“A Fantastic New York Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Night
Ranked #15 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“A Fantastic New York Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend arrived on the last night of our 4 month adventure through the Americas and left engaged! I had notified the hotel that I'd intended to propose to my girlfriend of 2 years in New York during our stay in the Surrey and our Guest Relations Coordinator, Michelle, kindly arranged for a special return to our room... Champagne, french pastries and rose petals strewn on the bed and the floor really topped off the day for us. The hotel experience was flawless from start to finish. The rooftop garden was a great place to relax. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at The Surrey. I am thrilled that we were part of your four month adventure through the Americas as well as your most special proposal.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am proud that our entire team, most notably Ms Michelle Paredes, Guest Relations Coordinator, was successful in achieving this with you. I have shared your feedback with Michelle who was thrilled by your high praises.

I am so proud to learn that your experience was flawless from start to finish and I am so happy you enjoyed the amenities arranged for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I chose to stay here and propose to my girlfriend at the rooftop garden and had been working with the Director of Guest Relations (Jose Lema) prior to my stay. To say that he assisted me with a beautiful proposal would be an understatement. The entire staff was so welcoming and kind and the hotel is incredibly well maintained. We stayed in an Ultra Deluxe Salon with a terrace and fireplace which I absolutely recommend. The views of the park were beautiful and you could not find better service from start to finish. The spa was amazing and we were able to sit and relax after our couples massage while enjoying sorbet and prosecco. I can;t thank everyone enough for creating such an amazing memory that my fiancee and I will remember forever. I will absolutely be returning to this hotel in the future. Book without hesitation, this is one of the finest luxury hotel experiences you will have in the city.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic and tranquil Upper East Side location as well as our spacious guest accommodations.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and attentive service delivery and I am so proud to learn that we exceeded your expectations in this regard.

We looked forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, I remain at your service.

philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Just spent a Saturday night as a guest at The Surrey. What a terrific experience! Staff was friendly, hotel room was elegant and comfortable. Like another reviewer, only fair warning to guests is that the hotel shower water pressure is really strong. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your recent Saturday evening stay at The Surrey.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations from the warm and gracious service provided by our team members to the comfort level of our guest accommodations.

We concur that we have amazing water pressure and continue to receive positive feedback on our shower experience.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

if you want a great base for museums, the park and a lot of good food, this is it. having a great restaurant with outside dining contributes to the experience. comfortable, friendly and efficent wiith a vibe that was not too fussy.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your generous feedback from your recent experience. We are humbled to be considered an “Upper East Side Gem.”

We are delighted that you enjoyed our idyllic Upper East Side location steps from Central Park with close proximity to museum mile and world renowned restaurants.

I concur that Michelin Star Café Boulud is one of our most special amenities and I am delighted that you enjoyed their culinary delights al fresco.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm, personalized and intuitive service delivery and I am pleased that we were successful in achieving this with you. I have shared your feedback with our entire team who were thrilled by your praises.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Upon arrival I immediately felt a sense of luxury walking through the double doors to reception. The staff greeted us ever so warmly and our upgrade was just lovely.
The room are just what I expected with soft furnishings and carpet, block out curtains, soft plush bed with matching sophisticated linen. Good use of cupboards and drawers for unpacking if staying a few days.
The bar in the foyer is superb with a wonderful art deco feel and that luxury Manhattan feel that you would expect from a 'Relais & Chateaux' property. Very similar to those R&C properties throughout France.
The roof top area is worth taking a look and getting pics around sunset. Unfortunately there is no service this late into September for food and beverages.

The only downside is the traffic noise even from the 10th floor. Not sure if double glazed windows and block outs really work at this hotel which is unfortunate as it is a bit frustrating when you are trying to sleep.
Apart from this I have certainly found my new hotel in NYC. I will certainly be back to stay each time I frequent NY, particularly the location to such wonderful little restaurants and the high end stores.
Excellent staff and well done to Management for making this hotel extra special.

Room Tip: A room higher up if possible. The noise levels even high up is a little frustrating.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such generous feedback from your experience and I am pleased that you felt a sense of luxury upon arrival.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the idyllic Upper East Side location of our Relais and Chateaux property with close proximity to world renowned restaurants and famed Madison Avenue shopping.

I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations from our inspiring Lauren Rottet design to our custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens.

I concur that the views from the Private Roof Garden are breathtaking and I am pleased that you were able to enjoy this signature amenity. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the art deco design of Coco Chanel inspired Bar Pleiades.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized, warm and gracious service delivery and I am proud that we were successful in achieving this with you.

Despite these highlights, I am sorry that your first experience to The Surrey coincided with the emergency utility work on Madison Avenue that created excessive noise pollution. I am confident that your return visit with us will be tranquil.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

First time at The Surrey. Renovated rooms are great and service is above average. Good location on Upper East Side in close proximity to Central Park and lots of retail. Normally stay in brand name hotels closer to midtown, but this is much better and offers some character, which I expect in NY. It's 11:30 PM and this is by far the quietest hotel room I've ever had in NYC. No sirens, no horns honking and no delivery trucks. Stayed on 12th floor but don't think you have to go that high to escape the noise.

• Stayed September 2013
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback from your first experience at The Surrey on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased that your accommodations on the 12th floor exceeded your expectations from our inspiring Lauren Rottet design to the tranquil ambiance.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed our Upper East Side location steps from Central Park with close proximity to famed Madison Avenue shopping.

Thank you for acknowledging our exemplary service delivery and I am pleased that our team members provided you with personalized, warm and gracious service throughout your stay.

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels in NYC and The Surrey was simply exceptional.
The staff is competent and efficient. The locations is perfect - close to Central Park and lots of great little shops on Madison Ave.
Super clean, very quiet and the decor was pleasing and relaxing.
Will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most gracious feedback from your recent experience at The Surrey.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design as well as our tranquil Upper East Side location just steps from Central Park with close proximity to the boutiques on Madison Avenue.

I am proud to learn that we were successful in providing you with efficient and gracious service throughout your stay with us.

Shan Kanagasingham

Been to The Surrey? Share your experiences!