“Attention to Detail” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Orange County, CA
“Attention to Detail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Quiet UES location. One block to the park, 4-6 blocks to the Met. Dux beds. Down pillows. Dean & Deluca stocked honor bar. Stylish, elegant, classy yet accessible. Bar Pleaides is comfortable and the bartenders pride themselves on their drink mixing abilities. Cafe Boulud has exquisite food but is even better for people watching if you are a tourist like me. My wife said that the spa provided the best massage she has ever had, hands down.

The staff were very helpful. Easy check in -even walked us to the elevator, the doormen held doors and hailed cabs, housekeeping was ninja like leaving behind only fresh water bottles and a thank you note for the tip.

Spendy? Yes but a good value nonetheless.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations from our tranquil ambience and personalized service to our close proximity to Central Park, Museum Mile and the famed shopping on Madison Avenue.

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed our inspiring Lauren Rottet design and tastefully appointed guest accommodations, featuring our custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens. We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I am proud to learn that our team members were successful in making you feel warm and welcome.

We concur that the award winning dining at Café Boulud and innovative libations at Bar Pleiades make for a most memorable and enjoyable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed at the Surrey for 7 nights in a suite with glimpses (minimal) of central park over Christmas as part of a trip celebrating my birthday. I can't fault the hotel. The room was nice, the service good and the bar was a highlight as was the restaurant, Cafe Boulud. The location is great for museums and galleries along with high-end shopping. However, I was just left underwhelmed by the experience and I've given a lot of thought as to why this is so and I just can't put my finger on it. It just generally lacked an atmosphere and was ho-hum. Nice, but I wouldn't rush back there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that our prime location, service and tastefully appointed accommodations exceeded your expectations and that you were most impressed with the award winning dining at Café Boulud and innovative libations at Bar Pleiades.

I was disappointed to learn that despite your generous feedback, your experience was somewhat underwhelming.

Kindly please call me personally at 646.358.3605 as I would welcome the opportunity to better understand so that we may ensure a perfect stay on your next trip to New York. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights and was pleasantly surprised after reading several reviews that staff weren't friendly. I found the staff very pleasant and helpful. My room was very spacious and comfortable especially the bed. I loved the bathroom - the marble tile work was elegant and reminded me of fine old hotels. I definitely felt comfortable and pampered. Also lunch at the cafe was excellent- one of the best meals I had this trip. My room was on the 5th floor and a little noisy, but no more then other hotels. I will return.

• Stayed January 2013
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us. It is our personalized level of intuitive service that we pride ourselves on and I am proud to learn that our team members were successful in making you feel at home.

We were truly delighted that your stay exceeded your expectations despite the slight noise pollution.

We were pleased to learn that our tastefully appointed accommodations, featuring our custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens, exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed the innovative culinary offerings of Café Boulud.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Surrey Hotel on UES of NY is trully a great hotel. Concierge staff are the highest level trained by Relais & Chateaux (look for the gold cross bars on their lapels). All the staff are friendly and helpful with no attitude. Rooms are elegant and relaxed at same time. Duxiana mattresses are the very best and very expensive (I know, I own one). Cafe Boulud is the best restuarant in New York and provides room service. I have had friends live in The Surrey hotel with children for months at a time and it's become a life long memory for them. Excellent shopping nearby on Madison and terrific restaurants throught the neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that our tranquil Upper East Side location exceeded your expectations and that you were able to enjoy our luxurious sleep experience featuring custom Duxiana bedding and Sferra linens.

We were pleased to learn that you were most impressed with our close proximity to the famed shopping on Madison Avenue and award winning restaurants including Café Boulud.

We pride ourselves on the gracious and warm service extended by our colleagues and I was proud to learn we were successful in achieving this with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home and in the interim, I remain at your service.

Monroe, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Had dinner at Cafe Boulud a few nights earlier. Noticed the Bar Pleiades inside the hotel and decided to come back for drinks. Classy bar with a warm and inviting atmosphere. Great place to relax, enjoy a cocktail, and some nice conversation with your wife, girlfriend, date, etc.........Nice alternative to the bars in The Carlyle or The Mark, which are very nice and enjoyable as well, just different vibe. Many people were eating in the bar which was situated appropriately and spread out so you felt like you had some privacy. Classy UES crowd. Classy establishment to enjoy cocktails before heading out to dinner on UES

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at Café Boulud and Bar Pleiades.

Our unique design by Lauren Rottet, award winning dining at Café Boulud, and prime location are indeed some of our best attributes. We were truly pleased that you found our service to be warm and inviting.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

A gift card introduced me to the Cornelia Spa in the Surrey Hotel. I'm a New York resident and consistently deflated by spa experiences in Manhattan. Too often they feel like rip offs but one doesn't know that until you're in the experience. I can see myself making a visit to the Cornelia Spa a regular part of my life. I'm not a princess but living and working in New York does add stress to my shoulders and back. Cornelia Spa took fine care of me.

Whispers abound, except for one visiting customer who seemed like a coddled regular who stormed in in a condition of agitated energy, raging and buying up the "serums;" she had to buy serums, not creams. She destroyed the ambiance of the setting that the staff worked so hard to make peaceful, friendly and giving.

Regardless, the 30-minute massage felt like longer. The masseuse pressed points in the muscles along my spine that popped the stress gently and transported me. Not a word was spoken; I was left to let my mind wander to go blank.

The amenities were lovely: citrus water, a hot hand towel for my hands, a warm shoulder matt, and an easy chair in a curtained nook to prepare for the service. Tea, sorbet, and a glass of Prosecco in the same nook to unwind afterward for as long as I needed it.

The staff was uniformly friendly without being condescending or phony.

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are humbled by your high praise and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your most recent experience at Cornelia Spa at The Surrey. It makes us very proud to learn you have become a fan and a loyal guest of Cornelia Spa.

We were disappointed to learn that you were initially inconvenienced by another patron. However, we were pleased that this did not mar your overall experience and that you enjoyed the spa amenities along with their culinary delights.

We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I am proud to learn that our team members, especially our spa team, were so successful in making you feel warm and welcome.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

we have just visited NYC for my wife's 40th and stayed at The Surrey - what a great experience... Cool service, cool staff, cool bar, cool everything! I've stayed at many hotels in NYC however this is by far the best in terms of detail - just a shame we didn't have time to visit their restaurant! Thanks The Surrey for making it so special

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are humbled by your high praise and thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted that we exceeded your expectation with the gracious and warm service extended by our team members. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with personalized and genuine service delivery and I was proud to learn that we were successful in creating a most memorable birthday celebration for you and your wife.

We are pleased that you were able to enjoy the innovative libations at Bar Pleiades and kindly as that you contact our Les Clefs d’Or Concierge for assistance with reservations at Café Boulud so that you may experience their award-winning dining.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next birthday celebration at The Surrey... making it a yearly tradition. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Been to The Surrey? Share your experiences!