“Highly recommended” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“Highly recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

A great hotel if you are new to New York, easy to find and well known, Right in the centre of things - possible to walk from the hotel to all the major sites - Empire State Building (5 mins), Central Park (25 mins), Fifth Avenue shopping district (20 mins), Bryant Park (3 mins), Theatre district (5 mins) etc etc. Hotel itself is gorgeous, all dark and wooden, lots of atmosphere. Rooms are nice although small (avoid the rooms next to the gym). Cafe next door is good for cheap bites and breakfast (the breakfast and food generally in the hotel is expensive and the waiter demanded that I left him a tip and wouldn't let me go til I paid it!) . In fact, all the staff seem very very (too) eager for tips, its puts you ill at ease - hope they are being paid by the hotel!

Stayed November 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

A persistent chiche about staying in NYC says you'll be outside enjoying the city so the size of your room doesn't really matter.

Only a very inexperienced traveller can believe this to be true about New York. New York is thrilling, intense and exhausting. Eventually, during any stay, you will want to relax in your hotel room. Give your feet and ears a break.

Unfortunately, the Algonquin does not deliver when it comes to rest and place to relax.

The rooms are tiny... Single Room Occupancy style. There's no place in the bathroom to put your things. All of the alley noise is clearly audible indoors when the window AC is off. Relax? Lay on your bed or sit in the straight back chair. Lighting? What they have works for an interrogation. Move around the room? Make a plan first and ensure nobody else is trying to move around.

The rooms are just too tiny to be useful in this modern day and age.

Otherwise, the hotel is coasting on its ancient literary reputation. Aside from the rooms, the hotel is too dark, dank and drab. Elevators are a joke. Staff smashes into people without so much as a glance. Ice must be delivered to the room, but don't count on it arriving when you need it.

And then the bell situation. Unfortunately, I didn't resist quick enough when a bell man took my bag to escort me upstairs. this amounted to a 10 minute question session where the bellman tried to get as much information out of me as possible. Each nugget was met with a commercial recommendation. I didn't need help.. but the man is obviously under orders to "market" the guests all the way up to their rooms.

And coffee makers. Those little tiny machines which add so much to any trip. Not available here. When I asked the bellman.. he said they were avaialble by request and he would put one in for me. I tipped him. The coffee maker never arrived. Even after I reminded him. I guess he figures once he's deposited me in my room, marketed me and then collected his fee, his work is done.

Might be done, but not forgotten.

For this money.. demand something better and modern.

Stayed July 2007
Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

My sister had to visit NYC on business and asked me to join her. She knows I visit NYC frequently and wanted me along to show her the town. Her company had booked her in the Algonquin because it was directly across the street from the offices where she was scheduled to teach seminars. We changed the reservation from a single to a twin and asked for an early check-in, 1 PM versus the 3 PM official check-in, and were assured they'd do their best to accommodate that.

We arrived shortly after 1 PM and our room was not ready, and the front desk would only tell us that they would "try" to get it done earlier, but that we should not expect it before 3 PM, and that they could not even estimate when the room might be ready. Hmmm.... So we checked our bags and went out to kill two hours. We returned after 3 PM and were shown to our room. The bell staff were, by the way, excellent. The front desk staff were usually chatting with each other and acted annoyed when they were interrupted to deal with a guest.

I stay in NYC, midtown, frequently. I have never seen such a tiny room for that price. There were two beds (way too soft for both our preferences, and I like a soft bed), a small night table which was already completely covered with a lamp and a phone, a very small desk, mostly occupied with promotional material and another lamp, and a tiny closet, made even tinier by the safe, telephone book, ironing board, and iron already crammed in there. Not a drawer anywhere to put anything except the one in the tiny night table, which already contained the requisite Gideon bible. There was hardly enough space around the beds to navigate without hitting a wall or furniture. And because we had to live out of our suitcases (since there was nowhere to put our things except the tiny closet), and the suitcases had to sit on luggage stands, that meant even less space. We were on the 4th floor, directly across from an office building, and the street noise (especially when they pick up the garbage late at night, every night, from the hotel's restaurants) was pretty loud.

The bathroom was similarly tiny (sensing a theme here?), with a narrow shelf over the toilet already covered with the kleenex and the complementary toiletries (from some Australian company I've never heard of). Another narrow, short shelf was over the sink. That completed the bathroom storage. We've got two women here for three days. You can imagine we were thrilled there was nowhere to put any toiletries at all. Additionally, there was a dark brown, nasty something in the toilet. When we complained, politely, to the front desk, a very nice maintenance man came right up, worked on the toilet a few minutes, asked for our phone, and contacted the front desk to ask them to give us another room. Sadly, they had no other twins available, or so they said. The maintenance guy did the best he could, but the toilet was disgusting the entire stay and never flushed properly. We were never offered any discount or even an apology by the front desk for the problem.

The A/C (it was extremely hot and humid in NY during our stay) was very loud. The free WiFi in the room was spotty and s-l-o-o-o-w. There was no coffee maker (besides, where would you put it?), and the free coffee in the lobby was only available up to 7 AM, at which time it promptly disappears. No coincidence that 7 AM is when their restaurant opens. Room service only provides liquor and breakfast, and that's it.

The good news is the gym on the 3rd floor, which is reasonably well equipped and FREE. We used it every day. Also, Matilda, the resident kitty, is a nice touch. And housekeeping was unobtrusive and thorough. Sheets on the bed were high quality.

We never ate at the restaurants, but were not very impressed by the menu choices and felt the prices were inordinately high. You can do much better with so many restaurants not far from the hotel. Red Flame is great for breakfast or other diner-type choices. Monster Sushi is a couple of blocks north, DB Moderne is two doors down (if you want to spend more), etc.

Frankly, we would never stay here again. For the money, you get nicer, larger rooms, more concerned front desk staff, and many more amenities at the Muse, Michelangelo, San Carlos, Benjamin, Warwick, Doubletree, or just about anyplace else I have ever stayed midtown.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Teeny tiny room with no storage
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

I love New York.
This hotel IS what's great about New York.

It is also NOT what most people expect from a USA hotel; including US citizens.

The rooms are adequate, clean and fairly small: but what the hell - if Allan J Lerner could write the lyrics of "My Fair Lady" here, surely I can compose a postcard on the rather nice desk.

The Oak Room restaurant is very well priced for a 'destination' dining room, and I ate the best steak I've ever had there.
The breakfast menu is good classic American hotel.

The lobby and the Blue Bar are possibly the best places to meet a date in Manhattan.

If you know, or care, who Dorothy Parker was then this hotel is for you.

nova scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

We stayed at the Algonquin for five nights and after reading a few forum reports on the hotel, I was a bit nervous about what laid ahead of us.
But we were pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the staff from the room attendants to the front desk staff and bellmen.
My wife is a touch fussy but she said she would have no problems staying there again and we will probably do so next summer when we will be back to NYC. You can't beat the location and the room we had was spacious and very quiet.

So, in conclusion this hotel was perfect from our perspective.

• Liked — The beds and pillows were so comfortable!
  • Disliked — The window air conditioner was a bit too noisy- we had to turn it off to sleep.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a week in NYC at the Algonquin. We LOVED this hotel from the second we walked into the gorgeous old lobby! What character this hotel has! The staff is just delightful - they go out of their way to be helpful and kind. The room was small, but all hotel rooms in NYC are small unless you're Donald Trump. The room was immaculate, as was the bathroom. The a/c worked great, shower was small but comfy and the water was nice and hot and had a good spray. The beds are amazingly comfortable!!! We were on the 7th floor on the back of the hotel so it was also quiet (no view, but we were only there to sleep). I will definitely stay there again when we go back! The location is perfect - 1/2 block from 5th Ave and just close enough to everything in Midtown to be convenient but still on a street that is quiet and peaceful. We did not order room service at all during our stay, but ate breakfast at the Red Flame just a couple of doors down the street every morning for a bargain (and it was delicious!). The first night we were there, there was a thunderstorm and we sat in that gorgeous cozy lobby and had a couple of glasses of wine and just absorbed the ambience. Lovely!!!!

• Liked — Historic aspect and beauty
  • Disliked — Smallish rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mlm2126
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

My fiance and I stayed at the Algonquin one weekend night in July on a lark, to see what it is like to be a tourist in our own city. We were greeted by Matilda, the resident "rag doll" cat upon our arrival and found the deluxe room tiny but charming. (In New York, one shouldn't intend to spend much time in one's room anyhow.) The halls were decorated with New Yorker cartoons and the entire hotel was full of little nooks and crannies. It reminded me of the Claridge in Buenos Aires: gracefully aged. One thing that impressed me--the rooms are entirely soundproof. We could hear nothing of the street noises below, nor of any fellow guests.

Overall, the bed was a bit too soft for my liking and the view consisted of offices facing us across 44th street; however, the Algonquin Lobby served tasty breakfast and lunches and the overall ambiance is totally elegant.

One tip: ignore the dining advice of the concierge; instead, walk down the street to Akdeniz Turkish Cuisine on 46th between 5th and 6th, where a delicious Prix-Fixe Dinner can be had for $19.95.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!