“Location, nothing else” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Belvedere to your Saves list
Hotels.com Expedia.com
The Belvedere
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   319 West 48th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Ranked #196 of 447 hotels in New York City
Tel Aviv
“Location, nothing else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

In our 3 weeks trip to the US this was definitely the worst hotel (value for money) we have stayed in.
When you pay such a steep price for a night you have some basic expectations.
I'll start with the one and only good thing about this hotel: location. It's just a short walk to Times Square.
The room was quite small and looks old (not in a good way). Everywhere you looked seemed tired, ragged and dull. This hotel is in desperate need for an update!
We stayed in a double bed room and both beds were uncomfortable.
There was a small corner in the room which had a refrigerator and a microwave.
Wi-Fi wasn't free.

We will definitely stay elsewhere on our next visit to NY city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

3,672 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I read the wildly disparate reviews and was curious how my stay would be. My colleague and I stayed here on business. We compared our experiences and came up with the following:

NOISY AIR CONDITIONERS: Yes. Very. The in-window style are noisier than the below-window style in the remodeled rooms, but both are loud, and the below-window ACs occasionally just put forth a loud rumble that keeps them from just being background noise. Having said that, and staying in a lot of hotels, unless you go for a Kimpton or Intercontinental, you're going to get AC noise. We won't stay at the Belvedere again partly because the knocking and rumbling fits and starts really did wake us up, but generally speaking AC noise is part of life.

SMALL ROOMS: Not really. On average, they are a good size, and larger than a lot of hotels in NYC. In fact, it was one of the good things about the hotel. I note a lot of folks who complained were coming from parts of Europe and can only guess the room size issue is a cultural thing. The water pressure was also good, and the closet and drawer space was excellent. If you're using the place to store your crap while you tour the city, it's got space.

CLEANING CREW: The crew did a fine job cleaning, but they were very poor at respecting privacy. One day, 4 times, they just let themselves in without knocking. Really bad... and the internal extra locks don't work -- the cleaning women just push right through them.

ELEVATORS: Yup, slow. And small. And Old. But fine. Besides, there were several staircases. The hotel is not a premium hotel. For the price (under $300), it was to be expected. They were clean and they worked.

AMENITIES IN ROOM: Fine. A few reviewers did mention that all the cups were plastic. It's true, and that definitely added to the "cheap" feeling, because they were prewrapped in plastic. That said, it was fine. I went to a liquor store, bought some wine glasses for $2.00, and saved $50,00/night on a room that provides real glass.

FRONT DESK CREW: Here I have to agree with many: surly, indignant, defensive, and full of attitude. They were marginally helpful, but you had to insist, and nothing was ever done with a smile. If there was a problem and they (reluctantly) handled it for you, as soon as they were done, they ignored you. I was having a problem with my room. At first, the front desk attendant told me there was nothing she could do and nearly accused me of lying when I told her I had already discussed the matter with someone. I stood firm and she finally handled the problem. Before I could follow up on the second request (to get my Internet code), she disappeared. No comment like "Is there anything else we can do to make your stay more comfortable?" No "I'm sorry you had a poor experience." Really really rude front desk people.

INTERNET CONNECTION: Fair. Enough said.

BOTTOM LINE: As a business traveler, this was not a good hotel for me. The Internet got interrupted, the staff wasn't helpful with anything (no concierge service, bad attitude), there wasn't proper (real) room service so I could work in my hotel. I won't be back, and neither will my colleague (he actually moved to another hotel -- The Tryp).

If, however, you are a vacation traveler, and are largely using it for a central location from with you are going to explore, the location and room size is fine and you're not going to get anything closer to Times Square and cleaner and larger than The Belvedere. Take it for what it is.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed at the Belvedere back in July 2013 for 8 nights. The hotel is well located close to Broadway and other major attractions. The hotel is a bit oldish but has a certain charm and charisma about it. We never ate at the hotel as well always preferred to try out at the many restaurants located close by. Hotel staff were very professional and courteous.Fast check in and check out.
My only negatives about this hotel is about the air-conditioning. During July the weather was fairly hot. The AC units was just too loud and and inefficient to allow for a good night's sleep. Tried fresh air from outside by having the window open slightly but that only allowed the noise from the surrounding streets in. I would stay there again if AC was improved otherwise I would looking at surrounding hotels.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Our first visit to New York City was made easier by staying in such a well located hotel. Less than 2 blocks from Time Square and in the Theatre District. The restaurants of Hell's Kitchen are also only a 2 block walk. Subway stations to anywhere in the 5 boroughs are all within 2 blocks. Rockefeller Centre, Radio City and Central Park are an easy walk. The hub for the sight-seeing buses is just around the corner.

This hotel is great value. It offers a fairly quiet location, clean, well-appointed rooms with very comfortable beds and very good customer service. Our room was an Executive King, so we enjoyed a large room (for Manhattan) with a king bed, mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker and a bar sink. The bathroom had marble tiled floors and walls, a tub with shower and stone counter top. As an Executive room it also came with free Wi-Fi. Some reviews complain the elevators are slow. We were on the 11th floor, so we noticed that, but it wasn't a big issue for us. They have a "governor" on the TV volume, which I can understand, but it's set so low you can't hear the TV when the air conditioner kicks in, or there are emergency vehicles nearby. Avoid using the internet in the main floor Business Centre. It's shockingly expensive!

Definitely recommend this hotel and would certainly book it again for a future trip.

Room Tip: The Executive King room is amply-sized and has a separate nook for the kitchenette. The bathroom is...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sugar Land, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Belvedere for the first time in October 2013. The room I had was the largest hotel room I have ever had in NYC and it did not come with the commensurate rate. The staff was helpful and the overall amenities were very nice. My room came equipped with a microwave and a mini refrigerator, which was good, but I didn't really use them. In sum, it was a good place to stay, located where i needed to be and easy to get in and out of it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The location of the Belvedere is perfect, close to 9th ave restaurants, subways, theatres and Times Square. The check-in was quick, with the staff being very friendly and efficient. The rooms were a good size, the bed extremely comfortable. A quick phone call, and a softer pillow was delivered within minutes. We had free wifi included with our package and found we had a better connection if we stood near the door. We stayed for 8 days on the 17th floor away from 48th st. We heard occasional sirens but this did not bother us as I think nowhere in New York is immune.
We had a wonderful stay at the Belvedere and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We were on the 17th (top) foor and found it very suitable.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed the stay. Location was just great. We walked to Time Square, Central Park and Broadway. The room was clean and well appointed.The staff were friendly and it was a quick check in. There was plenty of variety for breakfast. Hot and cold food. There were plenty of places to eat near by. The only complaint was the air con was noisy.

Room Tip: We had an executive room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Belvedere? Share your experiences!