“Favorite Upper East Side Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Night
Ranked #16 of 452 hotels in New York City
Chicagp
“Favorite Upper East Side Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I'm in New York frequently and like to stay on the Upper East Side. I've tried all of the smaller hotels in that neighborhood at some point, but since finding The Surrey, I won't shop around anymore. The rooms are really nice without being over the top - neutral colors, comfortable, great bathroom. Cafe Boulud is off the lobby and provides room service. It would be one of my favorite restaurants even if it weren't in the hotel. There's a very nice, quiet bar, although it was closed for a private event one night, and a terrific roof deck. The location is perfect - right off Central Park and walking distance to the Whitney and Met. The best thing about the hotel, however, is the staff. Everyone I encountered was unusually pleasant, efficient and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floor on the Madison Avenue side can be a little noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Barbara B,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious feedback on TripAdvisor. We are honored that we have become your hotel of choice in New York City.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and Museum Mile and inspiring Lauren Rottet design, to the culinary delights on Michelin starred Café Boulud and innovative libations of Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

We pride ourselves on the personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members and I am thrilled that we were successful in achieving this with you.

1,023 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Turkish first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I love this hotel, but on my last 2 stays there the bar and restaurant were closed for private events. When I complained to the manager, they said that I could order a drink in my room. Personally, I do not want to have an after dinner drink in my room or have to eat alone in my room. I feel it is a basic amenity to have a bar and restaurant open to guests. After all, it is not a B & B

Dear Mrs. Wendy L,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback from your recent stays with us.

I would like to extend my most sincere apologies that we were unsuccessful in offering more attractive alternatives for your dining experience while Café Boulud and Bar Pleiades were closed for private events. Rest assured that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with our entire team in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband was at a local hospital and this hotel was wonderful! The hotel was able to accommodate me at the last minute and the staff was superb. I did dine in the cafe, the food and service was fantastic. Would love to stay again for pleasure.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Dear Lisa L,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent experience with us.

I am delighted that our team members were so diligent in assisting you during your stay.

I concur that Michelin starred Café Boulud is one of our most special attributes and I am thrilled that you enjoyed their culinary delights.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

South Pole
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My last stay in a hotel in NYC was a nightmare, so I wanted to rent an apartment for this trip. Unfortunately that did not work out, so just days before our departure I had to find a hotel. It was not really my intention to go 5*, but the choice was limited.
I was not disappointed by the Surrey. The room was very spacious, the bed excellent, even though I did not quite understand how they make the bed (first a sheet and thin blanket, which is too cold, and then a heavy duvet, which in combination with the blanket makes it too warm). The bathroom is quite large for NYC standards and oh that shower...... as if standing in the Niagara falls - not that I've ever stood in there, but I can imagine it must be like that. Very, very good!
Housekeeping could have been a bit more attentive in restocking the bathroom supplies.
We had a room in the back, so not much of a view, but also no street-noise, which I know can be loud in NYC during the night.
The location, close to Central Park, The Met, the Guggenheim and not too far from the subway is also excellent.

My only complaint is that here, as well as in other hotels, you have to pay extra for wifi in the room. I can imagine that that was common practise a few years ago, but since this is 2014 I really, really think that wifi should be included in the price of the room. It's like asking if you'd like a tv in the room. For me it's pretty standard now, so please.....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lotsofpeppers,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park and Museum Mile and that our spacious guest accommodations, custom Duxiana bedding and oversized glass enclosed showers exceeded your expectations.

Despite these highlights, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies that you did not enjoy our Sferra linens and duvet and that we failed to diligently restock your bathroom amenities. Rest assured that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your comments with Mr. Erik Wood, Director of Housekeeping, in hopes of preventing future such occurrences.

I would like to also apologize for annoyance caused by our internet pricing. Kindly note that the pricing is in keeping with the standards set by our neighboring hotels.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I recently spent a week at The Surrey while I was moving and my new Manhattan apartment was not yet ready. it truly became my home away from home! The service was impeccable and the staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and help me when i had to extend my stay ( twice). The room service was terrific after long tiring days, and so were the gym and the spa. The Surrey has a European, chic feeling about it and, for me, it is located in the best neighborhood. I would warmly recommend it to friends and to visitors who want a true Upper East Side experience in New York City.

Room Tip: Higher floors and corner rooms get the best light and view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Manuela G,

Thank you for sharing such gracious feedback from your recent one week stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location and that our In-Room Dining provided by Michelin starred Café Boulud and fitness center exceeded your expectations. I concur that Cornelia Spa is one of our most special attributes and provides the utmost tranquil treatments.

Thank you especially for recognizing the warm and gracious service provided by our team members.

We truly appreciate your advocacy of The Surrey and word of mouth recommendations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

For our 27th wedding anniversary and attending the James Beards Awards ceremony, we knew we needed more than any ordinary hotel. The Surrey lived up to its name and more. Beautiful flowers in the room upon arriving and champagne on our anniversary day. Rachel Leyland, Guest Relations Manager, went out of her way to make us feel special every day. The staff were professional and yet friendly. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Dear n_johnston,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are truly honored to have been part of your special anniversary celebration.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm, gracious and caring service delivery and I am thrilled that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you. Thank you especially for recognizing Ms. Rachel Leyland, Guest Relations Manager, for the exceptional service she extended to you.

winchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

First of all the good stuff.
-Great location- a quick walk to Central Park or across to the Subway on Lexington.
-Friendly staff, especially the concierge staff couldn't do any more to help.
-Fantastic Cafe Boulud for breakfast and dinner.
- Great room and bathroom. Very comfy bed. Great shower!
- A misunderstanding over the room rate was immediately sorted out to our satisfaction with no questions asked.

Why not five stars then?

Unfortunately for two nights of our four night stay we were woken at between 1 and 2am by an incredibly load garbage truck being loaded and crushing garbage right under our window at the front of the hotel. This was a very loud operation, not helped by the operators of the truck shouting to make themselves heard over the racket. I didn't know what it was at first and was amazed when I looked out to see what was happening. I hoped it was a one off but when it happened the second time I was not amused. The whole operation took about 30 minutes, maybe more! I can't understand how this is acceptable even in NYC. I would suggest that to be sure of a good night's sleep that you request a room at the back.

Also I'm not sure whether it was just me but I could not get the complex lighting controls to give me anything other than full brightness of all lights or almost complete darkness.

One final small point. We were staying in NYC for my wife's 50th birthday, her first visit. The hotel were aware of this but no special token or effort was made to recognise this. Small things like that
make a big difference.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back to avoid the middle of the night garbage truck
Dear johnofwin,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

Although we exceeded your expectations in many regards, I would like to extend my most heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to the lighting controls as well as the exterior noise pollution. I was truly disheartened to learn that you did not enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep.

I would further like to apologize for our error in arranging a special amenity for your wife’s birthday. I understand that a member of our Guest Relations team has been in contact with you and I hope that we have restored your faith and trust in us.

Assistant General Manager

Been to The Surrey? Share your experiences!