“Comfortable, Boutique Hotel, not for the "Elite's, may be disappointed"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #135 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale
“Comfortable, Boutique Hotel, not for the "Elite's, may be disappointed"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I'll start with check in, door men very attentive, grabbed my bags from the cab, nice.
Front desk guys were not very welcoming, kind of drone like.
Tried to kill them with a little kindness and it seemed to work. I wanted an upgrade, I'm a Marriott Platinum member, however one was not ready, but if I could wait, they could accommodate.. That was totally fine with me, I wandered over to the Blue Bar to wait. Drinks in this place on average are $22!!! I'm a frequent visitor to NYC, I'm used to about $15, but needless to say, the $20+ drink has arrived. I basically introduced myself to the bartender and told him, sadly, I would not be back. Oh well...I did have my drink and before I knew it, my room was ready. Blue bar is pretty cool looking though and quite a contrast to the lobby bar, 2 different worlds.
I received breakfast vouchers for weekdays only, they didn't offer on the weekend. They explained that Marriott had made that decsion. I was also given a drink voucher for a drink later that day as well. When I told them the next day I hadn't used it, they extended the voucher to use any day of my stay. They also gave one to my co-worker when I asked. (we're both platinum member and this is why we received this)
I never used my breakfast vouchers, I left too early each day for work to use them, and since they didn't give me any for the weekend, I just grabbed coffee in the lobby, which was free and was on my way. I did see guests in the Lobby restaurant area enjoying breakfast, but I don't think that's the same as the voucher.
The Lobby Lounge area of the hotel is awesome! Charming, warm, smart! I felt smart there! LOL. On my last night,I worked late and came back and grabbed a couchy, comfy seat, had a nice salad, was sooo comfortable. I wished I had time to spend more there.
Loved Matilda the cat, visited kitty on several occastions, very sweet!
I liked my room, corner room, nice comfortable bed, walk in closet with a safe, desk, everything looked new. View, a brick wall and windows of the next building so close, I kept the shades closed the entire time. So, if a view is your thing, this hotel doesn't offer it. It didn't bother me in the least.
The bathroom, very, very small, but clean and modern. Excellent water pressure in the shower, that I can't fault how small the shower itself is, the shower is basically the smallest I've ever seen bar somewhere in Europe, honestly.
On 2 occasions the pipes in my room started banging very, very, very loud. Over and over. It was early in the morning and I was sleeping each time, I just put the pillow over my head with some ear plugs in, didn't work, it finally went away. It was quite disturbing. I know, old hotel, yadda yadda yadda. Which is what the hotel front desk said when I told them.
Upon checking out, I honestly don't think anyone at the front desk said goodbye or asked me how my stay was. No one, tons of them standing around, I got a few smiles, but that's it. I was there for 6 nights!
So, would I stay here again? Not likely, not because of the hotel, I just don't like the neighborhood, frankly, it's not a neighborhood. But if you need to be in Midtown, near Rock Center, which I did, and or Times Square, then this is a good choice, far enough away from all that madness but close to walk and subways all around. I see and appreciate the the charm and history of the hotel, I really do, and I love that!
So, with location and soo, soo attitude of the staff, not the best elite perks, It's probably not for me again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

3 nights with 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof', the Guggenheim, the High Line and fine dining in mind. It all happened! Getting around the city is easy, lots of things to do nearby (Chrysler Building, Grand Central Terminal) and the staff, especially Peter and Chuck, were great. Drinks were a bit expensive but we had coupons, so thoroughly enjoyed the lounge.

Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at the Algonquin for 4 night in August 12, and couldn't have asked for a better location to see all that New York has to offer. The rooms were small, as was expected, but had everything you need, and when in New York, you are not in your room that often anyway! The bar/lounge area was nice for a quiet drink. Staff were excellent. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We’re pleased to report the passenger elevator at the Algonquin has been restored to service after extensive work by the elevator service provider to rebuild the hoist motor. We understand the importance of timely vertical lift and believed this level of repair was now necessary for safety reasons. It is accurate that associates, supplies and guests travel on the same elevator cars. The hotel has been successful on most occasions with timing vertical movement of supplies and associates to not interfere with guest travel, we regret that it did impact some guests while visiting the hotel.
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed at the Algonquin for 3 nights this past week, and it was everything that we had hoped for. The place is a CLASSIC, and it is smack dab in the middle of all the restaurants and stores and bars and broadway shows and and and. The rooms are small, as we expected, but very well appointed. Shower was great, all tile, and some serious water pressure. Bed was very comfortable, and the linens/pillows were great. There is a great workout room on the 2nd floor that has free bottled water and breakfast bars. There is FREE coffee all day long. Staff was really helpful, concierge was crisp, and the doorman flagged down a cab to the airport in under 30 seconds, even though there were a dozen other peeps just a few businesses down looking for rides. The only complaint was that we couldn't find the cat (Maggie), but we will return to finish that off the checklist down the road. Great martinis in the Blue Bar (attached to lobby). Loved it..

Room Tip: Lower floors are better as elevators are a tad slow.
Baldwin, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Algonquin Hotel this past weekend as we were in town to see a Broadway show and did not want to make the mad rush to catch the LIRR for the trip home. The hotel was elegant. The lobby outstanding. The room was great, but small. This did not present a problem since we were not in NYC to stay in a hotel room. The staff was outstanding, very helpful. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel.
The only short coming was the two elevators. Upon arriving one of the elevators was "temporarily out of service". The other elevator was in use on the upper floors (8 through 12), never coming down to the lobby. The reason appeared to be the housekeepping staff moving their supplies between floors. Finally the out of service elevator was returned to service after complaining to the front desk. The problem did not end at that point. Sunday morning we were going to check out, again one of the elevators had been removed from service. After waiting with two other couples with four large suit cases, we elected to walk down to the lobby. The problem again seemed to be the housekeepping staff moving supplies and eqipement between floors.

Philly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We got a reasonable rate for a suite here on Christmas night, 12/25/12. Parked across the street and had a very comfortable room and stay. Did not eat at the hotel as it seemed pricey, but there is a convenient diner just up the block.

We appreciated the complimentary issue of the "New Yorker" magazine.

The business office is available 24 hours and free - very nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Orangeburg, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Even though The Algonquin Hotel is owned by Marriott, the atmosphere and decor is one of a high-end independent hotel. The interior decoration and design of the room I stayed in was elegantly imaginative, more like a guest room than a hotel room. First class furniture and fixtures, which reminded me of a very good European hotel. The bathroom, again, very well appointed with a creative use of space, however, it would have been a challenge for even a slightly over-sized adult. Complimentary L'Occitane toiletries were a deluxe touch as was a very comfortable bathrobe. Marriott beds are the best and the queen-size bed in this room was no exception. Very nice sheets and pillows. Interesting and well-written reading materials on the history of the Algonquin, which allowed me to further appreciate its fame and popularity in former times. A complimentary copy of the New Yorker connected the past and the present.
I wasn't enamored with the service. The front desk was friendly and accommodating at arrival and I was pleased to be able to check in at 11:00am. Other interaction with the front desk and the doormen were less hospitable. Room service, which I used for breakfast, again, was aloof.
Not a hotel for young children was my impression. However adults can basked in the history, exceptional decor and enjoy staying in truly unique accommodations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!