“My favorite boutique hotel in NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Franklin

You added The Franklin to your Saves list
The Franklin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   164 E 87th St, Off Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Culture and Cuisine
Ranked #299 of 458 Hotels in New York City
London/New York
“My favorite boutique hotel in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

I almost don't want to give away the secret! I love this little place so much. The rooms are small (some tiny), very European. However, the charm outweighs the cons for me. Absolutely lovely sitting room off the lobby - great place to meet friends, and the wine and cheese in the evenings is a great touch. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting the upper east side.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I like this hotel very much. Tiny lobby, small rooms, but charming and clean. Comfortable bed and good shower (minuscule sink). Excellent service. Little luxuries like European-style continental breakfast, all-day cappuccino maker, wine & cheese reception in the afternoon. I prepaid through Hotels.com. However, when I checked out, i was told there was a $12/day "service charge" for all those little luxuries. Front Desk staff told me I'd have to go back to Hotels.com to arrange for a refund. Left quite a bad taste in my mouth as I left. Not sure if I'll go back. There's nothing worse than hidden fees. For $350/night, you'd think they could spot me a cup of cappuccino each night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

A great little hotel; small, warm, friendly. Great breakfast - included in the room rate. 24hr coffee/tea in the breakfast lounge. Rooms small and lacking in storage for luggage but very clean (and I am very picky about such things!), everything you need, a very good nights sleep - and we stayed for 4 and slept brililantly the whole time. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again. Perfect for seeing the musuems...central park...and feels like a bit of peace from the hectic areas like Times Square.

Room Tip: Good hairdryer provided ladies :)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

At first I was charmed by this small hotel on the UES - old-fashioned elevator, small yet quaint room with a nice wall-mounted TV and comfy bed. Unfortunately the air conditioner was very loud, the internet wasn't working and the breakfast selections were meager, but I still planned on giving the hotel a decent review until I checked out.... I had booked and pre-paid on-line with hotels.com, but was informed by the front desk clerk that I owed a $12 booking fee to the Franklin. I said I thought hotels.com didn't have a booking fee and was told rather rudely to pay up and take my complaint to hotels.com. Of course I did and there isn't supposed to be a booking fee. Hotels.com called the Franklin for me and they confirmed that they had charged me an extra $12, but they called it a "resort fee". Give me a break - there were no pools, tennis courts, golf courses there - it was certainly not a resort! It's not the money, it's the principle. I hate being deceived and taken advantage of, and that's how I felt when I left the Franklin. I was told it was a "booking fee", hotels.com was told it was a "resort fee". If you're going to overcharge people at least get your stories straight! If you do decide to stay at the Franklin be sure you ask about every possible hidden fee first!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I went into the tiny dark lobby and asked if I could see a room. The person at the front desk was unfriendly and said the hotel was booked . I couldn't visit any room out of 50 ! The only place I could see was in the back. I was directed to see the back's tiny dark living room.The breakfast room was tiny and dark as well. The person at the front desk seemed annoyed with my questions told me they didn't have 2 beds in one room. I was inquiring for my brother and his son who are coming this summer and the person answered they would have to sleep in the same bed for $250 a night ! I had been talking to my sister from France on the phone and we both had such a different idea of the hotel from the website, I just wanted to let people know that this place is not what it appears to be!......

• Stayed April 2011
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

The regular room at the Franklin is a bit on the small side, but very clean. The bathroom was clean with Bulgari products, which was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the service was good. Breakfast was served European style and you can stop by anytime to grab a cup of coffee. Overall, a good visit and experience!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I went to NYC for my 25th birthday this year. Wanted to celebrate a milestone in a big city so I after searching the area I wanted to be in, I found a good rate for this hotel. After reading some other reviews I decided it ranked the best one for the price. I was really nervous since this was my first time to the big apple. The hotel was right in the middle of everything! I was so excited. When I arrived, the bellman was quick and polite. The front desk help was awesome. The elevator was old (right out of a movie), cool to experience it. My room was small but so perfect for me. With the windows closed, you couldn't hear any outside noise which was a plus but wouldn't have been a killer since I was there to experience the city. It was modern, completely chic and clean! The shower was hot and the robe/slippers provided by the hotel just 'glammed' it even more. The sheets, comforter and towels were all plush. Honestly, I almost took the overlay-blanket home it was so comfortable and cozy. This hotel room was just as nice as any suites I've stayed at in Vegas. Location was perfect, hotel staff was great and I will definitely return!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Franklin? Share your experiences!