“Excellent Service and Hospitality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #139 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
“Excellent Service and Hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very good customer service clean rooms. The hotel has a unique style; much different from any typical NY hotels. It is perfectly situated were minutes (I.e. 2 minutes) walking from Times Square & incredible restaurants.The only thing I wish that the rooms were a little bigger; but it's New York:)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We, too, spent 3 nights at The Algonquin recently and took advantage of the $199/night deal, which included continental breakfast and cocktails. At that price, I didn't know what to expect when booking. Upon arrival, any expectation that I might have had was surpassed. The lobby lounges are sexy and always packed. The staff were friendly and attentive. The drinks and food were superb. The shower in the room was a dream and stocked with high end product. The bed was comfy and offering 24 hour complimentary coffee was a nice touch. The location is PERFECT and if I had the chance, I would return here in a heartbeat. Kudos to The Algonquin for a job well done!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I can't write enough good things about The Algonquin... The staff is exceptional (so friendly and hospitable - they took care of all of my needs and then some), the rooms/beds/baths are top notch - modern luxury but maintain a cozy/comfy feel (the hotel is part of the Marriott "Autograph Collection" luxury line and the hotel completed an extensive renovation in 2012), the hotel itself is charming and has a very interesting history and then you can't beat the location. A coworker recommended the hotel as it is her favorite place to stay in NYC and after my recently completed ten day stay, it is now mine too! I highly recommend The Algonquin!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here for an extra long weekend with our small children. The room was spacious and very comfortable. We didn't experience any of the elevator delays other reviewers mentioned and the rooms were quiet. We were on the 11th floor room 1110. By NYC standards, this room was HUGE. The hotel staff were also very kind and considerate regarding any of our needs. The location is great for a quick walk to Times Square and Broadway for theater shows. We will certainly consider this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Quick trip to NYC to visit family and see a play. Our night at The Algonquin was delightful. We walked from Penn Station in the pouring rain and arrived drenched and long before check-in. Our bags were stored and we were invited to relax in the lobby. We opted to go out to breakfast and our phone number was taken so that we could be informed when our room was ready. We were given umbrellas (ours had broken during our walk) by the very friendly doorman. When we returned we read in the beautiful lobby until our room was ready. We had requested an upgrade to a suite by e-mail and we were delighted to be given one on the 12th floor. It was lovely - a king bedroom and a separate living room and quite large bathroom for NYC. The hotel was very close to many restaurants and our theater (Lucky Guy with Tom Hanks was terrific!) Our morning coffee (free from the lobby) was disturbed from the noise of work being done on the heating system, but they clearly waited until most people had left for work or tourist attractions before the banging started. All in all, we had a wonderful time and will definitely return to The Algonquin. I am startled by the negative comments about the staff -- each one was friendly and helpful to us.

Room Tip: 1215 - a suite - was wonderful
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I just spent three successive stays at the Algonquin and was very pleasantly surprised by my experience. Although many reviews were positive, there's nothing like experiencing a property first-hand and accordingly I was not let down. Here's a summary:

Rooms: My first stay was in a standard double room. Credit to the designers for making such good use of a very small space. The room was decorated in good taste and there was pretty much everything I needed to ensure a good stay.

I do have three criticisms of the room, which go for the other two rooms as well: 1) Noise travels very well through the doors, so anyone talking outside can be heard, and more importantly so can doors slamming shut. 2) There are two tiny little push buttons above the bed which turn on/off a backlit photograph of New York. The photo itself is a fantastic idea, and really reminds you that the hotel is proud to be party of the fabric of the city. Unfortunately, however, there are two tiny little blue lit rings around the little push buttons which are surprisingly bright at night and did keep me awake. I did make a remark as such on the comments card so hopefully that will be reviewed, however in the meantime anyone sensitive to light at night might want to bring an eye mask along. 3) The cream/beige coloured material used to cover the desk chair and the little side bench in each room feels like it's made from very cheap plastic faux-leather. Whilst it may look good and be very practical against spills etc. it feels very cheap to touch.

Bathrooms: Very well decorated and appointed, can't fault much, except the housekeeping staff could be a little more generous with replacing the amenities, especially the shampoo and soaps! I found it a little surprising that guests are expected to use one bar of soap for both the shower and the sink. If it was tedious for just myself to constantly have to carry a semi-wet bar of soap between the sink and shower, I can imagine it would be even more annoying for couples that share a room together. Perhaps as an alternative the management could consider putting out shower gel in addition to the shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. Nevertheless that was just one complaint for an otherwise great bathroom.

Service: This is definitely where the hotel shines. The service throughout all my three stays was absolutely great. The staff are exceptionally friendly, treat you like an individual instead of a battery chicken and are always on hand to help if you need any assistance.

Misc: Absolutely loved the 24/7 coffee station (which is shifted from outside the business centre to the lobby in the mornings). It's actually great that guests can go and make themselves a coffee (which tastes pretty good too!) as and when they want; promotes a more relaxed and friendly environment which is what the hotel does very well. My only suggestion is that the management consider having tea available all day as well as coffee. Surely can't be too hard to do. The free internet is also a great idea, which I put to good use. It did tend to go off occasionally but in general I managed to get most of my emails done and browse the web without too may hiccups.

On my second and third stays I was upgraded to a larger king room and definitely noticed the difference. Thank you Algonquin Team for doing this, it certainly was a very welcome bonus to the entire stay. For anyone which a space issue I'd highly recommend the extra price for these.

Overall: A fantastic little hotel, absolutely great location with excellent service - would definitely consider staying there again!

Room Tip: Get a room on as low a floor as possible as there are only two little elevators that service all the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel truly is a gem and worthy of a 5 star ranking. Its luxuriously appointed rooms complete with ultra modern & sleek bathrooms are the perfect recluse from the hustle & bussle of this city. It is perfectly situated mere minutes (I.e. 2 minutes) walking from Times Square & incredible restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!