“The quaintest hotel I've ever fallen in love with!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Franklin

You added The Franklin to your Saves list
The Franklin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   164 E 87th St, Off Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Fourth Night FREE!
Ranked #289 of 461 Hotels in New York City
Vail, Colorado
“The quaintest hotel I've ever fallen in love with!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I went to NYC for my 25th birthday this year. Wanted to celebrate a milestone in a big city so I after searching the area I wanted to be in, I found a good rate for this hotel. After reading some other reviews I decided it ranked the best one for the price. I was really nervous since this was my first time to the big apple. The hotel was right in the middle of everything! I was so excited. When I arrived, the bellman was quick and polite. The front desk help was awesome. The elevator was old (right out of a movie), cool to experience it. My room was small but so perfect for me. With the windows closed, you couldn't hear any outside noise which was a plus but wouldn't have been a killer since I was there to experience the city. It was modern, completely chic and clean! The shower was hot and the robe/slippers provided by the hotel just 'glammed' it even more. The sheets, comforter and towels were all plush. Honestly, I almost took the overlay-blanket home it was so comfortable and cozy. This hotel room was just as nice as any suites I've stayed at in Vegas. Location was perfect, hotel staff was great and I will definitely return!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We booked 3 nights at this hotel and loved it. We had read the reviews and were aware that the rooms were on the small side but then who stays in their room in New York. The bed was so so comfortable and we slept like babies. Behind the small lobby were 2 very welcoming rooms where guests could enjoy a continental breakfast. More than adequate and so friendly chatting to other visitors. The coffee machine was available 24/7 and if by chance if you returned to the hotel around 6ish cheese and wine was freely available. Very civilised!! The staff were so helpful and in particular Daphne was incredibly friendly and couldnt do enough for us. We used the subway which was just around the corner and had no problems getting about and so cheap. We have decided never to go to one of the big hotels in the hussel and bussel but to return here everytime. Fantastic and thankyou guys we will see you soon.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We are just back from three nights at this lovely little hotel on the Upper East Side and this is to say that we loved everything about it. The Franklin is comfortable, gleaming, quiet, lovely and clean. It combines the charming feel of another time with up-to-date features and amenities. The staff is extra helpful and friendly. The daily late-afternoon wine-and-cheese buffet is a very nice chance to relax for a bit before your evening begins, and an opportunity to chat with other guests if you like or just chill on your own. If you are planning museum visits, the major UES museums are quite nearby; in general the location is only inconvenient if you are a person who won't take the subway: a 4, 5, and 6 line express stop is just one block away. Yes, the rooms are tiny - we had a "superior queen," which while small is not the smallest room in the hotel (that's the "Petite Queen," which, seriously, is best for people of moderate stature traveling solo) but it suited us very well. If you need a lot of room, or come to New York to spend the days in your room, then don't stay here. But if you plan to be out and about, this is a great place to come back to, warm, gracious and welcoming. We are very happy to have found out about this place and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Petite Queen is best for single folks
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

that you do not have one of the rooms with the sink in the tiny tiny bedroom. I cried when i saw the size of the room and i am from europe so used to small rooms.

I checked the fire map and it showed that we had the worst and only room on the floor with the bathroom set up like that.(Sadly and ironically i feel we were put in this room as we looked so happy in the lobby and arriving that we would never dare complain as we were too polite-and we didn't at the time as i hate confrontation) t

I felt so sorry for the porter he was obviously used to people 's reactions when getting this room as he opened the door saying "please remember before u look in that rooms in nyc are small" then he sighed moved aside and the second we (just!) managed to shut the door in the room i began to cry. i cant remember the rates we paid but if you are paying 300+ a night please do check first, this was quite a while ago o paid less but still anything over 150 for a room like that is just ridiculous. but have just been promted to write this as am about to return to NYC

The actual hotel was very pretty and the furnishings in the room were gorgeous. if the sink had of been in the bathroom i could have lived with the size of room. It actually turned out to be quite funny by the end of the trip but i wouldn't want others to have the same shcok!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Our stay in New York was business nor pleasure, but the result of an emergency surgery. My husband was allowed to recuperate outside of the hospital.
The Franklin Hotel staff were kind and helpful; the bed was wonderfully comfortable; the room, though admittedly not large, was lovely, clean and comfortable. Great location, Upper East Side just off Lexington.
Those looking for a lovely, clean and unique hotel will definitely not be disappointed; we certainly were not!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

I just got back from a 6 night business stay in the Franklin. It was the best experience, bar none, I've ever had in a boutique hotel. The room was small but large enough for me to do yoga every morning, and it was stunningly designed. Every detail is something I would have wanted to have in my own home, from the light fixtures to the color palette, to the bathroom fixtures to the bedding. The free breakfast was always fantastic, and the nightly wine and cheese party, also gratis, was icing on the cake. I could get a cappuccino, also gratis, at any hour, which was useful, to say the least, while I was working in my room. (The wifi, as others have mentioned, is also free.) The bed was unbelievably comfortable. The clock radio had an iPod dock. There was plenty of room for me to store my clothes and empty suitcase in the closet. The shower was divine. Also, the 6 train is literally around the corner, so getting anywhere was simple. There's a movie theater around the other corner. Great restaurants and food within short walking distance. I can't say enough fabulous things about this place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Service was fine
The room as said before was small, it really is.
We walked every where and when tired took a taxi but it isn't central but you should know that when you book!
The breakfast is great and the cheese and wine was great, there's not many hotels that will give you this service.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Franklin? Share your experiences!