“we recommend the Franklin hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Franklin

You added The Franklin to your Saves list
The Franklin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   164 E 87th St, Off Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Met Tickets + Zagat Guide
Ranked #303 of 459 Hotels in New York City
New York
“we recommend the Franklin hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We can highly recommend this hotel. It was a very nice and cosy hotel and the staff was very serviceminded and friendly. We will stay at The Franklin Hotel again if we come back to visit New York.

From Denmark

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Karina Maria K,

We are very happy to hear that you were pleased with your stay and would stay with us again in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in a positive light! It helps our team improve on any mishaps and encourages them to keep their service impeccable.
David Sandler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
St. Louis, Mo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Franklin is well-located on a quiet section of east 87th. The hotel is quiet even when fully occupied. The rooms are of a size typical of a smaller hotel but are nicely appointed and very comfortable. Continental breakfast and a wine/cheese hour are well stocked. The hotel is fairly old but is in excellent shape and overall quite comfortable. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room, e.g., working there, it will feel cramped quickly. But as a place to get a good night's sleep it's my favorite in NYC.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Glenn M -

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to write a review about the Franklin Hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you liked the location, the room, and breakfast provided by the hotel. We know there are many hotels from which you can choose from and we are delighted that you stayed with us. Next time you are in NYC we hope you stay with us again.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Corolla, Nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had planned a quick trip to Manhattan to visit two exhibits at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and picked the Franklin because of its proximity to the museum. It's a quaint, pleasant, very European hostelry in a nice neighborhood, and very convenient to Central Park and the Museum Mile. Room small, but well-appointed and quite comfortable. Liked the included breakfast, and found the staff very helpful and friendly. Would definitely stay again on future visits.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Dear Donald L,

Thank you for staying with us at the Franklin Hotel. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the location of the hotel. We know there are many hotels from which you can choose from and we are delighted that you stayed with us. Next time you are in NYC we hope you stay with us again.
We look forward to welcoming you back!
Sandwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Gem on the upper Eastside. Close to shopping and museums. Old style hospitality. B & B with light breakfast. 24 hr tea and coffee. Wine and cheese at 5:30. Comfy room. Modern bath. Unreliable internet in room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear seabreezecapeod,

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The Franklin was a lovely little gem in a great location. The rooms are very small but very comfortable. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly and went out of their way to accomodate me. This is not a fancy place but if you are looking for a clean, nice place to stay in a convenient neighborhood..this is it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Dear KKiffa,

Thank you for staying with us at the Franklin Hotel. We love how you described our hotel as the "Hidden Gem". As you can see some people have said the same thing about the hotel and it makes us all proud to work there. Please come see us again soon.
Daniel Island, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I hate to rate the Franklin highly, because I don't want to give the secret away. Very nice European style hotel on UES. Good people, quite accommodating.

Rooms are small, but very tidy and cozy, Nice decor and in-room amenities. Literally a 5-minute walk to the metro.

Can't wait for our next visit --

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
david_sandler, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guineaman,
Your secret is safe with us…Thank you for providing amazing positive feedback of the Franklin Hotel. The team will be really excieited to read your review and know how much their hard work pays off. We get really happy to hear that our guests will become repeat guests the next time they visit us again in NYC. We look forward to welcoming you back.
crozier
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

First the good points . The hotel is very centrally located and the room though small ( similar to rooms in Paris) are very clean . The one I was allocated was on the second floor which had a view of a brick wall and a back street .

I was over on business for five days and as many other users have mentioned , the A/C is the loudest I have ever encountered . I asked front desk abouit it and was told someone would look into it , but that never occured - I don't think I was the first person to ask about it that week. I was there two weeks ago ,when NYC was very hot and humidity likewise high . The choice was to have the A/C off and really sweat , or to put it on and be comfortable , either way I didn't sleep ( great preperation for business - NOT !)

It was advertised as a four star Boutique hotel . At the very most in the UK, this would be a three star bed & continental breakfast ( the breakfast room is very small .) NB There are many Deli's/Cafe's nearby if you require a full breakfast . (Additional I'd asked for a turn around on cleaning some shirts , that couldn't be guaranteed , there is a laundry opposite the hotel which will do that and reasonably priced .)

What upset me the most , was when checking out , the front desk asked did I require a Taxi to the airport . They gave me a quote (excluding tip ) of $60 including the toll . Which I was happy with . A yellow cab on the way from JFK to the hotel was the same. I asked could I pay by CC & was told that I could .

The car picked me up ( not a yellow cab) and early on in the journey I asked for confirmation of the price , the driver said that it was $65 excluding toll and that I would have to give his HQ controller my CC details over the phone . Which because of card security I was very reluctant to do . I disputed the quote then I phoned the Franklin front desk to ask about the origional quote , which they denied giving me , then the driver became quite aggressive . I was so tired that I gave up arguing & paid the fare, in cash. Like the A/C I don't think this will of been the first time that this has happened to guests at the Franklin ( I assume that the front desk have a relationship with this taxi company.) If you are going to use this service I'd encourage hotel guests not to , but if you are I'd ask the front desk to write down the quote & initial it ,otherwise use a yellow cab , or call a reputable limousine service , who'll text or email you a quote.

Overall I was very disappointed in my stay , I wouldn't book in here again or recommend it to friends or business colleagues . My experience left a very bad taste .

Room Tip: I couldn't give a tip , as I didn't see any other rooms , though I'd just ask to be chan...