“Classic hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC
“Classic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The Algonquin is now one of the quirky Autograph range of Marriott hotels. The interior is lovingly restored, not modernized , but the standards are Marriott- best of both worlds. The reception is friendly - indeed every member of staff was a pleasure to deal with - and welcoming. The lobby lounge and Oak Room are pillared and clubby, the Blue Bar a tad more deco. It all has a lovely feel. Our room was a decent size for New York, though the bathroom (shower only) was tiny; if you can't fit comfortably into an airplane restroom, watch out. The room was a bit dim as the only window gave onto a 'light' well - but who stays in their room in New York City? Proper breakfast - not a buffet - quietly served in the Oak Room. Matilda the cat reigns over the place. Excellent location. Shirts are $7.

Room Tip: Try for higher up - and check the size of the bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Peekskill, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

For anyone who loves their pooch I highly recommend this hotel!! They were so friendly both to me and my little 9lb Pom! The rooms were very clean and quaint! I plan on staying here again the next time my husband and I have a fun weekend in NYC!

Room Tip: My stay on the 3rd floor were very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

In town for a weekend of shows and to see the sights of NYC. The Algonquin did not disappoint. It is really close to all the Broadway venues without being in the middle of all the noise and crowds. The hotel is in a beautiful old building with very nice guest rooms (modern bathrooms, comfortable beds, free wifi) and free coffee service 24 hours a day in the lobby. The property only had two elevators so sometimes there was a bit of a wait for the elevator. Also, the lobby was quite crowded with attendees for two separate events. Service was incredible though - every employee we encountered was so friendly and helpful! Great choice in Manhattan.

Room Tip: If you are a Marriott Rewards member, be sure the have your number on file as they just might upgrad...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I booked this hotel for a trip to NYC for my wife and I, I was really trying to make sure we didn't get stuck in a hotel not near anything we wanted to do, and also make sure that it was nice since I wanted my wifes first trip to NYC to be memorable.

Boy did I ever pick a winner in choosing The Algonquin, little did I know it's literary significance when I booked but my wife who is a writer knew it immediately and thought it was neat that we'd be staying in such a famous hotel. When we actually got to the hotel and checked in we realized immediately that not only was it famous but it was also a gorgeous hotel.

The lobby was a lovely little setup with chairs and tables everywhere for people to relax, the staff that greeted us was friendly as can be and we even managed to check in early to our room which was nice since we were able to get the trip started even sooner.

Our room happened to be on the 12th floor and away from the front of the building because we didn't hear much traffic during our 5 night stay. The room itself was on the smallish side but it wasn't anything terrible considering it is an older historic hotel in a major city, to be honest we loved the size and the bathroom really was nicely appointed and a good size to boot.

The beds were extremely comfortable and everything was in tip-top shape every afternoon after we returned from exploring the city.

Hopefully next time we visit we can afford another stay because the hotel really was great and we thoroughly enjoyed our time staying.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Truly enjoyed the time we spend at the Algonquin. It was like walking through a time warp each night when we returned. I'm not a fan of the crowds and noise in Times Square, so it was a breath of fresh air as we walked two blocks away from the core of the craziness and into the doors of this boutique hotel. The hotel staff always smiled and said "Welcome Back" each time we returned. This gave me the impression that I was no longer part of the faceless crowds of tourists and was walking into a smaller community of guests. The rooms are small but are spotless and full of character. I adored the decor, comfortable bed, and the stylish little bathroom. We had friends staying in one of the uber-modern hotels closer to the center of Time Square, and despite their bigger room and 49th floor view, I would pick the Algonquin every time. I would highly recommend this hotel for couples looking for a charming and romantic little spot in the city. We plan to stay there again, even if we end up spending more time in other parts of the city.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is my favorite hotel for a dozen reasons and while we don't always stay here, I ALWAYS have a drink here, EVERY trip. I have stayed in the past and the location can't be beat and the old NY ambiance is unparalleled. Having said that, if you can't stay, at least get gussied up and go in the lounge and have an old school cocktail-- its a wonderfully NY and rather genteel experience!

Room Tip: Its older so rooms will be small. if you plan to spend most of your time off property, it should not...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Northfield, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Just returned from a great week at the Algonquin. Service could not have been better; everyone was welcoming and helpful. We stayed in a suite, which was perfect for our family of four. There was even room for a cot in the sitting room, so one child had the pull out couch and the other the cot - restful nights all around. The bedding is fabulous, bathroom had plenty of space, and there was a closet to store suitcases, with plenty of shelf space if you want to unpack. If you are looking for a beautiful stay right in the middle of everything, this is the place.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor and had issues with street noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!