“My first choice when in NY City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #132 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My first choice when in NY City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Algonquin hotel is a fabulous hotel filled with history and charm. My visits are mainly for business but I always incorporate my wife and if school is not in session my teenage son. The Algonquin became our home away from home this summer as we enjoyed the city for work and pleasure. Its location is perfect for the Manhattan Times Square area sites and tours without the busy crowds and noise. The staff is truly warm and welcoming and highly attentive to your needs. As we've become regulars we are always welcomed back and taken care of as if it were our first visit. The staff at the hotel really make the experience a pleasant one...from the restaurant staff proactively servicing you to the delicious and well made adult beverages of the Blue Bar, the meticulous job of housekeeping by the housekeepers and the Genuine smiles and greetings of the front desk staff and doormen. Even the operations and engineering deaprtment are more than accomodating and interested in making your stay a pleasurable one. The gym and business office are also immaculate and are of high standards. I will continue to make the Algonquin my first choice for lodging whenever business or pleasure bring me to NY City.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the corner units ending in 7 ie. 507, 707 etc. as these rooms are spacious and ha...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Pros:
The Algonquin is in a great location steps from Times Square and Madison Avenue. It's not on Broadway so it's much quieter than those hotels. It's a standard botique hotel - small rooms and vintage appointments. The hotel was clean, bathroom was updated.

Cons:
The front desk staff was not attentive to my arrival. There is no club/elite lounge as typical for Marriotts. They have a coffee lounge which consists of a Keurig coffee machine in a vestibule. No mid-day snacks or refreshments. A continental breakfast was included which was adequate. I requested an upgrade and instead was placed in the room directly across the elevator. This hotel is expensive (as is NYC) but try to find a look no further rate.

I would stay here again only because of the location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GJBudge, General Manager at The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your commentary we appreciate your feedback. Your comments will be shared with the Associates at the upcoming customer service training session. Guest experience and personal attention to detail have always been a focus of the Algonquin Hotel and will continue to be priority. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, it helps us to continually improve our product and service for our valuable guests.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

This review is only of the lobby bar at the Algonquin Hotel. I had a friend in from London who was staying at the Algonquin and he told me that the rooms are very nice. The lobby bar is where I met him, and it's very nice. It has an old world feel to it in the lobby portion of the bar, and then when you step into the bar itself the blue neon lights Are the first thing that hits your eyes. It was extremely busy at 6 o'clock with the after work crowd. I ordered a glass of Chardonnay, and when the bill came I was quite shocked to find it being $20.69. So when you add the tip you're quite shocked to find out you just bought a $24 glass of wine. My friend ordered the blueberry Martini which was excellent, however I'm afraid to figure out what that might've cost. John was our bartender, and did an excellent job throughout the time we were there. He was extremely attentive and extremely friendly. Overall, other than the prices the bar is a great place to stop.

• Stayed December 2012
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

This wonderful hotel located close to shopping on 5th Ave, close to Broadway to catch a show, or just to stay in the hotel lounge and people watch is definitely a must stay. This is a very nostalgic hotel and although the hotel has some age on it; the rooms are spacious, clean, and have very comfortable beds. If you can't stay at this hotel; you must at least go into the lounge for a drink and enjoy the beauty of this fabulous NYC hotel!

• Stayed July 2012
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

First off I want to state that I received an excellent rate of $239 (minus taxes etc) through a Travel Zoo special that I'm glad I jumped on. It was a week after Superstorm Sandy had hit. The refurbished Algonquin is like walking into a moment in time from early in the last century. The lobby is cozy and inviting. My room, though smallish, was excellently decorated! I even had a bit of a view...of the neighboring building. The bathroom fixtures and tile seemed brand new. TV, mattress, lighting etc in the room were top notch. The staff were friendly and courteous. When I inquired about the famous Rag Doll house cat Matilda I was led into the baggage room where she was sleepy. Maltida III is part of the rich tradition of cats at The Algonquin dating back to the 1930's. I had a cocktail that was delicious, though the prices are bit steep.

One of the best things about The Algonquin is the location. Location, location location. A block East of Times Square, one block north of Bryant Park and the subway....and walking distance North to Rockefeller Center and Central Park make this a great place to stay.

I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I recently traded in some AA Miles for a Saturday night stay at the Algonquin. Our stay was perfect from start to finish. Our room was great - very nicely decorated, very clean and well appointed. Comfy bed, great shower and amazing L'Occitane toiletries. We stored our luggage when we checked in, had some complimentary Starbucks coffee, were offered help with directions or anything else we needed and then on check-out, once again stored our luggage for the day. We never once felt like we were treated any differently than any other guest because our stay was paid for with travel miles. We were treated just as nicely as every other guest. We absolutely loved our stay at the Algonquin. It's in a fantastic location - easy to get to subway and local landmarks. It was a wonderful stopover during our Thanksgiving week travels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a lovely hotel, a tranquil oasis in the middle of bustling, crazy Times Square. Often old hotels are in need of repair; this one is in mint condition, beautifully restored to its former glory.
The rooms are small (as most NYC rooms are) but elegantly furnished. There are no views of the exterior, windows are frosted and the thick walls keep traffic noise out, so the feeling of being in a secluded place -- in the middle of one of the world's most hectic locations -- is heightened. This is good for resting, but the room is too small to spend any extended time in. But who goes to NYC to spend time in a hotel room when the whole world is outside? The hotel lobby, lounge, and restaurant -- the location of the legendary Algonquin Round Table, the gathering place of Dorothy Parker and her literary friends -- are lovely places to hang out to check email with free wifi and a glass of wine, or dine. I like this hotel a lot. It gives you the best of both worlds - a pocket of serenity in the middle of Times Square. Great hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms are expensive. Try to scope better rates on getaroom.com
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business