“My new favorite NYC hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Night
Ranked #15 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Marina Del Rey, California
“My new favorite NYC hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I was very impressed with everything about my stay at The Surrey. The hotel is beautiful. Very NY. The bar and restaurant were superb. All the staff from reception to housekeeping to the waitstaff to the doorman were helpful and courteous. The amenities were perfect. Loved my espresso maker. I wish I could have stayed longer. I hope to go back again soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey. I am thrilled that you had such an exceptional experience with us.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the spacious guest accommodations and inspiring Lauren Rottet design to the personalized and intuitive service provided by our team members.

I concur that the culinary delights provided by Michelin star Café Bould are exceptional and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the handcrafted cocktails in Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

If you're looking for a beautiful space that feels like staying in your own luxury apartment in NYC--but with all the amenities of a hotel--located somewhere quiet, safe and elegant, then look no further. You're steps from the MET, Central Park, as well as some lovely cafés

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such gracious praises from your recent stay at The Surrey. I am delighted that you felt at home and comfortable while staying with us.

We are truly honored to have exceeded your expectations in so many regards from our idyllic Upper East Side location to our inspiring Lauren Rottet design.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, intuitive and gracious service delivery and I am thrilled to learn that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Sometimes you don't have to get on a plane to have a great vacation. We got our car service from our apartment in New York City to the Surrey Hotel. We checked in and then we were off to the Metropolitan Museum for the afternoon. That evening, we had reserved in the fabulous Cafe Boulud in the hotel. Our dinner and experience were superb. I chatted with a staff member in French and he was delightful. He even asked me if I had lived in France, because I had a good "ear." When we walked in to our sunlit room on the 12th floor, it was love at first sight. The hotel is intimate, beautifully decorated in a modern and subdued palette, with good art works. Our Dux king bed and linens were very comfortable. All in all, it was a warm, fun experience with unpretentious staff who make you feel welcome. And by the way, I thought the price was quite reasonable for the room.This is my go-to hotel in New York. Now I wish I could find a comparable one in Paris.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your generous feedback with us. We are so proud to be referred to as your go-to hotel in New York.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park with convenient access to New York City’s transportation resources.

I am also pleased that our tranquil Grand Deluxe Salon featuring inspiring Lauren Rottet design and custom Duxiana bedding exceeded your expectations. I concur that the culinary delights of Michelin starred Café Boulud are spectacular and I am so pleased that you had such a memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, I remain at your service.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Excellent Hotel and restaurant, but why charge for wifi? Most "economy" hotels offer free access, so why does an expensive hotel need to do this? I know the Surrey is not the only high end hotel to impose this ridiculous and grasping charge, but as hotel users we should protest at this mean petty practice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and our comfortable guest accommodations.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to our wireless internet pricing. We will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we periodically audit our pricing for our services.

Kindly contact me the next time your travels bring you to New York at 646.358.3605 so I may personally assist you with your travel arrangements.

In the interim, I remain at your service.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

A gem of a hotel on the Upper East Side. Walking distance to the Met, Whitney, Frick and, AMNH. It's on Madison so it goes without saying there is fabulous shopping. No shortage of restaurants or cafes nearby. The concierge was right-on with every recommendation.
The staff at The Surrey are FANTASTIC, attentive to every detail, and anticipated our every need.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your stay at The Surrey.

I am truly delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location with close proximity to Central Park, famed Madison Avenue shopping and local museums.

We pride ourselves on the warm and gracious service we provide to our guests by paying attention to very small detail. I am delighted that our wonderful team was successful in contributing to a memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back and in the interim, I remain at your service.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Fabulous hotel- stunning interior design, nothing I wouldn't want in my own home!
Staff were excellent.
Room size (we got a suite) was quite nice- mini bar in room - stunning and vintage
Sadly the main asset of the hotel- the roof terrace was closed.
Would have been nice to have been informed before there trip and offered a gesture towards an apology
Gym is very small- but when you have central park so close you may prefer that
I had two of the most expensive coffees of my life from room service! Prepare to be shocked!

Room Tip: Try and go for a high floor for the views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and that our spacious guest accommodations and wonderful mini bar exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am so pleased that we were successful in achieving this with you.

We, too look forward to the reopening of our Private Roof Garden come May when the temperature permits. Please accept my most sincere apologies that we did not communicate the seasonality of our Roof Garden to you. However, kindly note that our website reads that the Private Roof Garden is currently closed for the season and that the garden will reopen in May 2014.

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our fitness center. We have taken your feedback into consideration and although we are unable to increase the size of the fitness center at this time, we will be completely replacing all equipment this year as part of our continuous improvement to our product and services.

Please know that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and we will take your comments into consideration as we periodically audit the pricing of our In Room Dining menu.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My fiance and I were planning our wedding in NYC this past weekend and chose the Surrey to be our base of operations while in town. I notified the General Manager of our arrival and special event, and although I never did hear back from her, I did make contact with Rachel the Guest Services manager who went out of her way to make the stay enjoyable. Of note, immediately after our ceremony ended there was a know at the door and a wonderful bottle of champagne was delivered for our guests to enjoy. The timing was impeccable and I'm very appreciative of the thought.

Pros to our stay - The location is great, just one block off the Park and on a very nice portion of Madison Avenue. Many cafes and fun shopping is located very close. The rooms are done quite nicely in high end residential style furnishings and the bed linens and bathroom towels are of high quality. Room service was quick to deliver exactly what was ordered and were always very professional and nice to deal with. It is a bit pricey but of course in this market it's to be expected.

Cons during our stay - Housekeeping services were good but not great. Things like towels not replenished at turn down, sometimes getting ice bucket at turn down sometimes not, no vacuuming one day when it was obviously needed, etc. It was by no means bad but certainly could use a polish. While I think it's a wonderful service to allow guests to bring dogs I do think it needs to be monitored carefully to ensure it doesn't disturb others. On two different occasions I was disturbed by barking on my floor. In at least one case it was clear that the poor dog had been left alone in the room that they were unfamiliar with and they were expressing their anxiety. I'm not sure exactly how to cure this however I do believe that if it bothers other guests its not quite working correctly. I will say that in follow up to the first complaint the guest was contacted immediately and the barking stopped soon thereafter. On the second event, I was told that the Surrey team didn't hear the barking when they came up and professed that there was nothing else to do unless I heard barking again. At that point I turned the AC on high, covered by head with a pillow and went to sleep.

All that said, this was a very comfortable stay and for the most part it ticked all the important boxes. These few service niggles can be corrected by an experienced and involved GM as I'm sure will happen in this case.

If you like the UES, give the Surrey a shot.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. Suites that contain fireplaces along with small terraces are really very...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to receive your feedback post-departure and again, I am thrilled that you chose The Surrey for your most special day.

Please know that at the time of your initial e-mail I was out of the country and enlisted Ms Rachel Leyland, Guest Relations Manager, to respond to you on my behalf. I am so pleased to learn of the personalized and intuitive service she extended to you.

I am delighted that we further exceeded your expectations from our idyllic Upper East Side location and inspiring Lauren Rottet design to the Sferra linens and In-Room Dining provided by Michelin starred Café Boulud

Despite these highlights, I was sincerely disappointed to learn of that your housekeeping services were not in keeping with our usual standards of service. Rest assured that your feedback has been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your feedback with Mr Erik Wood, Director of Housekeeping, as we strive to improve on our services.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the noise pollution from our four legged guests. I sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy the most peaceful night’s sleep. I assure you that we make every effort to minimize noise complaints and I am confident that your next visit to The Surrey will be much more tranquil.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Been to The Surrey? Share your experiences!