“Simply wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fullerton, California
“Simply wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

I went to NYC the week before Christmas with my cousin to visit family near the City. She had never been to NYC before, and I am originally from NY. I chose the Algonquin for several reasons. The historic building and literary tradition interested me. The location was superb. I had stayed at a nearby hotel on my last trip,and had visited the Blue Bar, and thought the Algonquin would be a classy, comfortable and personalized place. I was not disappointed. We found the hotel to be very clean, the service prompt, pleasant and courteous, and the atmosphere to be classy without being stuffy. Yes, the room was small, but it was immaculate, and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The decor is nicely resored, and fitting for a grand old hotel. We arrived during the first day of the NY transit strike, expecting general confusion and the famous NY chaotic pre-holiday stressed out hassles... after a very long and rather anxious trip to Grand Central Terminal, we walked the several blocks to the hotel (as finding a cab that day was impossible)... Upon arrival the hotel staff immediately made us feel like long-lost friends. The stay at the Algonquin was wonderful, quiet and very civilized... Room service was efficient, the doormen were pleasant and acknowledging without being personally invasive (a trend I would hope will spread in NY...) and since the hotel is less than two blocks from Times Square, everything was convenient and close. I will be staying at this hotel as often as I spend time in NYC. Highest recommendation!

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2006

after all the research, i chose Algonquin Hotel to stay for my 4 days trip with my mom and grandma. This place is close to many tourist places, just few blocks away(Time square, broadway show, fifth avenue, empire state building, rockfeller,etc.) staffs are friendly and helpful. The lobby is beautiful, cozzy, i had dinner at the round table, it was ok. i had mojito's at the lobby, it's great, must try! rooms are small, clean and neat.Too bad that our window faced to the back so we couldnt see anything from the window, but well we didnt spend much time in the room anywaz. during our stay, we watched the singing performance at night and it was great!The staffs told me they have this every weekend.
here are soem tips for people who carry their laptop wiv you, they only have free wireless access in the lobby, in the room, they have the cable internet but you have to pay usd 9.75 a day. what i did was, asked twice (two different staffs) to confirm that 9.75 a day mean 24 hours so then after 24 hours i've paid, it asks me to pay again for the next day, i called the lobby and told them what happened since i didnt use the internet for 24 hours(jus couple of hours). They told me to pay for it first and when i check out on the last day they refund the extra amount and only charge me the 9.75! but make sure you ask before you pay or else i m not sure whether they will do the refund or not, hope it helps=)

• Stayed March 2006
Derby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

Arrived back today after a 3 night stay in New York staying at the wonderful Algonquin hotel.

A warm and friendly welcome and from the minute you step into the Lobby you know you'll be in safe hands.

Room was nice - not big but wasn't small either and very clean. We went for a Queen Deluxe. The bed was very comfy and had 3 very good sleeps. Nice little extras like a jar of sweets, daily copy of the New York times and information about the legendary Round Table.

Very relaxing lobby, popular for drinks and the Blue Bar - more informal, cosy friendly atmosphere that also serves great snacks.

Oak Room - Didn't get a chance to look in here but from the elegantly dressed people going in - I've no doubt it would have been an unforgettable experience, cabaret and all.

We dined in the Round Table restaurant and the food was very good.

• Stayed March 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

My experience at the Algonquin was wonderful. The staff was extremely polite and helpful. They originally assigned us to a double and when we requested to be moved to a queen, they did so imediately and with a smile. It also should be mentioned that we were staying on the writer's discount and were still tended to thoroughly. The room service was excellent, as well. The room was beautiful and smelled warm and inviting--like a home, rather than a hotel. And it is true: the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept on in my life.

The entire experience was unique, unlike any other to be found in a major hotel. I much prefer the small, cozy atmosphere of the Algonquin over other huge, impersonal luxury hotels. The room size never bothered me, it was perfect for 2 people. After all, it is New York City--we were not spending hours in our room--there is far too much to do and see. Despite the fact it is managed by a corporation, it has retained its charm, warmth, and personality. That is a rare thing these days.

Oh, yes, and tea or drinks in the lobby is a must.

• Stayed August 2005
Highland, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

Ok, the rooms are small, but you can't beat the literary history in these walls. What a fun place. Love it, love it, love it. Hang out in the lobby and soak in the vibes of Dorothy Parker and gang. (But wait until you can get a good deal- - try not to pay more than $230 for a room.

• Stayed February 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2006

My wife and I finished off our honeymoon with 3 nights in NYC. We always travel around, and end up bookink things late, as we go. We were therfore a bit worried with New York, as there are more hotels to choose from than anywhere else. However, we booked 3 nights at the Algonquin 2 days before we were due to arrive.
when we did arrive our luggage was taken care of, and the front desk staff were really pleasent. The room that we had was on the 7th floor, and looked out over the back - but this was good! The street at the front is quite busy so it may well have been a better view, but it would have been noisey. The room itself, was perfect. Very nicely decorated, lovely comfy bed, very very clean and crisp. The bathroom was excellent too. It generally had everything you needed.
As we had mentioned that it was our honeymoon, the management had left a bottle of fizzy wine on ice, some chocolates and a congratulations card! Bearing in mind that our honeymoon consisted of 8 flights, and 10 different hotels/guesthouses, and that this was the only place to give us a gesture, we thought it was pretty special.
Regardless of the 'special' treatment, we thought that the Algonquin was a very high standard all round. The lobby bar is the kind of place where you are happy to have to dress smartly for. A great atmosphere. The hotel itself was perfectly located for our 3 night visit, being within walking distance of some wonderful sights, restaurants and bars.
I note that another reviewer was disappointed at having seemingly a similar room fo $400 per night. I suppose if we had paid that much I would have been a little, but if you focus on the quality, it is probably the going rate in this location.
Whatever, we were made really happy here - so thanks to the Algonquin.
ps - One negative, don't make any international calls ($$)

• Stayed January 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2006

This was our first visit to New York City and the staff at the Algonquin made it a comfortable and enjoyable stay for us newcomers. This trip was planned at the last minute and we didn't really even know where to go. The front desk staff was very prompt and courteous. The bellman immediately assisted us with our bags and escorted us to our room. Along the way to our room he helped us with some suggestions on sights to see and the best way to get there.We took his suggestions and despite a little bit of rain we had a wonderful visit. It kept us busy and wanting to return for more. We will definitely be staying at the Algonquin on our return visits to New York City.What a unique place to stay with a great staff.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!