“Was looking for a good place to crash - Found a very good one in Algonquin.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

You added The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 W 44th St, Between Fifth & Sixth Ave, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #147 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mooresville, NC
“Was looking for a good place to crash - Found a very good one in Algonquin.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Came to NYC for a friend's bachelor party at the Yankee game, so I was really looking for some place to crash that 1) wouldn't be too expensive, 2) had easy access to the D or 4 train, and 3) wouldn't be too expensive. #'s 1 and 3 were taken care of with reservations made through Priceline.com, and I'd recommend that to anyone thinking of staying in NYC. There are way too many hotels around here to pay retail, and Algonquin accepted a very reasonable rate.

Their acceptance of my rate was a very pleasant surprise, because the hotel is really quite nice. If you're into historical hotels, this one doesn't disappoint. It's been around a long time, but to me it really did appear 'antique' without being 'old'. For example, I climbed a marble/wrought iron staircase to a room with an HD flat screen TV. Antique in all the right spots, modern in all the others. I liked it!

The location was perfect for us, as the Bryant Park train station is just a block or so away. That made it easy to get to the Bronx and back. Plus, since I was on a budget for this trip but without too much time constraint, I was able to hop on the F train to get to/from Laguardia (short bus-ride included, comes to $2.25 for ground transportation).

Overall, it met my needs (cheap and convenient), and it also happened to a pretty nice place.

Room Tip: Elevator slow - Get low floor and take the stairs
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

A beautiful old hotel in a great location with a staff that makes you think you have stepped back in time! The welcome, the conversation, the desire to please and serve exudes from this place. The history of the round table, the clean, comfortable rooms. Not modern, but fashionably historic.

One of my new favorite hotels in NYC.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I can't rate this for value as I got a terrific deal on Priceline. So that's worth knowing. All I can tell you are things I noticed.

Parking: if you've got a car, forget about cheap or free parking. Car park opposite that they will validate (cost me $35 for 24 hours as a result).

Room was small but I think that's how it works in Manhattan.

Terrific location slap band in the middle of Midtown, so near Times Square and 42nd Street theatreland.

My room had a lovely old big bath with a great shower.

Two complimentary bottles of water.

No fridge or tea/coffee making facilities.

Beautifully comfortable bed.

Decent wardrobe space.

Rubbish view of back of buildings (again, I think this is common in the city)

Wonderfully characterful hotel, proud of its artistic history.

Free wifi in rooms.

Pleasant reception staff, allowed me to check in a bit earlier than normal (at about 1pm).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Omaha, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

The second we walked in the door, we were greeted by friendly hotel workers who immediately got us to our room. Although the room was somewhat small, it is an older hotel and most hotels in NYC have smaller rooms. The bathroom was a good size though, and everything worked just fine. The best parts of the hotel are the unique decor of the lobby, the classy chairs and sofas in the lounge area, and the fun New Yorker cartoons on the wallpaper. Also, the Algonquin is only a few blocks from Times Square, and it was unbelievably quiet! I recommend ordering a drink in the lounge. It's a little expensive, but well worth it! All in all, we had a very comfortable stay and we'd be happy to stay there again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We stayed here for three nights in April. We arrived on a Wednesday night and were told they had overbooked, but they had us a room right down the street at Hotel Mela. I was a little bit perturbed, but I was on vacation so I tried to just be rational. The Night manager, Nelson, was very apologetic and offered us free breakfast for the remainder of our stay and free drinks the next evening. That was sufficient as the bellhop who was very nice carried our luggage and got us checked in at the Hotel Mela(which was not as nice as the Algonquin, but good for just laying our heads down in a good, clean, new hotel after a long day of travel). We checked in the next morning and had a very nice room. The rooms were extremely clean, regardless of what anybody else has said. We enjoyed breakfasts every morning at the hotel in a very nice lobby and were helped by a friendly concierge before we left in the morning to help direct us around the city.
I booked on Priceline last time, but on my next trip to the city I will book through this hotel directly. The location is second to none and the staff was accommodating after the initial problem.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
wayne,pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I had stayed here before in a minisuite with my daughter and managed to book it again for a Friday night. It is probably one of the best deals in Manhattan if you want 2 rooms. The sofa bed is not the greatest, but ok . The bathroom is small but has all necessary amenities. The staff was excellent. When we arrived the room was not ready, but the woman at the front desk made sure we got another room fairly quickly and gave us 2 drink coupons (drinks are high so these were worth about $40). I enjoyed a drink later in the hotel bar that the bartender suggested. Room service was prompt . Cost was dealable. The location cannot be beat if you are seeing Broadway shows. This is not a luxury 5 star, but for NYC I think it is a super choice. Clean, welcoming, accomodating. Only real issue is the surliness of NYC taxi drivers and the difficulty of getting a taxi which is something not in their control. Mayor Bloomberg really ought to look into that.

• Stayed March 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I stayed here for the purpose of business travel. The hotel itself was in Midtown, close to subways, Rockefeller Center and Times Square. The staff are all friendly and helpful. The hotel itself has some lovely period details. The rooms, typical of any NYC hotel, are small but more than adequate considering you should only be there to sleep anyway. Quite clean, too. Ultimately, travelers will enjoy stepping back in time while still benefitting from modern-day amenities.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!