“I would recommend this place to anyone” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #146 of 457 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“I would recommend this place to anyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

My teenage daughter and I went for a long weekend trip to NYC and stayed at the Algonquin. I had heard that it was very historic and quaint. The room/bathroom was spotlessly clean, while it was small, however we were not in the room all that much , The concierge, Daniel, was very helpful in recommending a nice restaurant for dinner, (not too pricey) and giving directions to shopping spots. Matilda the cat was ever present, making this place even more special. We stayed on the top floor facing the back, so it was very quiet in the evening. All around, a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed at the Algonquin for 4 days in October 2009. I thought the hotel was very charming, reasonably priced for NYC, and we received excellent customer service. The beds, bedding and pillows were perfect! I slept like a baby. I thought the room was quiet and while small, not unusually small for NYC. It was perfectly acceptable. The location was perfect. There was a doorman that was very polite and helpful in getting us a taxi.

The person who carried up our bags was extremely charming and recommended their signature martini in the bar. I am naive and didn't realize how expensive it would be -- $17! So unless you are a martini connoisseur or something, be warned! I wasn't sure if that was a normal price for NYC -- I did see a price of $14 elsewhere.

We did not eat there, but instead at at a place directly next door that is always packed but reasonably priced and good food.

We did have a problem with the air conditioner when we checked in, but within minutes after calling, a man came to repair it and we had no more troubles.

I would definitely stay there again. It is so hard to find the perfect place and let's face it, hotels in NYC are so expensive. So this is a keeper. The location was perfect, the service was perfect, the beds were perfect, they had an iron, they had a blowdriver, they had Bath & Bodyworks bath products, great towels, quiet room, great staff.......and a cat, this is my kind of place.

Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We just got back from another stay at The Algonquin in NYC, our favorite hotel. I never thought of it as haunted but treasure its’ storied history. However on our ride up the elevator during this stay a woman (a bit freaky but not a ghost) asked us “are you feeling anything on your side of the hotel?” My first thought was earthquake? I laughingly said “no the round table wouldn’t haunt the place. They weren’t exactly a happy bunch here– why would they hang around?” Then I remembered in a previous stay I was on the elevator and I heard the song in my head “I’m In The Mood For Love” and I jokingly asked aloud who was singing it? To my husband and a fellow passenger ‘thinking about it?’ They responded negatively as if I were nuts but I secretly enjoyed the communication from somewhere??
Back to the most recent stay. We are in the lobby again waiting for the elevator, the doors open to a woman who has luggage and is exasperated. I ask “are you getting off?” She responds with a little whimper in her voice “no I’m trying to get to my floor, the 9th floor but it won’t stop there!” I laughed and confidently entered the elevator, making a joke about it really being haunted but since we are regulars here we’ll ride to her floor and see her off safely! Meanwhile, it stops at every other floor – opens to no one and closes– very creepy, we finally got her to the 9th floor and return to our 5th floor safely.
That night while sleeping in the comfy hotel bed I am awakened as I hear a noise similar to moving furniture (a dragging as if on a wooden floor only the hotel rooms are carpeted). It is coming from above our suite which is 506. Dorothy lived and as someone wrote attempted to die many times in 1106. Now awake and alert I ponder the ghost hunter on the elevator with a sort of respect – not fear – I’m so fond of Dorothy and her gang, I know she’s not evil – I wasn’t afraid. Again the next day in the lobby we wait for the elevator, we get on but it’s tiny and 7 other people squeeze in and I start singing in my husband’s ear unconsciously “I’m feeling claustrophobic simply because you’re near me” to the tune of “I’m in the mood for love.” Later in the lobby over a very dry martini I Google the song on my I-phone – convinced the writer might have stayed here – to find out it was written by a very successful female lyricist named Dorothy Fields! It’s funny that we assume it’s the most famous haunting us. It could very well be anyone. The song was a hit as was the hotel for many years. I know I’m not famous but when I die if I could choose where I would hang out The Algonquin and New York City would be my first choice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

I wouldn't pay full price for this hotel, but it was all we needed for a weekend trip to the city: great location, good service, clean rooms. The hotel had a old New York feel and caters to older people. The rooms are small but tidy and well maintained. You could do worse, just don't expect a hip scene.

Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

First impressions of the hotel are of a bygone elegance with a feeling of a private members club. The lobby has art deco character with big-apple charm and was invariably lively, with all-comers revelling in the history and ambience of the hotel.
Staff are friendly and attentive, but their availability was rather erratic with sometimes as many as 5 or more staff around the reception/concierge, down to occasionally just one (very busy) clerk! If you need to ask anything, catch them while you can - don't leave it until another time as their may be no-one free to help you then! Don't read too much into 'small/slow lifts' comments. There are 2 available, each holding 8 people. They'll get you to your floor smoothly and more quietly than most, so those opinions are relative. Same goes for the bathrooms. Plenty of photos have been posted which show the rooms with a bath, a shower, etc... and easily enough floor space for more than 1 person. I guess some people need more 'space' than others. When it comes to the rooms themselves though, comments universally confirm that they are definitely small. The hotel's own site photos show only the larger rooms and suites, which don't form the majority of accomodation. Having said that, we had a large suitcase each, which were adequately stowed and their contents stored in the wardrobe and chest of drawers. There was still space and hangers to spare and with 2 armchairs, a desk and bedside tables too, there's a lot of furniture. So if you plan to spend time strolling in your room and want lots of floorspace, you'll probably need a suite here. Otherwise, if like the majority of us, you want a haven that is very comfortable, clean and provides superbly located accomodation that is just perfect for a respite from the day's strolling around New York sights, then you should find it here. Want a quiet room? Ask for one at the back of the hotel AND away from the lifts. (In New York, a 12 storey hotel is not going to offer you 'views' of anything worth seeing and all rooms that front onto the street will be noisy 24/7.) To help you explore the sights and get around in general, consider buying a Metrocard - a top up card for travel on New York buses and subways. Being so central though, there are many places to eat and drink nearby but I would suggest avoiding any of the restaurants alongside the hotel (although they are, perhaps inevitably, recommended by hotel staff) particularly the Greek restaurant, which is overrated, pretty expensive and the service slow PLUS there's not a Greek person in site, which whiffs of pretention. The exception is the coffee shop/diner almost next door (called the Red Flame I think?) which is always frequented by New Yorkers and it's easy to understand why. Highly recommended. Take note too that although hotel's own bar and restaurant are fine, their drinks are so expensive, it's hard to really enjoy more than 1 (eg. $17 for a glass of wine)
If they're important to you, you may also want to take the following into consideration too:
Pros: Housekeeping left a daily complementary bottle of water and the safe in the room was free of charge.
Cons: There are no tea/coffee making facilities and housekeeping never did a turn down service in our room. Minibar was available on request only.
Top Tip: Shop around for prices to this hotel. According to what some reviewers on various sites are quoting for travelling at the same time, we got an excellent deal. This has inevitably affected our viewpoint.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I got an amazing deal($100) with Priceline for this hotel, I got lucky! I stayed here for one night and it was a good experience. The only downside of it was that my bath tub got clogged while I was showering. The weird thing is that it must have been for a while because my hair doesn't really fal out. I didn't tell them because I wasn't staying there another night, but the tub was still clogged when I checked out the next morning. The beds were beyond amazing, I always thought Marriott had the best beds but this hotel beat them. It was very vintage looking but it was really nice. The staff was very friendly, the area is perfect for people who like to be near everything. You have Times Square a block down and 5th Avenue two blocks up. Good location!

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

Myself and a friend stayed here for 4 nights for a short trip to New York. I can honestly say, that the hotel was very clean, the beds and the pillows are amazing, I have never slept in such a comfortable bed anywhere else. The rooms are not the largest, but they offer most that is required and I would rather have a smaller room that is quiet, clean and well equipt than a large room that is poorly decorated and adequate!! The only things that I would suggest to the hotel is that it would be nice to have a small fridge or mini bar in the room, the hotel provide, courtesy, bottled water, but there are no means to keep these cold when the weather is of a hotter climate!! It would also be nice to have tea/coffee making facitities to set you up for the start of your day. There is a safe in the room and there is no charge for this, this is a real bonus as a british visitor as there are normally charges for this addiional feature. We did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the food, however, we did have a drink one evening and we did find this to be a little expensive, we ordered 1 x schnapps with lemonade and 1 x glass of wine and it came to $28!! The same two drinks in a bar would be $11, so its worth shopping around the bars for the best price. We also met Matilda the cat, she is gorgeous, although she was not in the mood for guests when we met her. The location of the hotel is fantastic, close to everything you need, we only used taxi's on our last day as our legs could physically do no more walking.... This hotel is well deserved of the 4* rating and the staff are very attentive and polite - we shall definiately return without any hesitation!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!