time you visit NYC you will choose to stay with us again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Close to park and museums, nice neighborhood restaurants. As reported by many the rooms are very small. We had a mid grade room, and we can live with the small size. But the small air conditioner happened to be next to the bed blow cold air on our heads. We opened the window instead at night but the windows are not screened so they also let in mosquitoes. The bathroom was understandably small, we only wish that there is a little more room to put our toiletries, but great shower. We do want to praise the performance of some of the staffs. Receptionist Marla was wonderful, efficient, and helpful. The kitchen staff was accommodating and hospitable when we arrived early and the room was not ready.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Andrew C. T,

Thank you for staying with us at the Franklin Hotel. We are glad to hear you thought Marla was wonderful, efficient and helpful. Its also nice to hear you thought the same about the kitchen team. We would love to have you stay with us again so we can give you a warm welcome back. Hope to see you again soon.

Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Older boutique but nicely renovated; room is small (aka petite queen #65), but it had most of what I needed; I was there for business and didn't spend much time in it; I pick it because hotels near my office were sold out or very expensive; hotel was 45 minutes away by two trains so it wasn't convenient but I didn't realize that 3 miles in Manhattan is like 50 miles someplace else. It's close to Central Park and I thought I would get to go running after work but it was dark when I got back each night. The hotel had advertised free access to a nearby fitness center but then I was told they no longer offered that so that was the big disappointment of the stay. The bed was comfortable; I had a view of a brick wall but didn't bother me this time; There were lots of snacks in the room to purchase, including drinks, but no mini bar or ice bucket so drinks were warm; I found a safe tucked way under the desk on my last night as I was double checking that indeed there is no mini bar but otherwise couldn't see it from regular view. have to request iron and board from front desk; the TV remote power button didn't work but never could get it fixed; the room key didn't work when I first got it and I had to make three trips to front desk to get it to work; next day had the same problem. The continental breakfast was fine (yogurt, whole fruits, breads, granola, bottles juices, coffee); the staff was courteous; the 456 subway was very convenient; there was a nice restaurant right across the street and lots of shops and eateries; free internet; the room didn't have a closet but there was a makeshift 12 inch wardrobe bar behind the mirror but not big enough to hang all my clothes. no drawers to unpack; the sink was in probably what had been the closet in the main room with the shower and toilet in a separate room so a little weird but ok; i see from pictures from others that they had a different configuration for bathroom. window air conditioning unit that was a little noisy. Overall, there was some quirks but it was ok for just sleeping but if you are going to spend a lot of time in the room it will feel very small; If it was a really good price relative to other options and convenient to where I wanted to be in the city I would consider again but really missed the fitness center.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Georgia&Sunshine,

Thank you for staying with us during your business trip to New York. We are glad to hear you thought the rooms were nicely appointed and the location worked well for you. The next time you are in for business we hope you try us again and perhaps we can find you a larger room. We hope you come back and stay with us again.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I selected this hotel because it is less costly than just about all other hotels in Manhattan. The location on 87th St. is somewhat away from where most of the action is, but subway and bus are nearby. This building is old and tired, but it is clean. When I first saw my room (room 56) I was shocked, shocked at how small it was. The "closet" was literally about 1 foot wide. There was no place to put my open suitcase. There was a bed with table and lamp at each side, a desk and chair. A small safe was attached to the wall near the desk. There was a window air conditioner. My first impulse was to book somewhere else, but it was late and I wanted to get to sleep - with my suitcase occupying part of the large, comfortable bed. The staff were all very helpful. The complimentary breakfast is minimal but serves the purpose. Wireless internet in my room was sporadic or non-existent, but worked fine in the small common room downstairs. The major thing this place has going for it is lower cost - for a hotel in Manhattan.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger (but still small) rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear paulcoleman,

Thank you for choosing the Franklin Hotel. If you are in NYC again and choose to stay with us we have larger rooms which we would be happy to put you in to. We are glad you enjoyed the amenities of the hotel. Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Franklin in September and found it to be an ideal base for our first visit to New York. The hotel is a 2 minute walk to an express tube stop so we could easily speed up and down the city in no time. Also Central Park is just a few blocks away, with all the museums on your doorstep.

The hotel itself is small but we never felt overcrowded and always managed to get a table for breakfast or the wine and cheese buffet! Decor is quirky and homely, it genuinely felt nice to come back here after a long day out sightseeing. The staff were all brilliant, super helpful and friendly and chatty but never overbearing.

The room was very small but we expected this and for the price felt it was more than acceptable, the cleaner came every day and cleaned thoroughly. Facilities included a hairdryer in the room and air conditioning, and the toiletries were a little luxury, the scent will always remind me of our trip. The bed was big and soft, plenty of pillows and the shower was fantastic, really powerful and always hot water.

Breakfast was a nice bonus, croissants, cereal, muffins, cheese, fruit, juices, and yogurts, ideal to grab a quick bite before you go out or take out with you. They also have a hot drinks machine available 24hrs which we found to be a god send after such long days out ( no kettle I the room).

On the last day checkout was 12pm but if your flight leaves late the hotel offers to hold your luggage for no extra charge so you can enjoy more time in the city.

I would definitely recommend the Franklin to other travellers planning a trip to New York.

Dear jen1981,

Thank you for staying with us at the Franklin Hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time in NYC and at the hotel. We are centrally located which is a bonus to our guests and it’s great to hear that you liked all the amenities the hotel had to offer. Its amazing you will be recommending our hotel to future travelers!

We hope to see you again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

BEWARE!!!!! This hotel has just charged $70 to my credit card without my authorisation 4.5 months after my stay, without my authorisation and without contacting me first or explaining what it is for. I am from Australia and am having trouble contacting the hotel because there is no email address provided on their website only telephone numbers. EXTREMELEY DISAPPOINTED AND WILL BE TELLING ALL MY AUSTRALIAN FRIENDS WHAT POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. If the hotel reads this please email me at mgerada@hotmail.com to sort this out. I will also be looking at ways to make formal complaints through Trip Advisor.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear MelissaG,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your business is extremely important to us and I am sorry we have disappointed you. I have been in contact with our Director of Operations at the hotel and she has told me the situation has been rectified. We are very sorry that this happened. Thank you for letting us know as it helps us improve on customer service; ensuring we do everything for our guests. If you are every in New York again we would love to try and win back your trust. Thank you for your time and we hope to see you again.
David Sandler

Been to The Franklin? Share your experiences!