“Good Three Star Hotel in the Theater District” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Belvedere

You added The Belvedere to your Saves list
The Belvedere
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   319 West 48th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Ranked #184 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Asheville, North Carolina
“Good Three Star Hotel in the Theater District”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The location is great, close to restaurants, and the sights of the city. The room was large with microwave, fridge and the rest of the usual hotel additions. The bed was large and comfortable with room to move around. Great water pressure. We did note that we could hear the people in the next room who were not loud but just talking, maybe on the phone. Not bad but you could hear them. Front desk did their job, cleaning was very through each day. We stayed eight days in November and paid for breakfast to be included, $20 per day per person. The menu did not change once in the eight days. I would pass on this option and eat at one of the nearby restaurants for a much better selection and price. We were there just after the hurricane Sandy and when the NYC marathon was to run. The hotel was very expensive during this time and very crowded. Long waits for the elevator.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for one week in October 2012. There are 17 floors, and I was on the 16th and it was quiet and I was able to get good sleep each night. Room was a corner one and near a service elevator where the cleaning crew got off and on regularly, but it wasn't too bad. But you knew they were there, and there's no sleeping in past 9 a.m.. That's about the time when they'd start getting off the elevator.

The bed was pretty comfy but a little sunken in, and I asked them to flip the mattress and they did. Breakfast was good in the hotel restaurant, about $20 for full buffet. Hotel is close to Times Square and many subway stops. A Dunkin Donuts is around the corner, and I highly recommend Amarone Italian Ristorante also around the corner at 686 Ninth St. Excellent food, wine and service. I went there twice during my trip.

Hotel front desk service was friendly and nice enough, but since there's so much to see in NYC and I was out and about each day, I didn't feel like I got the personal attention one might get when the front desk people recognize you and call you out by name or remember you and say hello. It wasn't their fault, but it sort of made me feel distant from my experience and people at the hotel, but it was still a pleasant stay and everything was comfortable enough.

For us ladies who like a lot of counter space in the bathroom, there's none. You have to use the back of the toilet, the floor, or flip the toilet lid down and use that to put your makeup bag, etc.

Small kitchenette includes microwave, sink and a dorm-size fridge. Coffee pot in room, and housekeeping stocks it with decaf and regular but not enough sugar or cream, so you'll have to ask for extra if you need any.

Hotel towel service was good, and even though there's a card on the desk in the room that says to conserve and if you don't want your towels washed every day, hang them up on the hook or over the shower, the maid still took every towel each day anyway and replenished the supply. (I put them on the hook every day.)

Overall, my trip was a great one, and I feel fortunate to have left the day before Hurricane Sandy. I do recommend this hotel. It was comfortable, people were cordial, and it was a convenient location. Views were great out the window.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ft Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was traveling for business and had planned to commute from NJ. Well, Hurricane Sandy had other ideas. I found myself scrambling for a hotel on a few days before my trip. I am adventurous and took a leap of faith on Hotwire. The Belvedere was the hidden option on the deal where you see the neighborhood and price point but do not see the actual hotel until after you book.

When the Belvedere was served up I thought "Fine. Good location. Clean reviews. All will be fine". I arrived after a long commute from EWR and the very clogged Lincoln Tunnel. The bellman was so sweet as he welcomed me to the hotel and helped me with my bag. Check in was seamless.

Yes this is an older hotel. Yes there are two slow elevators. But....Yes the staff is great. Yes the hotel is clean. Yes there are little nuggets of Old New York architecture throughout. And, let's face it, this is a phenomenal price point for a great location in the city.

I slept well on a very comfortable bed. The water pressure and shower temp was wonderful. I would absolutely consider staying there again when I'm on a budget. A good stay overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I spent 5 nights at the Belvedere with my wife this November and we had a great stay. We were on the 17th floor with a king-sized bed room. For New York standards, it was reasonably sized with a desk to work, bed, closet, safe, and nice bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable with a pillow top - I am 6'2" and 220 lbs, so this matters!

The staff at the hotel are great - we relied heavily on the Concierge and he never led us astray! The gym is actually pretty nice with fairly recent life Fitness equipment. I would have loved a pool or hot tub, but alas, this is New
York.

When we weren't playing, my wife attended a conference and I worked remotely. The hotel lacks a comfortable place to hang out in a bar/cafe setting, so I visited other establishments to work and partake in the appropriate beverage for the time of day. I never actually ate at the hotel, rather, I treated the little Italian restaurant next door (Patzeria) as the hotel eatery. It has an amazing breakfast menu, lunch and dinner menu...and free wifi. Their dinner chefs are mouth magicians! Maria always took good care of us. For afternoon drinks, the West End Bar & Grill on 8th & 49th and is really nicely done, great ambiance, with free wifi, great local brews and pubfare.

The location of the Belvedere is perfect and I would stay here for that and the comfy bed alone. Minutes from Times Square and the theatre district, steps from 9th Street with incredible restaurants - especially the Thai. A leisurely walk to Central Park to find an urban oasis amidst New York chaos...or 5th Street to trade money for bags of goodies.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed here for my honeymoon in early November 2012. Before coming I called to inquire about a complimentary upgrade, I was passed back and forth on the phone between the concierge and the front desk but I was eventually told that yes there were a number of available rooms I could upgrade to for free. When I arrived I was told that the information that I was given was wrong and that the hotel doesn't ever provide upgrades. After that I was told to sign a form that indicated that my wife was a guest in my room! Why would I need to sign a form to have two people in a hotel room?! Overall the front desk staff was indifferent and rude during the checkin process.

The elevators are outdated, far too small, and incredibly slow. With only two running from the lobby this is something that is strange for a hotel costing more than $200 a night.

As others have said the showers my wife and I took while at the hotel are some of the worst I have ever experienced at a hotel. The temperature is inconsistent ranging from freezing cold to scalding hot every few seconds. You are constantly changing the temperature while in the shower. Consequently, a lot of water is wasted by the hotel because you must wait for the water to get to a temperature where you would want to be in front of the stream. This problem is particularly shocking.

Finally, I paid for Internet for the days I stayed. The Internet connection was barely faster than dial-up. Jpegs took 15 seconds on average to load. Some sites were blocked or throttled for no reason. A speedtest.net check shows that the connection only ranges between 0.12 and 0.3 mbps. If you want people to pay for the Internet at least give them a broadband and open Internet connection. This connection would be fine if the Internet was free at the hotel, but its not. Either make it free (which would make you more competitive in the area) or improve it. You're better off getting wifi at a cafe down the street.

The rest of the room and bed was fine but I wouldn't stay here again and would not recommend the hotel to others.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelLink, General Manager at The Belvedere, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Dan F.,
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. I'm sorry the service was not up to your expectations during Hurricane Sandy. As you know, the airports were closed and transportation in Manhattan was at a standstill. We did not have any rooms available for upgrades during this exceptional time because we had to accommodate all the guests who were stranded by the storm and the many who had reservations and were still able to get to the hotel. Our room and internet rates are very competitive as can be shopped on the internet at any time. We change our rates regularly to ensure we remain competitive at all times with similar hotels in our area. For the safety and security of guests, It is customary for hotels to register all who are staying in a room. I do recognize that the internet access and elevator speed was slower than usual due to the extreme circumstance of Hurricane Sandy and a hotel full of guests with nowhere to go. I apologize for any inconvenience and hope you will consider staying with us in the future to see that your experience was the exception and not the rule at the Belvedere Hotel.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great convenient and peaceful location for this hotel - right on the edge of Broadway, with everything just a short walk away - including a great family-run pizzeria/bar a couple of doors away, and a well-stocked deli on the corner. Rooms are clean and have everything you need including coffee machine, microwave and good size empty fridge. (No minibar). Having said that, the hotel could provide crockery, cups and spoons etc. to be able to make food and drinks in the room.
For me, this is more of a motel than hotel, with just what you need, but nothing more. It is a little dated for my taste but for the price, great value considering its location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Auburn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My sisters and friends have stayed at The Belvedere for 15+ years every November for our annual holiday shopping trip, as well as numerous times for shorter stays at various times throughout the year. The friendly and helpful staff make us feel like family each and every time we stay there. The rooms are spacious and very clean along with being equipped with a refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker. The location is perfect with a low noise level and a short walk to Time Square or 9th Ave for some great restaurants and bars. If you can stay more than a couple nights, the hotel runs a special with lower prices which make it extremely affordable. We would recommend The Belvedere to anyone planning on visiting NYC! See you soon guys.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Belvedere? Share your experiences!