“Dream weekend in NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #138 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
“Dream weekend in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Growing up in NYC, one of my first jobs was located in a building on the corner of 5th Ave and W 44th St. I used to walk past the Algonquin every day from the subway station on my way to work and, knowing some of the history behind the famous hotel, always dreamed of staying at the famous hotel.

Well, it took nearly 30 years, but I finally stayed there thanks to the Marriott Rewards points. The newly renovated hotel was everything you could imagine from a 100+ year old property. The furnishings, bathroom, linens, and bedding were great. We had no problem sleeping each night and they had HGTV as part of the TV listings for the few moments we weren't running around.

The room was very small and the bathroom was also tiny. My wife and I had to be creative when storing our clothing and toiletries. Needless to say, we danced around each other whilst getting ready each morning. Please understand that we are not complaining about the size of the accommodations--this would be expected from a building from the early 1900's--just be prepared so you're not shocked upon arrival.

The location of the hotel is perfect for walking around Midtown. We easily walked to Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, the Bryant Park Holiday Shops (and Citi Pond--free admission to ice skating), and the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market. We were also able to watch part of the Veterans' Day Parade near our hotel. The only caution I have about the location of the hotel is that if you need a cab, you're better off walking to 6th Ave or 5th Ave (depending on which direction you're heading) because few cabs went past the hotel and those that did were usually occupied.

Other pluses include: free wi-fi throughout the hotel, a parking garage directly across the street, exposed staircases so you can walk easily between floors, a business center, free coffee 24/7, NY Times delivered to your door (including the Sunday Times), and cute quotes on each guest room door to keep you entertained as you walk around (see photos).

I have only two complaints: firstly, the newly installed shower door was very leaky. If the shower head was pointed in a particular place, water ended up all over the bathroom floor. Secondly, the cost of dining at the hotel was very high. Yes, hotel restaurants are usually costlier and there were plenty of restaurants nearby, but we wanted to spend some time soaking in the ambiance of the historic landmark and we had a little sticker shock when we got the tab for two desserts, a coffee, and a soda in the Lobby: $50.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. And yes, we did see Matilda during our stay.

1,179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Payson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights (Sat., Nov. 3 - Sun., Nov. 4 and Mon., Nov. 5) following Hurricane Sandy, and the hotel was impeccable! We booked this hotel about four months ago and it happened to be the same weekend of the New York City Marathon. The room was immaculately clean. The hurricane damage never reached this mid-town area and the location was great for going to the theater and restaurants that were open. We had room #911 (!) and while it was on the expected small side and faced a glass office building, had every amenity. A nice touch is that each room has a framed card with a clever quote from a member of the Algonquin Society. The bed linens were soft and beautiful, and the towels thick and plentiful. We appreciated the L’Occitane en Provence toiletries. We also enjoyed the two complimentary drink tickets (value $21 each) that we used for cocktails in the famous and elegant bar/lobby on the first night. The completely remodeled bathroom had great water pressure. The closet was big enough with plenty of hangers, and there was a two-drawer dresser, desk with loads of outlets, and more on both sides of the bed which had overhead reading lights. The large flat-screen TV was positioned directly across the bed. The staff was friendly and helpful. On our next trip to New York City, we would definitely stay here again.

Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Algonquin is a perfect location to enjoy New York City. Many theaters are within walking distance. Times Square is a short walk. The rooms are well appointed...you are in New York so not spacious...but very comfortable. The staff very pleasant and helpful. We walked to the Met, Central Park as well as dinner each evening. I truly will never even consider staying anywhere else in Manhatten.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

It's a gorgeous hotel with thoughtful service. It's very charming and makes you feel as if you've gone back in time to the 1920's, especially with the hotel bar. Not to mention - there's a cat that roams the hotel which is just perfect. I have three cats that I miss terribly when we travel so still being able to pet a cat made we feel like I was at home. The rooms are a little smaller than most US rooms but you're in NYC so this is somewhat typical. It's in a great location and has quite a bit of history - maybe even a few ghosts! (Note I was using Marriott Points so I can't really speak to the value although I felt my Points value was quite reasonable. Plus we were supposed to come in on Friday but our flight got cancelled at 9pm. The hotel didn't charge us for Friday night (they would have been within their rights to as we'd called to cancel after 6pm.)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We usually stay at the Mandarin but it was full so we decided to try the Algonquin as it's near Times Square where we were going to be most of the weekend. Glad we did! It's a great spot, in the Autograph Collection of Marriott, and has a great history (they go for drinks at the Algonquin on the show Mad Men every so often). Room was nice and comfortable, service was great. Food in the restaurant was very good too. Would definitely come back (when the Mandarin is full again).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We arrived in NYC less than a week after Hurricane Sandy, and into the arms of the incredible staff at the Algonquin Hotel. I have always dreamed of staying at this historic place, and my mom's 75th birthday celebration made me decide to splurge. It was worth it. Jennie in particular is an absolute gem; on hearing it was my mom's birthday she promptly handed us two cocktail coupons (and if you haven't tried an Algonquin martini, you really should - just beware - they are potent!!). She and another staffer had almost single handedly held down the ship in the week after the hurricane, as so many employees couldn't make it in.

Our room was small, which I'd expected, given the age of the property. But it wasn't TOO small - a perfect fit for two - and beautifully decorated. The bathroom is teeny but again, they use the space so well. We loved our room. And the king-sized bed is probably the most comfortable I have ever slept on. Dreamy.

The lobby is exquisite, the history imbues the place - have a look at the replica of Dorothy Parker's round table - and best of all, they still have a resident feline, Matilda. This incarnation of Matilda is hilarious - HUGE and fierce, with the most dour expression ... she is beautiful! I loved this hotel - you really get a feel for the New York of yesteryear, but with all the mod cons.

Room Tip: I always prefer a higher floor and a quiet room away from the elevators, which they were very happy...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I normally avoid Times Square area like the plague favouring the character of downtown - glad I didn't on this occasion, partly as I was there in the Sandy aftermath, but also this was a real gem of a hotel that exceeded every expectation, at a fantastic price.
The Algonquin is obviously steeped in history, which is a wonderful draw, and the hotel has retained it's early 20th century style and charm. The resident cat, Matilda, adds a quirky element completely lacking in its fellow midtown bigscale hotel chain neighbours. I loved my stay here, for the following reasons:
- Style & ambiance: This hotel is small, which makes it feel very intimate and old school. Even the clientele seem timeless. The bar is simply gorgeous, large comfortable sofas and armchairs, dark with ambient lighting and delicious cocktails. The rooms have a similar feel, well decorated and a good size, the bay window created a nice seating area as well.
- Comfort: The shower was great, hot and powerful. The bed was extremely comfortable and warm, the closet was big with a lot of hangers. I also always appreciate when L'Occitane products are on offer.
- Staff / service: The staff were outstanding, so polite, so friendly, so attentive.
- Value for money: we booked on a deal from travelzoo which provided room, continental breakfast and a cocktail each evening for $239+tax - really unbeatable value. they seem to have a few more good rates as they are still in reopening mode.

My only areas for improvement would be the air conditioner in our room was very noisy and woke me up when it came on in the middle of the night. Also, the prices for cocktails were crazily above normal prices ($24 each average) which would put me off drinking there beyond one, which is a pity.

I'd go back in a heartbeat, in spite of its midtown location. It is actually very close to Bryant Park and much quieter that side of 6th Ave.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!