“Convenient Location and Reasonably Priced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #139 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Convenient Location and Reasonably Priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very close to Times Square and Grand Central. Marriott-owned boutique has no real lobby (the entry area is largely taken up by a restaurant / bar). Many attributes that are par for the course for an NYC boutique hotel especially in this location: small elevators, narrow corridors and the rooms were very small but chic and clean. Service was friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

1,178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have stayed at many hotels in Manhattan and this is by far the best one. You feel the history and charm the moment you walk into the hotel and while it is now owned by the Marriott, you would never know that (and I mean that in a good way). The people at the front desk are gracious and kind and so polite. I loved the rooms - the have been redone so well while still feel old world. The bathroom is small but had everything you need and the upgrades are quite impressive considering how small the area is! I loved the open stair cases through the hotel and the literary quotes on every door. The bar downstairs is the perfect place to meet people before going to Times Square, Bryant Park, Central Park or Rockerfeller Center. This is simply the best location to stay if you are looking for a great NYC experience. There are other comments on trip advisor about this not being a good place for Marriott Elites - i see the point since there isn't a lounge and other amenities, but the history and location far out weigh an evening appetizer!

My ONLY slightly negative comment is the lights on the bed posts have an odd blue glow on the on/off switch which makes the whole room light up ever so slightly at night - i ended up taping something over the light switches to darken the room - other people were commenting on this at breakfast too so I know i am not the only one to notice this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We took a quick weekend trip to NY- just my daughters and I to catch a boradway musical at the last minute and I wanted a suite near Times Square. Our Suite was huge for NY and newly renovated , bathroom and all......Just a block and a half from wehre we needed to be. Lobby is small but pretty cute- Iconic writiers Hotel. Not sure about those complained about the noise, but from our suite- we didnt hear anything. Dont bother with their private driver tehy suggest. I felt totally ripped off- he charged way more than he should have and times they quoted only took abt half to get to eveywhere during no peak traffic times. My ONLY complaint was the lame girl at the front desk- USELESS! I wish I would have complained but i loved my weekend way too much to let it get to me!!!! otherwise I would recommend this hotel to others in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Keep in Mind we had a suite and we LOVED! it!!!! awesome for families!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

One of the top historic hotels in the US, I found that the Algonquin was oozing with great character and friendly staff. I was traveling on business by myself and they made me feel really at home. My room was super clean and comfortable…not a bug in sight (as I know this can be a concern now with hotels in big cities). I thought the bed was pretty amazing and I slept very comfortably. They provided L’Occitane toiletries, so I wouldn’t have had to worry about bringing my shower supplies from home. The food in the restaurant was very tasty and they had a very comfortable business center where I was able to print my return ticket. Free Starbucks coffee 24 hours was a good perk too. I should add the hotel was in walking distance of a 24 hour pharmacy and a 5 minute walk from Times Square…very useful since I was under the weather during my visit. If I had to find a negative for myself, I did think the cocktails were overpriced in the bar, so I just didn’t have any, but that may be reasonable pricing for New York. My meal was only a few dollars more than a martini, so I felt the food was decently priced by comparison. However, breakfast was too expensive there for me to justify so I just walked over to the diner next door. I would stay here every New York trip if I could though. I think it’s just wonderful and I love the history of the place. If you’re looking for a big room, this is not the hotel to pick, but if you’re a history buff like myself, this was right up my alley. I found the room perfect and cozy and opted to walk down the beautiful marble staircases every morning instead of bothering with the elevator. I felt sure that was the way John Barrymore would have taken too and I just ate that thought all up. There’s also Matilda, the resident ragdoll cat. It’s been a tradition in the hotel since the times of the elder Barrymore to keep a feline roaming the corridors. I think that’s fantastic and it was a nice bit of whimsy to add to my stay. She’s gorgeous, but not all that sociable. My advice would be to stay here at least once. I can’t imagine anyone not loving it, but I’m not everyone. I think it’s a great bit of historical New York that needs to be experienced at least once if you’re given the chance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Scottsdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I'll start with check in, door men very attentive, grabbed my bags from the cab, nice.
Front desk guys were not very welcoming, kind of drone like.
Tried to kill them with a little kindness and it seemed to work. I wanted an upgrade, I'm a Marriott Platinum member, however one was not ready, but if I could wait, they could accommodate.. That was totally fine with me, I wandered over to the Blue Bar to wait. Drinks in this place on average are $22!!! I'm a frequent visitor to NYC, I'm used to about $15, but needless to say, the $20+ drink has arrived. I basically introduced myself to the bartender and told him, sadly, I would not be back. Oh well...I did have my drink and before I knew it, my room was ready. Blue bar is pretty cool looking though and quite a contrast to the lobby bar, 2 different worlds.
I received breakfast vouchers for weekdays only, they didn't offer on the weekend. They explained that Marriott had made that decsion. I was also given a drink voucher for a drink later that day as well. When I told them the next day I hadn't used it, they extended the voucher to use any day of my stay. They also gave one to my co-worker when I asked. (we're both platinum member and this is why we received this)
I never used my breakfast vouchers, I left too early each day for work to use them, and since they didn't give me any for the weekend, I just grabbed coffee in the lobby, which was free and was on my way. I did see guests in the Lobby restaurant area enjoying breakfast, but I don't think that's the same as the voucher.
The Lobby Lounge area of the hotel is awesome! Charming, warm, smart! I felt smart there! LOL. On my last night,I worked late and came back and grabbed a couchy, comfy seat, had a nice salad, was sooo comfortable. I wished I had time to spend more there.
Loved Matilda the cat, visited kitty on several occastions, very sweet!
I liked my room, corner room, nice comfortable bed, walk in closet with a safe, desk, everything looked new. View, a brick wall and windows of the next building so close, I kept the shades closed the entire time. So, if a view is your thing, this hotel doesn't offer it. It didn't bother me in the least.
The bathroom, very, very small, but clean and modern. Excellent water pressure in the shower, that I can't fault how small the shower itself is, the shower is basically the smallest I've ever seen bar somewhere in Europe, honestly.
On 2 occasions the pipes in my room started banging very, very, very loud. Over and over. It was early in the morning and I was sleeping each time, I just put the pillow over my head with some ear plugs in, didn't work, it finally went away. It was quite disturbing. I know, old hotel, yadda yadda yadda. Which is what the hotel front desk said when I told them.
Upon checking out, I honestly don't think anyone at the front desk said goodbye or asked me how my stay was. No one, tons of them standing around, I got a few smiles, but that's it. I was there for 6 nights!
So, would I stay here again? Not likely, not because of the hotel, I just don't like the neighborhood, frankly, it's not a neighborhood. But if you need to be in Midtown, near Rock Center, which I did, and or Times Square, then this is a good choice, far enough away from all that madness but close to walk and subways all around. I see and appreciate the the charm and history of the hotel, I really do, and I love that!
So, with location and soo, soo attitude of the staff, not the best elite perks, It's probably not for me again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

3 nights with 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof', the Guggenheim, the High Line and fine dining in mind. It all happened! Getting around the city is easy, lots of things to do nearby (Chrysler Building, Grand Central Terminal) and the staff, especially Peter and Chuck, were great. Drinks were a bit expensive but we had coupons, so thoroughly enjoyed the lounge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at the Algonquin for 4 night in August 12, and couldn't have asked for a better location to see all that New York has to offer. The rooms were small, as was expected, but had everything you need, and when in New York, you are not in your room that often anyway! The bar/lounge area was nice for a quiet drink. Staff were excellent. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We’re pleased to report the passenger elevator at the Algonquin has been restored to service after extensive work by the elevator service provider to rebuild the hoist motor. We understand the importance of timely vertical lift and believed this level of repair was now necessary for safety reasons. It is accurate that associates, supplies and guests travel on the same elevator cars. The hotel has been successful on most occasions with timing vertical movement of supplies and associates to not interfere with guest travel, we regret that it did impact some guests while visiting the hotel.

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!