“Finally, the perfect New York Hotel I always looked for..” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Night
Ranked #18 of 449 hotels in New York City
Oslo, Norway
“Finally, the perfect New York Hotel I always looked for..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

Stayed at the Surrey with my boyfriend who were doing some business in nyc. We have stayed at hotels in the city four times this year, and I haven't been quite happy with the other hotels. I will try to write an honest review, and explain why I was so pleased with The Surrey.

First, the location is suberb, if you want to live uptown, close to the park. Earlier we stayed right in midtown, which I find tiiring after a few days. Still, a short cab ride, or a ride with the subway, took you wherever you wanted to go. Also, I loved strolling up park avenue and looking into the cutest butique shops and restaurants around the hotel.

We checked in late at night, but were given a warm welcome. There were a few people at the desk, and they were asking us which country we came from, how our trip went and so on. And they acctually seemed to care about it.
My boyfriends company uses a travelagency to book all their trips, and they tend to mess the reservations up. So offcourse our the really nice guy at the reception did not find our booking. But he made no fuss. And also gave us the uppertunity to upgrade to a suite for a very good deal. We accepted.

Another man showed us to our room, and explained how everything worked.
The room was fantastic. Elegant and modern. Huge, clean and had that warm feeling I always look after in a hotel room. I am into interior design, and LOVED it. We had a separate livingroom, with storagespace, a comfy sofa and a lovely cabinet with a large tv inside. The cabinet, looked like it was hand painted. Bedroom: Large bed, clothing storage, and a beautiful twist of colours. Also a large tv. And the bathroom was large. Huge tub and shower, with delicate colours. So no doubt about loving the room.
We both slept good, the room and the AC was quiet.

Other than that, I felt like home the entire stay (about a week). Every time I came to the reception, they smiled and chatted if they feeled like you were into that. They made me feel like a special guest. Service was like that all the time, with all the different people that worked at the hotel. They always went out of their way to help us with dinner reservations and trips. And did not take any extra credit for it either.

And since the park was just a couple of blocks away, I used to take a book and sit there and have breakfast. It was 95degrees. Also The Surrey have a roof top terrace, beautifully decorated, which served some simple food, and lovely drinks. Try out the strawberrykiwi limonade:)

You just have to go and experience this! Finally I can relax, I have found my New York hotel for life:)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, December 5, 2010
Dear TravelLoverXX,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am very proud of the team and the service you experienced. I know my team works hard and truly loves making a connection with our guests. I would agree they truly do care and want for every guests to enjoy the experience. I am happy to see we were successful with your stay.

We look forward to your return and wish you a very happy holiday.

977 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I have stayed in or toured no fewer than 40 hotels in NYC. This hotel is beautiful, artistic, elegant, yet inviting, comfortable and warm. One of my favorite hotels in NYC after just one stay! The bedrooms are stunning, the beds are out of this world comfortable (Duxiana I believe), and the bathrooms are some of the best I have seen in the city (large, functional, very well appointed). While it is difficult to get into, Cafe Boulud is fantastic (don't go there hungry, the portions are on the smaller size). I was in NYC on business (mainly midtown); therefore, the location of the hotel was a bit out of the way. However, it was well worth the 20-30 block taxi ride to my clients' offices.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, November 20, 2010
Dear Hotelstocks,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting a review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to read your comments and will share your feedback. I hope to welcome you back from California more frequently.

I would agree that for some business travellers, it may percievably be far from mid town, but in my (biased) opinion, this area to relax at night and to enjoy an afternoon cannot be compared. There is really no place in NYC to have a nice normal evening in such a beautiful location and neighborhood.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Happy Holidays.
Zürich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

This was my second stay at The Surrey in New York. For business reasons I travel twice a year to New York and usually stay in May and November for five nights. Comparing to all the many other hotels I stayed in The Surrey is absolutely my favourite. The room (good size) was very beautiful, clean, cosy and stylish. The staff always very friendly and very helpful. From the first evening I arrived until my departure day I really felt at home.
Housekeeping was very good and friendly too. I had a problem with the heating (which wouldn't stop) and within minutes an engineer came to my room and very professionally fixed it immediately. I can also recommend the bar and of course the Restaurant which is just fantastic. I absolutely look forward to my next stay in May at The Surrey.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear Patek5056,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting a review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to read your notes and will gladly share with my team. I would agree that my team is what really makes the difference in the hotel. We are far from perfect but they all work hard to ensure a great experience for our guests.
Thank you for the comment on the tricky heating issue, you are not the first to mention. We are working to regulate, but with the weather changing due to the seasonal change, its more complicated then is should be. I appreciate you sharing.

I hope to welcoming you back from Beautiful Switzerland soon.

Happy Holidays.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

This was our second stay at the Surrey and it exceeded all of our expectations. Our room was beyond great . We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite which was spacous and very romantic. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We loved the bar which was very intimate. Even though the rooftop bar was closed we still went up and enjoyed a great view of the city on a great clear night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great hotel in a top neighborhood.

EPR- MBR Little Silver, NJ

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear EPR306,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting a comment.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am glad to see you enjoyed your experience and could even sneak up and relax in the garden. I hope you can come and stay with us again in the near future.

Thank you again and Happy Holidays.
London, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I was nicely surprised by this hotel. I lived in Manhattan for 10 years and actually never heard of this hotel.

Location: great! Right off Madison avenue, my windows were facing the street and I found the room surprisingly quite. Close to midtown and all shopping, 1/2 block from the park.

Rooms: amazing. Very large, beautifully decorated, marble bathrooms, great interiors. I tried several hotels in NYC but this one is my favorite now.

Food: you have one of the best NYC restaurants in the hotel and plenty others to choose from around.

Service: amazing custome services. the concierge was FANTASTIC! I had to prod off a package and was asking where to find the closest UPS drop off box - there was none withing 10 blocks. Concierge INSISTED he takes care of it for me and he did! They checked me in for a flight, even double confirmed a gate and waited 15 mins outside with my luggage to catch me a taxi in a rush hour. Can't beat that for a busy biz traveler!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Dear MandMLondon_NewYork,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for posting your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am very happy to read your observations and happy to know that we have exceeded your expectations. My team works very hard to provide the best in service. Although we are far from perfect, our staff is 100% focused on continually improving. Your feedback is a great motivator for us. I will gladly share with my team.

Please let us know when your travels bring you back to New York. All the best.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010 via mobile

Thank you very much to the staff at the The Surrey. They made us feel very welcome and looked after. It was a great touch to be recognised coming down the street, as residents, and the door opened well in advance. The room was fantastic and the lighting system great for mood creation. The superior fittings furniture linens shower and overall style of the room made for a great refuge from the bustle of the city. Well done, all your hard work paid off for us.

• Stayed November 2010
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Dear Deesidetraveler,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for posting your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I appreciate your comments on our service levels, we have an amazing staff and its great to see that they could create a memorable experience for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future.
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

But in this case, 95% is just too LOW!!! This business trip, my wife asked to accompany me to New York for her first trip ever to the Big Apple

So, thinking where would be a good location where she could walk, be close to museums and great dining, shopping etc....I went to Trip Advisor and found The Surrey...which also happens to be part of my favorite group of hotels .... Affinia. (normally, I stay at the Dumont when on business alone).

In the course of my reservation, I inserted a one line note that this trip would be my wife's first visit ever to NYC. WOW....did this hotel respond...and respond BIG. The upgraded room was AWESOME.....but the class of service from the front desk, to the bellman, concierge...and the lovely housekeeping staff is what really made this stay PERFECT. Then, the staff arranged for us to dine at the wonderful Cafe Boulud....and this food was a culinary delight!

Thank you so much to the ENTIRE SURREY STAFF - WE TRULY APPRECIATE THIS FINE AND AMAZING SERVICE - SEE YOU SOON - Alan & Bibiana

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Alan and Bibiana

Well as the GM reading the subject line, I must say, if you goal was to get my heart racing, it did. Very clever.

Thank you for posting a comment and for choosing to stay at the Surrey.

My name is Spencer Wadama.

I am very happy to read your comments and am especially happy to see your comment on our Housekeeping staff. They truly are an amazing group of Ladies and Gentlemen that love the hotel and enjoy taking care of people. I trust that Bibiana's overall New York experience was unforgettable and you can't wait to return.

i do look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey. Thank you again.

Been to The Surrey? Share your experiences!