“Great Hotel Takes You Back in Time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #140 of 455 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Great Hotel Takes You Back in Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Staying in this distinctive hotel always reminds me somehow of being in an Agatha Christie novel. I love the feeling of being transported back into the 1920's in this historic locale where the New Yorker was first created and Dorothy Parker et al had their famous Algonquin Round Table.

When we checked in, the striking house cat Matilda was perched on the front desk wagging her tail to greet us. Though it retains all its historic charm, the hotel was completely renovated in 2012 so everything is fresh and up to date. Though the rooms are smallish as compared to newly built hotels, it does not feel at all cramped.

I love spending time in the lounge in the lobby. Great ambiance, incredibly comfortable chairs and a selection of newspapers.

The only negative to the stay was that one of the two elevators in the hotel was out of commission for the 4 days we were there, which made wait times going back and forth considerable. Still, I would gladly put up with that inconvenience to experience the charms of this unique property.

This hotel is now part of the Marriott group which provides the added benefit of its reward program points. The midtown location is perfectly placed between the Times Square theatre district, Grand Central, and Fifth Avenue shopping.

Room Tip: Try to get a room far from the elevators. Being old, they are rather noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Good: Tasteful renovation of the rooms and nice bathrooms. Bad: ridiculously small rooms, dark, crowded lobby, contemptuous front desk service, and 4PM checkin! You must be kidding. Offer a half day rate. Or just stay elsewhere. Frankly their residence inns are a fare better value. (Lots of hallway noise and no coffee in the rooms either.)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
The Algonquin, like many New York City hotels is a very busy place, with high occupancy year around. As part of Marriott International’s Autograph Collection the hotel caters to many Marriott Reward Elite guests who in their status benefits do have the ability to receive late check out when possible.

The hotel does welcome arriving guests and assigns guest rooms when ever they are available and when they are aligned with the room type that was selected in the reservation information. This happens throughout the course of the day.

The hotel knows from experience that by 4:00 pm the majority of guest rooms have been properly prepared for our arriving guests.

Thank you for your visit to The Algonquin Hotel.
Yardley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Algonquin hotel holds an important place in New York City history, which you can find on your own. It is a beautiful hotel conveniently located near Times Square and the Theater District. The lobby has beautiful, elegant charm with comfortable leather chairs and tables that just call your name to relax and watch the goings on. Our check-in process was quick and very pleasant. The room, a Queen Deluxe, was your usual small New York City hotel room but beautifully appointed with nice furniture and artwork. The hotel has its own sense of humor, with cartoons from the New Yorker magazine all over the place (related to its history - did you find that yet?) and also offering ear plugs (in the drawer next to the Bible) for those not used to the usual New York City street sounds, which we did not hear in our 5th floor room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very close to Times Square and Grand Central. Marriott-owned boutique has no real lobby (the entry area is largely taken up by a restaurant / bar). Many attributes that are par for the course for an NYC boutique hotel especially in this location: small elevators, narrow corridors and the rooms were very small but chic and clean. Service was friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have stayed at many hotels in Manhattan and this is by far the best one. You feel the history and charm the moment you walk into the hotel and while it is now owned by the Marriott, you would never know that (and I mean that in a good way). The people at the front desk are gracious and kind and so polite. I loved the rooms - the have been redone so well while still feel old world. The bathroom is small but had everything you need and the upgrades are quite impressive considering how small the area is! I loved the open stair cases through the hotel and the literary quotes on every door. The bar downstairs is the perfect place to meet people before going to Times Square, Bryant Park, Central Park or Rockerfeller Center. This is simply the best location to stay if you are looking for a great NYC experience. There are other comments on trip advisor about this not being a good place for Marriott Elites - i see the point since there isn't a lounge and other amenities, but the history and location far out weigh an evening appetizer!

My ONLY slightly negative comment is the lights on the bed posts have an odd blue glow on the on/off switch which makes the whole room light up ever so slightly at night - i ended up taping something over the light switches to darken the room - other people were commenting on this at breakfast too so I know i am not the only one to notice this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We took a quick weekend trip to NY- just my daughters and I to catch a boradway musical at the last minute and I wanted a suite near Times Square. Our Suite was huge for NY and newly renovated , bathroom and all......Just a block and a half from wehre we needed to be. Lobby is small but pretty cute- Iconic writiers Hotel. Not sure about those complained about the noise, but from our suite- we didnt hear anything. Dont bother with their private driver tehy suggest. I felt totally ripped off- he charged way more than he should have and times they quoted only took abt half to get to eveywhere during no peak traffic times. My ONLY complaint was the lame girl at the front desk- USELESS! I wish I would have complained but i loved my weekend way too much to let it get to me!!!! otherwise I would recommend this hotel to others in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Keep in Mind we had a suite and we LOVED! it!!!! awesome for families!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

One of the top historic hotels in the US, I found that the Algonquin was oozing with great character and friendly staff. I was traveling on business by myself and they made me feel really at home. My room was super clean and comfortable…not a bug in sight (as I know this can be a concern now with hotels in big cities). I thought the bed was pretty amazing and I slept very comfortably. They provided L’Occitane toiletries, so I wouldn’t have had to worry about bringing my shower supplies from home. The food in the restaurant was very tasty and they had a very comfortable business center where I was able to print my return ticket. Free Starbucks coffee 24 hours was a good perk too. I should add the hotel was in walking distance of a 24 hour pharmacy and a 5 minute walk from Times Square…very useful since I was under the weather during my visit. If I had to find a negative for myself, I did think the cocktails were overpriced in the bar, so I just didn’t have any, but that may be reasonable pricing for New York. My meal was only a few dollars more than a martini, so I felt the food was decently priced by comparison. However, breakfast was too expensive there for me to justify so I just walked over to the diner next door. I would stay here every New York trip if I could though. I think it’s just wonderful and I love the history of the place. If you’re looking for a big room, this is not the hotel to pick, but if you’re a history buff like myself, this was right up my alley. I found the room perfect and cozy and opted to walk down the beautiful marble staircases every morning instead of bothering with the elevator. I felt sure that was the way John Barrymore would have taken too and I just ate that thought all up. There’s also Matilda, the resident ragdoll cat. It’s been a tradition in the hotel since the times of the elder Barrymore to keep a feline roaming the corridors. I think that’s fantastic and it was a nice bit of whimsy to add to my stay. She’s gorgeous, but not all that sociable. My advice would be to stay here at least once. I can’t imagine anyone not loving it, but I’m not everyone. I think it’s a great bit of historical New York that needs to be experienced at least once if you’re given the chance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!