“Noise issues” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Belvedere

You added The Belvedere to your Saves list
The Belvedere
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   319 West 48th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Ranked #186 of 459 Hotels in New York City
london
“Noise issues”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I'll start with the pros:-

Good position, near Times Sq, several subways close by, room’s quite nice decor and clean, pleasant lobby.

Cons:-

First room had adjoining door to next, we were woken at 6am by children in other room and could hear all conversations like it was in our room. We were moved to 11th floor but still had issues with noise, the windows do not block out the constant noise of NYC, it was like sleeping with the window open, I used ear plugs for the whole stay. The air conditioner could not be used at night as that was noisy too.
Housekeeping constantly forgot to replace things in room (cups, coffee, towels and flannels).
Bellboys passing on luggage from one to another and all expecting tips.
No free internet, $15 a day, come on, Starbucks, McDonalds and $50 motels give that free !
Biggest insult was $10 bill for telephone calls, all to toll free number - I used a dialling card service to call UK through the toll free number - total cost of calls to UK $1.20 but these robbers charged me $10 for using the room telephone - rip off.

Room Tip: If you like a quiet room go elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

visited New York as part of my partners 50th Birthday, w stayed 4 nights at the Belvedere which we found a pleasant stay. On the day of my partners birthday we came in to find a Birthday Cake and a we hand written card from the Hotel which was nice so Thank you Belvedere. The lifts we found a bit of a pain at times the length of time u wait to get one (we were on the 14th floor) and could prob have walked the stairs quicker. Its position is excellent and we found it clean with the added bonus of a fridge to cool drinks as it was very warm and a coffee maker in a little kitchenette type section of the room. I would stay in this hotel again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Good location for Times sq and Broadway, Room was large and clean with two double beds, unfortunately too short for my 2 metre height so had to sleep diagonally on one bed with wife in the other.Fridge in kitchen was noisy (solved by jamming shelves) Lack of kettle meant making tea ( being English) with coffee machine !
Lifts are a challenge, it was often quicker to use stairs ( fifth floor, not too bad)
Staff were helpful, T.V was not working on arrival, reported to reception and fixed by the time returned from dinner.
Local restaurants are good value, being away from main areas.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here two years ago in early October. It was a really good location if you're doing anything on Broadway. The people working weren't especially helpful or friendly, but it got the job done. The room was basic with no frills and everything was kind of old. The doormen won't actually open the door for you, even at 4 am when it's dead and you're leaving for the airport. Small bathroom but functional. The toiletries they leave for you in there are pretty good to use. The price wasn't bad for that location, which is why I chose it. Overall, I'd recommend it if you're not expecting anything fancy out of your stay and you just need a basic place to stay in a great location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tel Aviv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

In our 3 weeks trip to the US this was definitely the worst hotel (value for money) we have stayed in.
When you pay such a steep price for a night you have some basic expectations.
I'll start with the one and only good thing about this hotel: location. It's just a short walk to Times Square.
The room was quite small and looks old (not in a good way). Everywhere you looked seemed tired, ragged and dull. This hotel is in desperate need for an update!
We stayed in a double bed room and both beds were uncomfortable.
There was a small corner in the room which had a refrigerator and a microwave.
Wi-Fi wasn't free.

We will definitely stay elsewhere on our next visit to NY city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I read the wildly disparate reviews and was curious how my stay would be. My colleague and I stayed here on business. We compared our experiences and came up with the following:

NOISY AIR CONDITIONERS: Yes. Very. The in-window style are noisier than the below-window style in the remodeled rooms, but both are loud, and the below-window ACs occasionally just put forth a loud rumble that keeps them from just being background noise. Having said that, and staying in a lot of hotels, unless you go for a Kimpton or Intercontinental, you're going to get AC noise. We won't stay at the Belvedere again partly because the knocking and rumbling fits and starts really did wake us up, but generally speaking AC noise is part of life.

SMALL ROOMS: Not really. On average, they are a good size, and larger than a lot of hotels in NYC. In fact, it was one of the good things about the hotel. I note a lot of folks who complained were coming from parts of Europe and can only guess the room size issue is a cultural thing. The water pressure was also good, and the closet and drawer space was excellent. If you're using the place to store your crap while you tour the city, it's got space.

CLEANING CREW: The crew did a fine job cleaning, but they were very poor at respecting privacy. One day, 4 times, they just let themselves in without knocking. Really bad... and the internal extra locks don't work -- the cleaning women just push right through them.

ELEVATORS: Yup, slow. And small. And Old. But fine. Besides, there were several staircases. The hotel is not a premium hotel. For the price (under $300), it was to be expected. They were clean and they worked.

AMENITIES IN ROOM: Fine. A few reviewers did mention that all the cups were plastic. It's true, and that definitely added to the "cheap" feeling, because they were prewrapped in plastic. That said, it was fine. I went to a liquor store, bought some wine glasses for $2.00, and saved $50,00/night on a room that provides real glass.

FRONT DESK CREW: Here I have to agree with many: surly, indignant, defensive, and full of attitude. They were marginally helpful, but you had to insist, and nothing was ever done with a smile. If there was a problem and they (reluctantly) handled it for you, as soon as they were done, they ignored you. I was having a problem with my room. At first, the front desk attendant told me there was nothing she could do and nearly accused me of lying when I told her I had already discussed the matter with someone. I stood firm and she finally handled the problem. Before I could follow up on the second request (to get my Internet code), she disappeared. No comment like "Is there anything else we can do to make your stay more comfortable?" No "I'm sorry you had a poor experience." Really really rude front desk people.

INTERNET CONNECTION: Fair. Enough said.

BOTTOM LINE: As a business traveler, this was not a good hotel for me. The Internet got interrupted, the staff wasn't helpful with anything (no concierge service, bad attitude), there wasn't proper (real) room service so I could work in my hotel. I won't be back, and neither will my colleague (he actually moved to another hotel -- The Tryp).

If, however, you are a vacation traveler, and are largely using it for a central location from with you are going to explore, the location and room size is fine and you're not going to get anything closer to Times Square and cleaner and larger than The Belvedere. Take it for what it is.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Belvedere? Share your experiences!