“Cute Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
penelope1976
“Cute Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Okay.. the rooms are extremely small. If you are coming to Manhattan looking for a huge room, then 99 times out of 100 you are going to be disappointed. I can only thing of one place I have ever stayed here with a regular sized hotel room.

The decor was really cute, and I thought the staff was friendly. This hotel is just about a block from Madison Square Park and the Flatiron building.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
vfreeman1, General Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Carlton Hotel and for writing this review. It is true that New York does have smaller rooms than most cities. We do have some compact room but also have a variety of other room types available depending on what your needs are.

Kind regards,
Vic Freeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Neither up town or down town... The nearest subways are slightly scary especially at night... I booked this hotel over 6 months before our arrival - it was for my husband special birthday. The first room they showed us to was the size of a postage stamp. The toilet was so close to the bed head, we thought it was a practical joke! The toilet was less than 2 feet from the top of the bed. When we politely said no, a larger room was found instantly - why not put us in the larger room first, especially as we were booked into the hotel for 5 nights? A comment was made via the radio to the bell hop - tell them we are full - it was almost as if we should be grateful. If the front of house staff had done there homework first we would not have had to change rooms. The comment was' we are full up and even though you are Marriott owners/silver elite we are not able to upgrade you'. We didn't want an upgrade we wanted a room - not a broom cupboard.

This hotel is considered boutique - I think this is code for old and dingy! Furniture in the room was oversized and very odd. Not chic! View from room was non existent - the back of the hotel a brick wall and the ducting from the kitchen. Breakfast offering very expensive - go to Essen across the road - staff are lovely, food is fantastic.

As they say in England 'Fur coat - no knickers!'

Cant say much about the staff as had very little interaction with them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am surprised by your comments particularly the English phrase you have chosen to describe us. We are a boutique chic hotel, a member of the Autograph Collection, Marriott’s newest luxury brand. We are very proud of this distinction and while it is true that we do have rather compact rooms we are within standards for New York City, in fact larger than many of our competitors. We publish our sq. footage and this is explained during the booking process. We have a variety of room types available that are much larger, I am so pleased to see that we were able to accommodate a room for you both.
I apologize for what your heard our doorman said over his radio. This is internal communication that happens between our bell and door personnel as they communicate to one another about whether guests require assistance or not. This comment was not made with any form disrespect to you but should have been made out of earshot. We have addressed this topic through a re-training exercise.
Tel Aviv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Came to ny for business. The first 3 days I stayed at the giraffe hotel (which was perfect and wrote a separate review) but had to move to the Carlton as that's where I was meeting my customer. From the moment I walked in I knew this is not going to be the giraffe experience..
The front desk were rude , the elevator was shabby and had bags of laundry just sitting there. The shower took me 10 minutes to figure out and the shower curtain was the type I used to have in the 80's..my room was very big and clean which is definitely a plus but everything other than that is just off !!! Breakfast cost 30 dollars as they charge 5 dollars for plain coffee, no slippers in the room and when I called housekeeping to ask for one , it took an hour to bring them up. The room itself was very cold and noisy and the view is depressing. I'm waiting to check out so I can forget about this experience

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for comments and for staying with us. We apologize for the service challenges you encountered at our hotel. I am however intrigued with your comments about our elevator; we have decorative marble flooring and fatigued antique mirrors on mahogany panels in all elevators. It is true that we have laundry bags on our guest floors and this unfortunately is what we have to accept as part of being of an historical building without a laundry chute. In all our guest rooms our guests have the ability to moderate the temperature so I am disappointed to read of your guest room being cold. Our Engineers are always on standby to offer assistance.
The pricing in our restaurant is in line with our competitive set of hotels in our neighborhood, in fact we are often on the lower end.
We do hope that you decide to return to us one day.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was a solo traveller although did not receive a discount for this compared to couple travelling so was expecting normal room. But room was v small and usual basics were not up to scratch - ironing board was tiny, no jug to fill up iron, no bathmat, bathrobe provided was v grubby and old, maids left me with no shower gel one morning leaving two body lotions instead which I never use. It was clean though. When I arrived at hotel, doorman asked me if I wanted a help with my luggage - I said no, thanking them, but they made a clearly derogatory comment in earshot "we were only asking if he wanted a help with the luggage" - not a good welcome to hotel. The doormen just ignored the guests - they chatted to eachother if two, or seemed completely distracted otherwise. Front desk, concierge staff, and bellboy were nice though. Requested view but had none with generator noise at back of hotel. Overall it wasn't a four star in my opinion despite a nice lobby.

It's a 3star review although I've downgraded to 2 as felt the service was careless and felt insulted as soon as I walked in by doormen. Better to have no doormen at all than the people who were there. Not good enough really, I'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for visiting the Carlton Hotel and for providing us with this feedback. We regret that a member of management was not engaged when you were here so we could have possibly made amends. We apologize for our service failures but are surprised by your feedback about our Doorman. We typically receive glowing comments about these employees and believe they are wonderful ambassadors for our hotel.
We do hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Cordially,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Carlton took the best from being a small "boutique" hotel and being part of the Marriott chain. Incredibly friendly helpful service combined with great breakfast, Molton Brown toiletries and a very adequate gym. All the staff went above and beyond to be of service. For instance, I had dinner in my room and the waiter brought my drink up separately rather than wait for my food (which wasn't a long wait either). The room was small but typical for its price in Manhattan. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Please come back… We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay so much. We are confident that you will enjoy your stay as much when you return.
Cheers,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We have just completed a 5 night stay at this hotel. The room was compact, and the small bathroom had an enormous basin which virtually blocked the doorway. However, the bedroom was very comfortable, the toiletries were Molton Brown and were replenished daily. We received a friendly word from every member of staff we met, and when we encountered problems with online check in for our flights home the reception staff could not have been more helpful. I would happily stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Carlton for your vacation and for your kind words about our staff. We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Cordially,
Winchcombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here for a five night city break. The art deco foyer is very impressive and the rooms were acceptable by Manhattan standards (ie not huge but certainly not cramped). We didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on the food and we did find the area where the hotel is situated to be not full of restaurants so you might want to plan your evening dining more carefully than we did initially. Complimentary coffee/tea in the business centre was very welcome. There was some external noise at night in the bedroom but what else do you expect for Manhattan? The receptionists were very helpful when we had problems printing off boarding passes for our return flights. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us for your five night stay. We are all so pleased to read your review and your recommendation of our hotel.
Please come and see us again soon!
Many thanks,
Vic Freeman

Been to Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!