“Good location & classy comfort” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #243 of 454 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Good location & classy comfort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

You feel posh entering the magnificent lobby. The staff was very helpful and they let me check in early and check my bags for the day after I checked out. The fitness center has free weights, machines and cardio equipment. The central location takes you away from the chaos of Times Square with the east side refinement. You are close to Herald square subways and the Flatiron district. Nice business center, too. The rooms are small, clean and simple. Everything is impressively clean and fresh. My only complaint about the room is the giant tray of candy, chips, water, and sundries for sale that is placed in top of the dresser in full view. It diminishes the otherwise luxurious high-end feel to the hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for upper level room. The windows were not double-paned and the trucks/nearby construction can j...
Green Features: They have a soap recycling program and energy efficient systems for temperature control.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The Hotel is an older style hotel but the wireless was terrible and could not work at nights. Also, the rooms were well over $300 which was not worth the price. 3 stars for me (average). I rated it 3 stars since the hotel service was okay and no wireless.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Rudy S
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I apologize for the wireless issues you experienced when you stayed with us. We were experiencing some equipment proplems which I am happy to say have been resolved. Pricing on hotel rooms in a city like New York do vary based on availability. You stayed with us over a very busy period hence prices were somewhat higher.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We were travelling with our 2 adult children who dont mind to share room with us.
Judging the size of the hotel rooms in Madison Ave area, we would be getting only 2 standard rooms of around 190 sq ft each.
So we opted for the very large Empire State suite of this hotel (625 sq ft) with 2 double beds, for almost the same price for 2 standard rooms.
this suite came with a separate dining-cum-living room which can easily accomodate 2 more single beds comfortably.
the whole suite gave us a lot of space for 4 adults staying in the same place for 5 nights.
the bedroom has an additional door on the side, so if you want some privacy, you can still use this access. unfortunately, the suite has only one bathroom.
highly recommend this to family or 6 travelling adults.

Room Tip: Corner suites are a good choice if you are travelling with family and would have to book 2 rooms.
Green Features: There was a room on the ground floor for guests to make their own tea and coffee and this proved to be very useful when we just wanted a cuppa in the morning before setting out. Thus saving the trouble of providing electric kettle and teabags/coffeebags in each room !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Avondale, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is an older property and while I really have no negative comments, there was nothing that stood out as above average. Clean, quite room, friendly staff, everything I needed and wanted. Right on Madison Avenue between 28th and 29th

Room Tip: Like all NYC hotels, the higher the room, the quiter
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Steven B
Thank for staying with us. We are very pleased we met your expectations and truly hope to exceed them on your next visit.
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The hotel is very chic yet inviting as you walk in, but what most impressed me was the friendly front desk staff. Very accommodating and pleasant. The rooms are larger than I expected from a Manhattan hotel and very well kept and clean. I had originally booked a standard two bedroom and they upgraded me to a suite which is always nice! I also liked that the location was on Madison Avenue and not right in the center of the loud activity of times square and madison square garden...yet it was still a close walk to those areas. Would definitely stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Brechin, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here with my wife as part of our 1 year anniversary holiday and it was great. Room was small but typical for NYC, had everything we needed. Concierge were great and planned our itinerary which made our trip so easy. Stay here for location, Darty.

Stayed May 2014
SILVER SPRING
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Let me start by saying that I am a Marriott Gold member and generally I always have good experiences at their hotels. I was excited to stay at Carlton and there were some nice things about the hotel. First, the lobby is fairly large and open (for NYC) and the staff was nice. I was checked in quickly and headed up to my room. I was a little shocked when I walked in because the room looked like a standard king rather than the executive king I had reserved. My primary concern was that the bed looked like a queen so I called down to the front desk to ask. The woman who answered was very kind, listened to my question and then put me on hold for 5 minutes. A man picked up and I explained that I didn't think my room even had a king bed. He then started in about how it's a historic hotel built in the 1900s and the rooms may be uniquely shaped -- nice to know, but not what I asked. That gave me the impression that they get a lot of complaints about the small rooms. He offered to move me to a different room but I declined. I appreciate the effort, however I wasn't really thrilled with the overall response. At minimum, the photos of the executive king on the Marriott website are misleading. The decor was nothing like what was pictured. I'm really not concerned with the size of the room because I was traveling alone but if you are a couple or a family traveling, you should be weary. Also, I called down the morning I was checking out to ask for a late check-out. I negotiated a time with the front desk person and then left for brunch with a friend. When I got back my key wouldn't work and when went to the front desk they were a little rude about resetting my key given that I had actually requested a late check out. On a brighter note, the location was nice and very convenient to different neighborhoods in Manhattan and the 6 train. Not sure if I would stay again at this hotel though.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Danielle B
We very much appreciate the positive words you wrote in your review and regret some of the concerns you mention. I do want to assure you that the room you occupied during your stay was an Executive King and that the bed is a King size bed. There are some variations in the layouts of some rooms as is common in a more historic building. We truly hope that we will be able to welcome back in the future
Vic Freeman

Been to Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!