“Utter Elegance, Luxury and Serenity” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Night
Ranked #16 of 453 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Utter Elegance, Luxury and Serenity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

We had the adventure of lifetime replete with astonishing restaurant cuisine, impossible to acquire theatre/event tickets and special psychic touches that could only be achieved if they had scanned our minds.

This hotel delivers on its promises; from the quality and depth of our comfort and sleep, to the exceptional attention to detail in catering to our every whim. The utter elegance and serenity of this property exceeded our expectations. For the very first time in our experience a hotel has measured up to the glamorousness portrayed in its website's photography.

We took the opportunity to try out both the salon and one-bedroom suite and were so very glad we did. Depending on the mix of quiet time we needed in the room to work, doll-up time to prep for nights out and sleep time to recover from each, the premises fulfilled every conceivable requirement.

The concierges managed every detail, suggestion and/or change with, given all that we poured into our 10 day stay, what must have been a cast of hundreds behind the scenes. How did they produce so many rabbits from so few hats? The staff worked seamlessly and no detail was unimportant or disregarded.

Work/Play Highlights important to us:

Wifi is available for daily/weekly fees & carries a very strong/uninterrupted signal strength (free 3G is great, too)

Rooms have a great desk area for plug-ins and computer equipment that can be easily hidden area if you’d like to entertain friends or wish to maintain the elegance of the room’s décor (bartendar is available to mix cocktails in your room!)

Suites have a table/chairs, in addition to a very comfy living room, to accommodate work materials if, like many of us, you need to work whether you’re on vacation or staying a little more time in NYC after a meeting or conference

The concierge desk is THE best we have ever encountered, anywhere. We like to travel to see theatre and so we know many brokerages in New York and London but The Surrey Hotel’s team has access to a level of theatre/event tickets that is beyond any we’ve experienced. How they managed first 3-5 rows orchestra for 4 different Broadway shows at a moments notice is something I shall continue to enjoy for years to come! Their current bead on restaurants city wide is extraordinary and whether you’re familiar with the scene or not, their advice is flawless.

The location and size of The Surrey is also what sets it apart from other hotels. We just never realized what we were missing until we stayed there. Central Park is ½ block away so is The Whitney! You’re far enough away and close enough to… Loved walking this wonderfully serene neighborhood with its chic shops and elegant boutiques, hand-in-hand with organic cafes and one-of-a-kind bakeries. The perfect size of this hotel is perhaps is deepest strength; small enough to ensure that feeling of individual luxury and large enough to get the job done right when is counts most.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Dear SanFranDMJ,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very inpressed with the detail of your comments and that fact that you recognized my team, especially the Concierge team so well. They truly are magicians at what they do.

Thank you for the amazing comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

Lovely hotel, great location. Clean, elegant, well appointed. Most comfy beds ever.
Restaurant staff, however, was pretentious and the staff was cold just like the coffee.
So we walked half a block and entertained our guests as the Carlisle up the street.
The restaurant buffet food looked like the chef overplayed with it and there was hardly any of it. French food or not, people still like to eat breakfast. Very quiet location and quiet rooms.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Dear Igrass,

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am happy to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and will return. I thank you for sharing your experience with Cafe Boulud, I will communicate with the restaurant General Manager.

Wishing you a very happy holiday season and an exciting 2011. Thank you again.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

The Surrey is a great mix of size, luxury and service, The rooms are very nice, NIce style and comfort. the beds are fantastic. The location is great, right in the middle of the upper east side.The roof top terrace bar is special and the regular bar is great.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear JeffandWoody,

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am happy to read your review and will gladly share with my team. They work very hard to provide the best service that our guests expect, I am happy to see we were successful with your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Happy holidays and wishing you the best for 2011.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

Room clean and nice. Incredibly poor value. $760 aaa night and no bathtub, room very noisy (and this was on the 16th floor) AND they wanted $14.95 on top of that for Internet. At 9:30 pm I could not get a table at hotel restaurant, so I ordered room service. Despite Bouloud's name, food very poor, prices and surcharge, Including prix fixe tip, was again, a very poor value. Staff acted like I was lucky to be there. If there was an award for expensive pretension, the Surrey would win the cup outright.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 5, 2010
Dear Viehalterin,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting your review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am disappointed by your perception of the hotel and apologize for your experience. I understand very well the importance of value and it usually most important when it comes from the service staff.

I will definitely discuss with my team. Thank you for sharing. Please feel free to reach out to myself directly. Unfortunately, I cannot share my contact details on my response but I can be found on my website for your reference.

Happy holidays and thank you again.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I travel to NYC about twice a year and am in search of a favorite hotel. I read the reviews on The Surrey and was excited to stay in the East Side-Central Park area thinking it would be more nurturing and a restful respite from the activity of the city.

The hotel was clean, the room lovely, the location terrific. But the service was shockingly snooty. In my case, I even e-mailed guest services in advance asking for recommendations and alerting them to what I thought were my modest needs. When we arrived, the concierge had not been alerted (or perhaps he was just that haughty) and we were left feeling as if we were seriously putting the lobby staff out with the most simple questions. In most cases, the staff were flat out rude....one wonders, is this the way they are trained to behave?

Not all was bleak, however. Concierge Michael, when cajoled and charmed (we set on a mission to break him!), was eventually delightful, and Janelle was very helpful when we had forgotten items in the safe. The best encounter we had was with the sweet cocktail waitress, who at least smiled and looked us in the eyes and ASKED, "How can I help you." The management should hire her to train the others.

In my early adult career, I worked in corporate hospitality industry public relations and understand the concept of service. I travel for my job about 30 percent of the time and am accustomed to hotel life. The Surrey, while lovely and refined, needs a huge dose of humble pie and training for their service staff. When I recall my stay, it is not the wonderful bed or beautiful decor I will recall but the outrageous pretentiousness.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear Kgay,

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am happy to read that for the most part you enjoyed the property and of course your experience with Michael. I am disappointed to see that you found our service to be snobby as this is nothing near to what we want to be. My apologies.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly as I would love to understand more details of your experience. Unfortunately, I cannot give my contact information on my response, but I can be found on our website.

Thank you again and we will definitely take your comments seriously and address. Happy holidays and we hope to see you back at the Surrey.
Kirdford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

I have not stayed in the Surrey as yet, but all I can say, if the service I have received so far is anything to go by, then I am looking forward to it.

I bid successfully on a Luxury Link.com package for three nights in the Surrey. By the Bid link on the website, it advises you before you bid that if you want specific dates, then you should consult the hotel first. I did this three times to make sure that the dates which I wanted were available, and was assured three times that there was plenty of availability for the Luxury Link packages.

Once I had won the auction I submitted my dates to Luxury Link and then they e mailed me back to say that the dates were not available. However, I then rang the Surrey again and they said once again they had the rooms available. Luxury Link were unpleasant rude and unhelpful. They sent me another e mail after I had called them to say that for one of the nights that I wanted the hotel was 20 rooms overbooked.

In desperation I e mailed the Manager of the Surrey, Spencer Wadama, who e mailed me back within 5 minutes even though he was not in New York. He immediately got in touch with his assistant who telephoned me personally within the hour. He confirmed that contrary to the information I had received from Luxury Link that the rooms specified for the package were available.

No thanks to Luxury Link, I now have the dates which I wanted within 24 hours of receiving the email from them. As for the Surrey, top marks for dealing with it so quickly and following it up and putting my mind at rest. I am now really looking forward to staying at the Surrey and sampling some of the service I have received already.

Do be careful about bidding on Luxury Link if you want specific dates - you can pay over the odds for the buy it now packages to secure the dates as the discount specified is on the rack rates. You may do better through Trip Advisor!

Thank you, thank you Spencer and Eric at The Surrey for sorting the problem out! See you all soon!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear Churchlandskirdford,

Thank you for sharing your pre-arrival experience.

This is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. back to work.

I am happy we could help you with your reservation and look forward to welcoming you to The Surrey and New York City. Thank you for your comments and please know that we have shared your experience with the Luxury Link team, since this could have reflected poorly on us as well.

Thank you for sharing and happy holidays. Hope to meet you when you arrive.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

I could not recommend the Surrey to anyone.
The management and the staff of The Surrey are disorganised, unprofessional and indifferent to their clients.

At the beginniing of September I booked an 'ultra deluxe salon' with 2 queen beds.
As I was travelling with a friend we did not want to share a bed!

We arrived on 26th November to be INFORMED we were being given a suite with a pull-out bed as they did not have what I had booked although they had confirmed it by email.
If I had wanted a pull-out bed I would have gone camping.

The Receptionist and then the manager were off-hand and indifferent.

We had flown 7.5 hours from England. The manager kept us waiting for an hour - just standing there without offering us any refreshment. He said someone had stayed on in our booked room and the hotel could do nothing about it. What is the point in making a reservation then? At one point the staff could not even find our booking. The manager offered us no compensation, and he seemed not to care at all that our trip was ruined.

We left the hotel in disgust.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Dear Ms. Madeleine_rijndorp,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am very sorry I was not in town to assist with finding a better solution to your disappointment. i do undersatnd from my team that many efforts were made to make the situation right, so I am sad to see that ultimately, you felt we showed no care. My apologies for this perception.

I know that you have already spoken to my Director of Rooms in an effort to make amends. Thank you.

Happy holidays and we look forward to having you back.

Been to The Surrey? Share your experiences!