“Great location, comfortable hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Belvedere

Save Saved
You added The Belvedere to your Saves list
The Belvedere
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   319 West 48th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Ranked #187 of 453 Hotels in New York City
San Clemente, California
“Great location, comfortable hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We really liked this hotel. The front of it is inviting, the lobby is warm and welcoming, the neighborhood is quiet and comfortable, and it's only two blocks from Times Square! Our room was quiet and very clean, and the beds were comfortable The refrigerator and microwave in the little kitchenette made it easy to store juice, cereal and milk. We stayed three nights, November 9-12, 2012. We felt this hotel made us feel "at home" and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room had a large open view, and was on the side away from the street, so there was no noise at a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about The Belvedere. The service at the front desk was top notch, Ilianna was the best and was very accommodating when I asked for a room on a higher floor with a view. The beautifully decorated Executive King room I was given on the 15th floor had a nice view with windows that open. The room was spacious and everything was brand new (not refurbished) as they recently remodeled. The room was incredibly clean and quiet, even though it was directly across from the elevators. I never once heard any noise from the hallway as the actual bedroom is set down a long hallway away from the door. I did hear a little noise from the room next to mine, but that was only because the people in there were shouting. Luckily, it only lasted a few minutes, otherwise it was quiet. The bed was a little soft for my liking but provided a good night’s rest. The room was equipped with a little kitchenette/bar area with coffee maker (including coffee, cups, sweetners, etc.), sink, microwave, and fridge. Very nice, well lit closet with plenty of storage space, a safe large enough for a laptop, iron, and ironing board. There was a working desk with a great chair and lighting, wired and wireless internet, good sized LCD television, a small table with 2 chairs, and another larger chair on the other side of the room. The bathroom was small but one of the cleanest I’ve seen at a hotel, and the water pressure and temperature were perfect. The hotel does not offer in-house room service, however, they have partnered with a few restaurants in the area that will deliver right to your room door for a very small fee (under $3). Patzeria is one of them and the food was very good and pretty cheap. There is also a great market around the corner, The Food Emporium, where you can pick up just about anything you need. I absolutely have to have cream in my morning coffee, so I picked up a small carton for the fridge along with some fruit and yogurt for breakfast. They have lots of prepared foods and baked goods as well, if you’re not looking to order from delivery menus. I have read several reviews here where people have complained about slow elevator service, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that the elevators were anything but slow, tiny and oddly shaped, but not slow. Perhaps they have serviced the elevators since those reviews were written, but I never waited more than a minute for an elevator...and I was in and out of the hotel many times during my stay. I would absolutely stay here again!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have just returned from NYC, being unfortunate enough to be caught up in Hurricane Sandy. The hotel did it's utmost to keep the disruption to a minimum and provided us with an written update every morning letting us know the situation. The lobby staff were particularly helpful in getting us to the airport in time despite the major power and transport outages.
Conveniently located in a quiet central area, this hotel was perfect for us. The double room has all the amenities you would expect (TV, air con, extra power sockets, bath/shower, kitchenette with fridge and microwave and coffee maker).
All of the hotel staff were polite and courteous to us at all times.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I spent four nights at the Belvedere in September 2012. The hotel is quiet and secure with very accommodating staff. Our room was large by NYC standards, very clean and comfortable. I believe the room was a deluxe king and came with complimentary Wi-Fi. The location is within walking distance to Times Square and the fantastic restaurants of Hell's Kitchen.We had a late flight out and there was no problem leaving our luggage or arranging for a cab in the evening. Overall a very enjoyable stay. For those new to NYC look for restaurants displaying an A on the door. The health department uses an alphabetical rating system and a A signifies no deficiencies.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The location is great, close to restaurants, and the sights of the city. The room was large with microwave, fridge and the rest of the usual hotel additions. The bed was large and comfortable with room to move around. Great water pressure. We did note that we could hear the people in the next room who were not loud but just talking, maybe on the phone. Not bad but you could hear them. Front desk did their job, cleaning was very through each day. We stayed eight days in November and paid for breakfast to be included, $20 per day per person. The menu did not change once in the eight days. I would pass on this option and eat at one of the nearby restaurants for a much better selection and price. We were there just after the hurricane Sandy and when the NYC marathon was to run. The hotel was very expensive during this time and very crowded. Long waits for the elevator.

Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for one week in October 2012. There are 17 floors, and I was on the 16th and it was quiet and I was able to get good sleep each night. Room was a corner one and near a service elevator where the cleaning crew got off and on regularly, but it wasn't too bad. But you knew they were there, and there's no sleeping in past 9 a.m.. That's about the time when they'd start getting off the elevator.

The bed was pretty comfy but a little sunken in, and I asked them to flip the mattress and they did. Breakfast was good in the hotel restaurant, about $20 for full buffet. Hotel is close to Times Square and many subway stops. A Dunkin Donuts is around the corner, and I highly recommend Amarone Italian Ristorante also around the corner at 686 Ninth St. Excellent food, wine and service. I went there twice during my trip.

Hotel front desk service was friendly and nice enough, but since there's so much to see in NYC and I was out and about each day, I didn't feel like I got the personal attention one might get when the front desk people recognize you and call you out by name or remember you and say hello. It wasn't their fault, but it sort of made me feel distant from my experience and people at the hotel, but it was still a pleasant stay and everything was comfortable enough.

For us ladies who like a lot of counter space in the bathroom, there's none. You have to use the back of the toilet, the floor, or flip the toilet lid down and use that to put your makeup bag, etc.

Small kitchenette includes microwave, sink and a dorm-size fridge. Coffee pot in room, and housekeeping stocks it with decaf and regular but not enough sugar or cream, so you'll have to ask for extra if you need any.

Hotel towel service was good, and even though there's a card on the desk in the room that says to conserve and if you don't want your towels washed every day, hang them up on the hook or over the shower, the maid still took every towel each day anyway and replenished the supply. (I put them on the hook every day.)

Overall, my trip was a great one, and I feel fortunate to have left the day before Hurricane Sandy. I do recommend this hotel. It was comfortable, people were cordial, and it was a convenient location. Views were great out the window.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ft Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was traveling for business and had planned to commute from NJ. Well, Hurricane Sandy had other ideas. I found myself scrambling for a hotel on a few days before my trip. I am adventurous and took a leap of faith on Hotwire. The Belvedere was the hidden option on the deal where you see the neighborhood and price point but do not see the actual hotel until after you book.

When the Belvedere was served up I thought "Fine. Good location. Clean reviews. All will be fine". I arrived after a long commute from EWR and the very clogged Lincoln Tunnel. The bellman was so sweet as he welcomed me to the hotel and helped me with my bag. Check in was seamless.

Yes this is an older hotel. Yes there are two slow elevators. But....Yes the staff is great. Yes the hotel is clean. Yes there are little nuggets of Old New York architecture throughout. And, let's face it, this is a phenomenal price point for a great location in the city.

I slept well on a very comfortable bed. The water pressure and shower temp was wonderful. I would absolutely consider staying there again when I'm on a budget. A good stay overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Belvedere? Share your experiences!