“Delightful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 451 hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed five nights in this delightful hotel. The design of the hotel is most beautiful. Staff is professional, although not always warm, and I was particularly impressed with housekeeping.

Check in was smooth but my request for a room higher up away from the generator could not be met. My first night was disturbed by a loud humming from the generator/air conditioning unit. The hotel was able to find me a much nicer room without the noise and I had a fabulous stay from then onward.

I appreciated the bottled water in the room but the hotel should offer free wifi and tell guests about the coffee that is available in the lobby in the morning (I only found out about this when I left).

All in all, I will definitely stay there again for the lovely interior and the location.

Room Tip: avoid room facing the generator/ac unit
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent five night stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design as well as our idyllic Upper East Side location.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the exterior noise pollution. Despite this, I am pleased that our team was able to offer you alternative, more tranquil, accommodations.

I am truly disappointed to learn that although our team members are professional, we did not extend the warm and gracious service we pride ourselves on. I also regret that you were not informed of the coffee service available in the lobby until your day of departure. I have spoken with Mr Petar Krstic, Director of Front Office, as this is an opportunity for us to improve upon our services.

I am truly sorry that you felt inconvenienced by our Internet fees. As we periodically review our pricing for all services and amenities, we will take your feedback into consideration.

I am pleased that these events have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

988 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Marina Del Rey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I was very impressed with everything about my stay at The Surrey. The hotel is beautiful. Very NY. The bar and restaurant were superb. All the staff from reception to housekeeping to the waitstaff to the doorman were helpful and courteous. The amenities were perfect. Loved my espresso maker. I wish I could have stayed longer. I hope to go back again soon.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey. I am thrilled that you had such an exceptional experience with us.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the spacious guest accommodations and inspiring Lauren Rottet design to the personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members.

I concur that the culinary delights provided by Michelin star Café Bould are exceptional and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the handcrafted cocktails in Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

If you're looking for a beautiful space that feels like staying in your own luxury apartment in NYC--but with all the amenities of a hotel--located somewhere quiet, safe and elegant, then look no further. You're steps from the MET, Central Park, as well as some lovely cafés

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious praises from your recent stay at The Surrey. I am delighted that you felt at home and comfortable while staying with us.

We are truly honored to have exceeded your expectations in so many regards from our idyllic Upper East Side location to our inspiring Lauren Rottet design.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, intuitive and gracious service delivery and I am thrilled to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Sometimes you don't have to get on a plane to have a great vacation. We got our car service from our apartment in New York City to the Surrey Hotel. We checked in and then we were off to the Metropolitan Museum for the afternoon. That evening, we had reserved in the fabulous Cafe Boulud in the hotel. Our dinner and experience were superb. I chatted with a staff member in French and he was delightful. He even asked me if I had lived in France, because I had a good "ear." When we walked in to our sunlit room on the 12th floor, it was love at first sight. The hotel is intimate, beautifully decorated in a modern and subdued palette, with good art works. Our Dux king bed and linens were very comfortable. All in all, it was a warm, fun experience with unpretentious staff who make you feel welcome. And by the way, I thought the price was quite reasonable for the room.This is my go-to hotel in New York. Now I wish I could find a comparable one in Paris.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your generous feedback with us. We are so proud to be referred to as your go-to hotel in New York.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park with convenient access to New York City’s transportation resources.

I am also pleased that our tranquil Grand Deluxe Salon featuring inspiring Lauren Rottet design and custom Duxiana bedding exceeded your expectations. I concur that the culinary delights of Michelin starred Café Boulud are spectacular and I am so pleased that you had such a memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Excellent Hotel and restaurant, but why charge for wifi? Most "economy" hotels offer free access, so why does an expensive hotel need to do this? I know the Surrey is not the only high end hotel to impose this ridiculous and grasping charge, but as hotel users we should protest at this mean petty practice.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and our comfortable guest accommodations.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to our wireless internet pricing. We will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we periodically audit our pricing for our services.

Kindly contact me the next time your travels bring you to New York at 646.358.3605 so I may personally assist you with your travel arrangements.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

A gem of a hotel on the Upper East Side. Walking distance to the Met, Whitney, Frick and, AMNH. It's on Madison so it goes without saying there is fabulous shopping. No shortage of restaurants or cafes nearby. The concierge was right-on with every recommendation.
The staff at The Surrey are FANTASTIC, attentive to every detail, and anticipated our every need.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your stay at The Surrey.

I am truly delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, famed Madison Avenue shopping and local museums.

We pride ourselves on the warm and gracious service we provide to our guests by paying attention to very small detail. I am delighted that our wonderful team was successful in contributing to a memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back and in the interim, I remain at your service.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Fabulous hotel- stunning interior design, nothing I wouldn't want in my own home!
Staff were excellent.
Room size (we got a suite) was quite nice- mini bar in room - stunning and vintage
Sadly the main asset of the hotel- the roof terrace was closed.
Would have been nice to have been informed before there trip and offered a gesture towards an apology
Gym is very small- but when you have central park so close you may prefer that
I had two of the most expensive coffees of my life from room service! Prepare to be shocked!

Room Tip: Try and go for a high floor for the views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and that our spacious guest accommodations and wonderful mini bar exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am so pleased that we were successful in achieving this with you.

We, too look forward to the reopening of our Private Roof Garden come May when the temperature permits. Please accept my most sincere apologies that we did not communicate the seasonality of our Roof Garden to you. However, kindly note that our website reads that the Private Roof Garden is currently closed for the season and that the garden will reopen in May 2014.

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our fitness center. We have taken your feedback into consideration and although we are unable to increase the size of the fitness center at this time, we will be completely replacing all equipment this year as part of our continuous improvement to our product and services.

Please know that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and we will take your comments into consideration as we periodically audit the pricing of our In Room Dining menu.