“Very Good Location. Large Suite.” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #249 of 453 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore, Singapore
“Very Good Location. Large Suite.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We were travelling with our 2 adult children who dont mind to share room with us.
Judging the size of the hotel rooms in Madison Ave area, we would be getting only 2 standard rooms of around 190 sq ft each.
So we opted for the very large Empire State suite of this hotel (625 sq ft) with 2 double beds, for almost the same price for 2 standard rooms.
this suite came with a separate dining-cum-living room which can easily accomodate 2 more single beds comfortably.
the whole suite gave us a lot of space for 4 adults staying in the same place for 5 nights.
the bedroom has an additional door on the side, so if you want some privacy, you can still use this access. unfortunately, the suite has only one bathroom.
highly recommend this to family or 6 travelling adults.

Room Tip: Corner suites are a good choice if you are travelling with family and would have to book 2 rooms.
Green Features: There was a room on the ground floor for guests to make their own tea and coffee and this proved to be very useful when we just wanted a cuppa in the morning before setting out. Thus saving the trouble of providing electric kettle and teabags/coffeebags in each room !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Avondale, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is an older property and while I really have no negative comments, there was nothing that stood out as above average. Clean, quite room, friendly staff, everything I needed and wanted. Right on Madison Avenue between 28th and 29th

Room Tip: Like all NYC hotels, the higher the room, the quiter
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Steven B
Thank for staying with us. We are very pleased we met your expectations and truly hope to exceed them on your next visit.
Sincerely
Vic Freeman
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The hotel is very chic yet inviting as you walk in, but what most impressed me was the friendly front desk staff. Very accommodating and pleasant. The rooms are larger than I expected from a Manhattan hotel and very well kept and clean. I had originally booked a standard two bedroom and they upgraded me to a suite which is always nice! I also liked that the location was on Madison Avenue and not right in the center of the loud activity of times square and madison square garden...yet it was still a close walk to those areas. Would definitely stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Brechin, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here with my wife as part of our 1 year anniversary holiday and it was great. Room was small but typical for NYC, had everything we needed. Concierge were great and planned our itinerary which made our trip so easy. Stay here for location, Darty.

Stayed May 2014
SILVER SPRING
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Let me start by saying that I am a Marriott Gold member and generally I always have good experiences at their hotels. I was excited to stay at Carlton and there were some nice things about the hotel. First, the lobby is fairly large and open (for NYC) and the staff was nice. I was checked in quickly and headed up to my room. I was a little shocked when I walked in because the room looked like a standard king rather than the executive king I had reserved. My primary concern was that the bed looked like a queen so I called down to the front desk to ask. The woman who answered was very kind, listened to my question and then put me on hold for 5 minutes. A man picked up and I explained that I didn't think my room even had a king bed. He then started in about how it's a historic hotel built in the 1900s and the rooms may be uniquely shaped -- nice to know, but not what I asked. That gave me the impression that they get a lot of complaints about the small rooms. He offered to move me to a different room but I declined. I appreciate the effort, however I wasn't really thrilled with the overall response. At minimum, the photos of the executive king on the Marriott website are misleading. The decor was nothing like what was pictured. I'm really not concerned with the size of the room because I was traveling alone but if you are a couple or a family traveling, you should be weary. Also, I called down the morning I was checking out to ask for a late check-out. I negotiated a time with the front desk person and then left for brunch with a friend. When I got back my key wouldn't work and when went to the front desk they were a little rude about resetting my key given that I had actually requested a late check out. On a brighter note, the location was nice and very convenient to different neighborhoods in Manhattan and the 6 train. Not sure if I would stay again at this hotel though.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Danielle B
We very much appreciate the positive words you wrote in your review and regret some of the concerns you mention. I do want to assure you that the room you occupied during your stay was an Executive King and that the bed is a King size bed. There are some variations in the layouts of some rooms as is common in a more historic building. We truly hope that we will be able to welcome back in the future
Sincerely
Vic Freeman
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Needs the tiniest upgrade still but roomy, centrally located and the price was right for NYC. Just little more detail is needed - huge table in the suite but the covering was buckling. Also in need of a re-caulking in the shower. Overall very enjoyable and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Family group had three rooms - all comfortable and on different floors
Green Features: Not sure how they are succeeding but they are putting forth the effort
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Stockholm Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for business for three night recently and I had a very good time. Good location, nice decor, good service and good rooms. Here is a run down:

- location: very good and easy to get to
- standards: good quality four star type standards throughout the hotel
- design: modern with a hint of trend (ex the champagne bar on the mezzanine floor)
- rooms: fine, bright, reasonably sized and quite modern style. Bathrooms a bit oldish but everything worked. Nice comfy bed and a little bit of space to work from.
- Restaurants/bar: ok bar on the lobby level and a good breakfast and lunch restaurant on mezzanine floor.

The hotel doesnt offer an exec lounge and i didnt try the fitness room.

All in all, its not a spectacular place but its an absolutely fine hotel to stay at for leisure or business if you are on that area.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!