“Home to Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 451 hotels in New York City
London
“Home to Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I cannot, in enough words, describe how great this hotel is. From room comfort, to friendly staff and amazing terrace, The Surrey is a truly a hidden gem in New York. One of the best hotels I have stayed in. Located in a super location, right by central park, you would be silly not to stay here. Taxis are mega cheap, so if you wanted to be in the centre of everything, its a 5 minute taxi. I wish I stayed longer. The staff were so pleasant and helpful, it was unreal. So friendly and always happy to help. The food was great, especially the burgers! Wow! Its the kind of place you need to visit yourself. New York is wonderful, and The Surrey is truly magnifique!

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Dear Missmagnifique,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your kind review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the experience and most of all, the service of the hotel. My teams works hard to provide the best in service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey and wish you well.

996 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Turkish first
Los An
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Wow- great place to stay in Upper East Side. Calm, Sophisticated . Service excellant, everyone focused on customer service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Dear Mandroski,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Surrey and thank you for sharing your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am very pleased at your review and will gladly share with my team. We work very hard to provide the best in service and the team takes great pride in that, They will be happy to know they succeeded with your experience.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I booked our stay at The Surrey after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. Our stay was even better than we expected. The entire hotel has a very cool decor with great attention to detail. My wife is an interior designer and was impressed. We booked the upgraded room with about 370 sq ft. It was outstanding. The materials and the fixtures are top notch. We have stayed in numerous high end hotels over the years and this was amongst our favorite hotels - if not "the" favorite. Since we stayed 3 nights we received one night free. This makes The Surrey a no-brainer. The location is upper east side so you can walk to downtown or just hop in a cab. Having Central Park across the street was better for us than having crowded sidewalks outside like downtown. Rowing and lunch at the Central Park Boat House was fun. Ate at the restaurant Boulad downstairs. The food was very good and the service excellent. We spent a couple late nights at the roof top bar. Awesome! Highly recommended. Staff was very friendly. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Dear Dr Zeus72,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for your amazing review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. i am very happy to share your comments with my team and Cafe Boulud. i know they will be excited to know that they created a positive impression on you and the Mrs. We continuously work to improve on our service and your feedback helps tremendously.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey and thank you again.

All the best
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We've just returned from a 7 night stay at The Surrey. We've loved every moment there. Perfect place and excelent staff.
The staff were extremelly friendly and helpfull. At check in we've arrived from a overnight flight, and the concierge had our room ready for us for an early check in. Provided us with maps and information about the hotel. We were able to get a showere, rest a bit and were ready for a sight seen. She offered us several suggestions and helpfull information. At the rooftop there is a bar with light food and drinks, perfect for early evening drink!
Also the location: at upper east side, between 5th and Maddison near the Met! We had great time walking around, and definetelly a place to rest in peace (far from midtown buzz) but close enought for a theatre at night!
Furthermore: Cafe Boloud! Well I can not stress how much I loved the dinner there! There was a night when the rooftop bar was closed due to heat alert and I went down and asked if it was possible (without previous reservation) dine there. They managed to get me a table and I had the mopst delicious meal! 3-course meal, with wine! Perfect in every detail.
The room was great, two large wardrobes! Inernet access for a fee (paid one week and talked to my family using skipe everyday), Turn down service (the chocolate dip madeleines were great!). We had breakfast in the room once and loved it!
Finally a personal touch from the manager. I was impressed that everythime something might happen later there was a letter form the manager explaining (like the heat alert, or a fire alarm one night). A personal touch that make us feel confortable and taken care!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Dear Ferrazalves,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am happy to read your review and am happy to know that you enjoyed the property, location and most of all, the service in the hotel. My team takes great pride in what they do everyday and they will be happy to know they have won your loyalty.

I am excited to share that i am traveling to Brazil soon and am excited to see you country for the first time.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey on your next visit to New York City.
travel agent, San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I love this hotel. It is very new, just far enough away from the crowds, has lovely staff and pretty rooms.
The hotel has a very nice feel to it and the staff just add more to that. they are helpful in every way.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The rooftop deck is very nice and the drinks are great in both bars, the rooftop and the lobby bar.
breakfast in the cafe was very good.
the beds are the most comfortable i have ever slept in. I was on the 12th floor and noise
was not an issue.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Dear christy2064,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for the wonderful comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, general manager. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your experience and made use of the property. We are very proud of the product but most importantly the staff I get to work with everyday.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

Had a great stay at the Surrey for our first wedding anniversary. Coming from the UK, the Upper East felt like Chelsea in London - very exclusive, quiet and populated with well-dressed people. Our room on the fifth floor was very large with excellent furniture, toiletries etc. It overlooked the front of the hotel and as long as windows were closed at night, it was quiet enough. Probably one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in. The staff were all friendly and professional and the common areas were great. Breakfast was very good with excellent quality pastries, coffee, smoothies and juice. We had room service once, which again was excellent - served on a large table with a flower, nice cutlery etc. The rooftop terrace was a delight with the sun setting after a long hot day walking the streets of Manhattan. My wife had a very relaxing pedicure + manicure as well.

Only one small gripe is the $14.95 per day WiFi - makes no sense whatsoever in a luxury hotel... WiFi is a necessity for those people coming from abroad with smartphones and expensive roaming dataplans...

Definitely highly recommended and would stay here again without a second thought. This is how a hotel should be run. Thanks.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, July 3, 2010
Dear Bryceadvisor,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey for your visit to New York City and thank you for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am pleased to read your comments and feel happy that you could enjoy the amenities of the hotel and the Spa. I will share your comments with my team.

I do understand your comment on the coffee makers in rooms and rest assured we are looking into options to add this to our rooms.

Thank you again and I wish you the best.
carlsbad,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We greatly enjoyed our stay at The Surrey. For us, it was a splurge where we said "it was really worth it." The location on 76th and Madison is very elegant; the staff is wonderfully knowledgeable and helpful (great concierge); and the rooms have a great Duxiana bed, wonderful overhead showers and everything is new. Best of all is the downstairs bar and the delightful drinks from the resident "mixologist," and the rooftop penthouse with fantastic views of Manhattan and comfortable tables.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
Dear PKRAS,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and Thank you for your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager. I am excited to read your thoughts on the hotel and service. Our staff strive to provide Considered Moments for our guests in hopes that they go home with a great impression not only of the hotel, but New York City.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey in the near future.

Been to The Surrey? Share your experiences!