“Exceptional!” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Night
Ranked #15 of 453 Hotels in New York City
“Exceptional!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

With so many options in NYC and in this neighborhood, The Surrey is an amazing find. Our stay and experience was exceptional in every way. The staff was always accommodating, incredibly helpful and friendly. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. No complaints, we highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am so proud to learn that your experience was exceptional in every way.

I am so delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the personalized and intutitive service provided by our team members to our spacious and comfortable guest accommodations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Hotel is nice, quiet area; I had an excellent sleep, and the location is great. It is just off Madison avenue, with lots of shops and restaurant. It is just like a "Relais et Chateaux" institution! Loved it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share such gracious feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey. We are very proud to be a part of the Relais & Chateaux family.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our tranquil Upper East Side location with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue boutiques and world renowned restaurants.

I am thrilled to learn that our custom Duxiana bedding provided for an excellent night’s sleep.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to The Surrey and in the interim, I remain at your service.

San Pedro Sula, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I loved everything about my stay at The Surrey. The room seemed much larger than the usual NYC postage stamp rooms. The bathrooms were divine. I loved the utilitarian.art deco feel and it was very spacious indeed. The Mitchell and Peach products were too die for. The roof top bar was perfect and whilst we were there witnessed a fantastic New York sunset. So glad we didn´t stay at The Carlyle across the road because we went in for a look and it very musty the bar. No comparison to the well designed bar in The Surrey. A bit on the pricey side however most definitely worth it which you can $270 and end up with something dreadful. Spend another $100 and you are guaranteed pure luxury.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am so thrilled that you loved everything about your stay.

I am delighted that our spacious guest accommodations and bathrooms exceeded your expectations from the inspiring Lauren Rottet design to our Mitchell and Peach amenities.

We are proud to offer our guests exclusive access to our Private Roof Garden and I concur that the sunset views are breathtaking. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the design of Coco-Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Wow... Where to start! The Surrey Hotel provided us with a perfect 6 night break away this September for my girlfriends birthday - a real retreat after a long day sightseeing in the big apple! The hotel is a little on the pricey side but I was very lucky to find an amazing deal on lastminute.com, with that said it really is worth every penny even at full price! From the moment you arrive the staff make you feel right at home. We aren't the 'usual' or 'typical' 5 star guests, but we were made to feel very welcome none the less. The doorman are so friendly and helpful. Coco, (I think that was his name? Asian chap with glasses?) is so down to earth and always made time to talk to us about our day and offer his recommendations on attractions and restaurants.
On my girlfriends birthday I ordered a delicious breakfast in bed from the in room dining menu. We had previously eaten at a few different places for breakfast, so we were surprised to find the in room menu and mini bar fridge to be very reasonably priced. The service to our room was very good and the food was outstanding! A real treat. Would highly recommend it.
Overall the hotel and our room met our expectations. Modern and smart decor, and probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! We stayed in room 1213, a standard room, with a king bed and a huge walk in shower - which really is as powerful as a fireman's hose! Our power shower back home now seems rather pathetic! The view of Central Park was a lovely surprise too.
The only points of criticism I can make to our entire stay we're the finishing touches in our room. The furniture looked quite tired and worn with quite a few scratches and dents, and the sofa had long pen marks on the fabric. I was surprised to see that the finish to the bathroom was really quite poor too. The mastic (seal) along the floor, wall tiles, door frame and in the shower was very poorly finished. It was very rough and messy. I am a plumber by trade, so I do have a tendency to notice these things. But even so, with a 5 star hotel I would have expected this to be finished off to a much higher standard with attention to detail.
Overall, it really was a fantastic stay! We didn't want to come home, and we are definitely looking forward to returning in the near future.

Room Tip: We saved an amazing 40% on our entire trip (flights and hotel) by booking with lastminute.com!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to have been part of your special birthday celebration.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, genuine and intuitive service delivery and I am proud to learn that our entire team, most notably Mr. Koko Latt, our wonderful Doorman, was successful in ensuring you felt comfortable in your home away from home. I have shared your feedback with Koko who was thrilled by your most gracious praises.

I concur that our In Room Dining by Michelin Star Café Boulud is one of our most special amenities and I am pleased that you enjoyed the service provided to you.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and that our custom Duxiana bedding and over sized glass enclosed shower and views of Central Park exceeded your expectations.

Despite these highlights, I am disappointed that we fell short in ensuring the furniture and upholstery details as well as the finishing details in our room were not completed to perfection. Rest assured that your valuable feedback was taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your feedback with Mr Dave Stewart, Direct of Engineering and Mr Erik Wood, Director of Housekeeping, in hopes that we can correct these product gaps moving forward.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was the first time I stayed at this hotel - and found it to be absolutely outstanding. The room was very spacious for New York standards and very comfortable and well appointed. The staff was very proactive and service minded. While a bit pricy, the value received was well worth it and I will definitely stay here on my next trip to the city.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you taking a moment to share your most gracious feedback from your first stay at The Surrey. I am proud to learn that your stay with us was outstanding.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious guest accommodations and inspiring Lauren Rottet design.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with intuitive, personalized and gracious service delivery and I am so happy to learn that we were successful in achieving this with you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I love staying at the Surrey when in NYC. After being out and about all day it is the perfect spot to come back and relax. All of the staff are so welcoming. At night you can walk to many great spots.

Dear Ms Cook,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you were able to relax at The Surrey after a day out in the city and enjoy the many great close by spots in the evenings.

I am so proud to learn that we exceeded your expectations with the welcoming service provided by our team members.

Wetherby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at the Surrey for the first time for five night's at the end of August and had a really nice time and enjoyed staying at this smaller NYC hotel. I really liked the modern black themed design of the hotel.
After a mix up on arrival with our room, where were allocated a disabled room with disabled bathroom facility's and no other room being available that suited our needs (we worked our way around this problem) we found very few things to fault about the hotel. The rooms are really nice and the beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The rooms were also quiet which was nice.
The wireless internet connection's were also really easy to set up with one code giving you four devices being able to be used. This was great for the Laptop and my iPad.
The location is also very handy as you are right on Madison Avenue which is a really nice street with great shops and then on the other side you are right by Central Park. It is also really easy to get a taxi down to Fifth Avenue and this only takes about three minutes so it was no problem.
The Breakfast at the hotel in the Cafe Boulud restaurant was excellent. The quality of food was very good and most breakfast foods you could think of were offered. Breakfast was also run by a really good French lady (I can't remember her name) who was excellent at her job and made the whole process of ordering very easy and the service was virtually faultless. Even the Tea served was very good which makes a change for American hotel's as it tend's to not be the best. Although we did not have dinner at the restaurant the menu looked very appealing.
I have to give a special mention to Michael on Concierge. He was superb at his job and very helpful even though I used to bombard him with lots of different question's even before I arrived, mostly about restaurant's. He always replied to my e-mail's and gave great information. I was very grateful for his help.
The hotel also has a Roof Top Terrace with a bar that serve's really good drinks and offer's a nice view of New York. We used to go there before dinner in the evenings and thought it was great. I did find it strange that it was not open after 11.00pm though. It would of been nice to come back to the hotel after dinner and gone back up to the roof and seen some of New York lit up whilst having one last drink.
If I had to find some fault's with the hotel I would say they need a better gym. It is to small and the equipment is to close together. It is as if they have just had a spare room and decided to stick some gym equipment in it. There were no windows. Now I know you can run in Central Park across the road but I still think this quality of Hotel should have a bigger and better gym.
I also found the bar off of reception to dark, even though this was probably in keeping with the hotel's design and found it very cold. The air condoning was too high in my opinion but the bar itself was very nice although the service was a touch on the slow side sometimes.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay at a top quality hotel in New York and we would certainly be looking to stay at The Surrey again next year when we make our annual visit to New York from England. Great City and really good hotel. The time flies.

Room Tip: If you are after a Twin rooms with double beds make sure you are not allocated a disabled room. The...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your first stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and tranquil guest accommodations featuring custom Duxiana bedding despite being in an accessible room. I am also pleased to learn that we were successful in providing you with a user friendly wireless internet connection.

I am thrilled that our idyllic Upper East Side location was convenient for you with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping with an abundance of taxi cabs.

We concur that breakfast in Café Boulud is excellent and I am proud that your server assisted with your ordering and provided you with virtually flawless service delivery. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the tea service. I have shared your feedback with the Café Boulud Team who were thrilled by your gracious praises. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the hand crafted cocktails and breathtaking views from the Private Roof Garden.

Thank you especially for taking a moment to recognize Michael, our wonderful Concierge. I am so happy to learn that he helped you with all of your requests even prior to your arrival.

Despite these highlights, I am disappointed that your experience in Bar Pleiades was less than expected in regards to the temperature and slow service. I ensure you that your comments have been taken in the spirit intended and I have shared your feedback with the team to correct this going forward. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our fitness center. We will be sure to take your feedback into consideration as we evaluate our fitness center layout and offerings.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year during your annual trip to New York. Please feel free to call on me personally so I may assist you with your travel arrangements. In the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Been to The Surrey? Share your experiences!