In Manhatten, location, location, location means everything and this little boutique hotel is located close enough to the action but far enough away that you don’t feel like you’re in the middle of the throngs of tourist that come to New York. Located on the Upper East Side just a couple of blocks from Central Park and the Museums Mile, the Franklin offers clean well decorated rooms. I thought the bed was great, but my wife thought it was just too soft. Continental breakfast every morning starts off your day and will tie you over until lunch. And the staff is friendly and very helpful with recommendations for dinner to ordering a car. So the good news is location, nice rooms, and friendly staff.
Now for the bad news. Since this is an older building central air conditions is non-existent and the rooms have window style swamp coolers. Our window AC unit was noisy to the extent that in order to sleep we had to turn it off….but then you wake up in a sweat….so you have to turn back on the AC unit…..and the cycle repeats itself. Unfortunately, if you come during the warmer months, such as summer, expect the possibility of a noisy AC unit.
Every afternoon, wine and cheese is served. This was actually a selling point for my wife, but after experiencing the afternoon wine and cheese….it was no longer a benefit. The wine was just OK but the cheese was cubed cheddar and Monterey Jack – so don’t drop what you are doing to have wine and cheese and think it will be something special. Bring your own cheese and the Franklin will supply the wine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only a short distance from Central Park, the famed Museum Mile and Madison Avenue designer shops, The Franklin Hotel is the perfect Upper East Side getaway. Built in the 1930s, The Franklin Hotel is located at 164 East 87th Street. This romantic boutique hotel features 50 intimate guestrooms, daily complimentary continental breakfast from 7am-10am and daily wine & cheese reception from 5pm-6:30pm. Ideal for single travelers or couples, all guests enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary NY Times & USA Today (in our lounge area), Bvlgari bath amenities, complimentary shoe shine, 24-hour cappuccino machine and New York Sports club passes upon request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel, Agoda and Venere so you can book your The Franklin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Franklin Hotel New York City
- Franklin New York City
- Franklin Hotel New York City