“Absolutely wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Surrey

You added The Surrey to your Saves list
The Surrey
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 E. 76th Street, New York City, NY 10021 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Night
Ranked #18 of 460 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Absolutely wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at the Surrey and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. My request for a a quiet room (not always easy to accomplish in New York, based on past experiences) was readily met, which certainly helped to make the stay enjoyable.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with what we found to be the ideal mix of "friendly, yet professional" (some might find it a bit casual, but we tend to prefer this to pomp and circumstance). The art that greets you is a treat too! Our corner room was spacious enough (room for a king bed, arm chair, small writing desk, armoire and yes, you can actually walk around the room too!). The bed was to die for; comfortable, lovely large pillows and good quality sheets/duvet. A decent size bathroom (no tub in the salon room we stayed in), with marble finish and plenty of towels, etc. Wifi is available for a fee (even in the business centre?!), which was a disappointment.

Upon arrival, we went for a drink on the rooftop patio. Service was good and the view of all the beautiful art deco buildings on the upper east side was a treat. Drinks are on the pricey side (cocktails start at 18$) but frankly, I could barely finish mine (it was ample!). If I had one complaint, it would be the lack of options for bar food, but perhaps they do this to encourage guests to dine in the restaurant or order room service. We did order room service for dinner and it was average (in terms of price and quality). It did arrive promptly and all the accoutrements were included, but the food itself was lacklustre (a bit bland, not so sure about the use of processed cheese slices on our sandwich).

I have to sing the praises of housekeeping. They did an absolutely phenomenal job with the room, both for the morning cleaning and turn down service. We were always well stocked with toiletteries, water, towels, etc. The room was spotless for the duration of our stay.

Location wise, potential guests who are not familiar with the city should be aware it's a relatively quiet area at night. There is a bar in the hotel ( Bar Pleiades...we did not check it out) or alternately, you are right across the street from Bemelmens at the Carlyle. The hotel is a couple blocks from the subway station (although only the 6 line runs through the area) which is an easy and affordable way to get around (30$ gets you an unlimited 7 day pass) or, of course, you can always use cabs. Central park is a few blocks away and you are very close to plenty of museums, great shopping, etc.

We would suggest this hotel to people (we saw a mix of guests-older couples, young people, families) who are looking to be close enough to the hustle and bustle of the city without being right in the centre of it. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

For a 5 star, traveller's choice award recipient, I expected excellence in every category.
Unfortunately there were a few small service issues that left our experience short of how the hotel is rated.

The good:
-the suite itself was absolutely terrific. Top notch decor and furnishings, and a great view (could see the park from both sets of windows).
-the rooftop was a great place to have a drink upon returning to the hotel from dinner out
-proximity to Central Park

The shortcomings:
-ran into a concierge and asked where to get some ice so that we could have a pre-dinner drink. I was informed that 'we bring that to you. I'll have some brought up right away'. A 1/2 hour later there was no sign of it, so I called down, and was told it would be right up. Another 1/2 later it still hadn't arrived so I grabbed the ice bucket and went to the front desk to get it myself in person. It seemed like I was breaking the rules because I decided to come and get it in person (I have no qualms at all about getting my own ice, but I had pretty much been told that was their job).
-we were offerred our choice of newspaper(s) for the following morning. They never came.
-we asked to have breakfast on the patio outside at the restaurant since it was a lovely day, and were told we couldn't. No reason - tables were out, chairs were out; just 'we don't serve breakfast outside'.
-some of the desk staff are over-the-top, phony courteous. Maybe their average client likes that borderline sniveling approach? I suppose it is better than being rude or indifferent, but if you can't back it up with flawless actual service, it becomes pretentious and condescending.

Honestly, we had nothing that would be called a major issue, and the suite itself really was wonderful. One just expects a five star, highly touted hotel to be pretty much flawless in every way (especially service), and I'd have to say when it comes to little things, it came up a bit short. At a service level, we had better from one of their sister properties (4-star Affinia Shelburne), during our preceding three nights.

Room Tip: As with all rooms in NYC, aim for a high floor and ask for a view. We had both - great!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent visit. We were pleased to learn that our Private Roof Garden, inspiring design and tastefully appointed accommodations exceeded your expectations.

Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the service lapses and disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. In my follow up with Mr Michael Dunbar, Director of Front Office and Ms Marioara Sfera, Director of Housekeeping, I have stressed the importance of ensuring that all guest requests are taken care of with great precision and in a timely manner in order to prevent future such guest dissatisfaction. This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on and we hope that you are able to forgive us for our shortcomings.

I have also shared your comments as it relates to patio seating with Mr Dominique Paulin, General Manager of Café Boulud, so that he may address to ensure consistent service levels.

We hope that these incidents have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey and that you afford us the opportunity to regain your faith and restore your trust in us. Kindly, please call me to 646.358.3605 when your travel plans next bring you to New York so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. In the interim, we remain at your service.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed at the Surrey based on an AmEx special. Upper East Side less than a block from the park and a couple of blocks to high end shopping. There was a small problem with my reservation- called the hotel the night before and reservations tells me "you're out of luck- the only way we can accommodate you now is if you upgrade to our suite at $1050/night". Long pause "Um, excuse me??". Well, called the manager who fixed it right up. Staff VERY nice, room was gorgeous. Concierge was condescending (I'm starting to think they all are). Great hotel if that is where you want to be but The London is a better stay if you want to be in the middle of the action (not everyone does!).

• Stayed August 2012
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback from your recent visit. We were pleased to learn that our tastefully appointed accommodations and prime location with close proximity to Central Park and famed Madison Avenue shopping exceeded your expectations.

I regret to learn that your reservation experience was less than perfect. In my follow up with Mr Patrick Cheeseman, Corporate Director of Reservations, I have stressed the importance of providing our guests with a warm, welcoming and seamless reservation experience. I was pleased that our Front Office leadership were able to recover and restore your faith in us despite a less than perfect start.

I have also shared your comments with Ms Lorena Ringoot, Chef Concierge so that she may provide her team with additional training in an effort to avoid future repeat occurrences. This is certainly not indicative of the gracious service levels that we pride ourselves on and we hope that you are able to forgive us for our shortcomings.

We hope that these incidents have not marred your overall impression of The Surrey and that you afford us the opportunity to regain your faith and confidence in us. Kindly, please call me to 646.358.3605 when your travel plans next bring you to New York City so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Chose this hotel for the first time for its proximity to my early meetings--and was not disappointed in any way. Their own website's 'best rate promise' beat my Platinum American Express travel agent by $80/night. Excellent location; generous sized "regular" room with all luxury appointments I would expect for a much higher rate. But the true winner here is the obviously superb service management philosophy. Had a minor issue that could have been catastrophic to my stay--but manager Jose Lema and housekeeping manager to the rescue and immediately ensured a prompt recovery. Lema made me feel he was personally engaged and involved in my complete satisfaction. Kudos to Lema and the general management of this hotel for exemplary customer service.

Room Tip: Do not miss the charming green roof top bar.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing feedback from your recent stay with us. We were pleased that you appreciated the many customized touches that we have curated for our guests to ensure a memorable experience and that you have become such a fan of our Upper East Side gem.

We were truly delighted that you were most impressed with our tastefully appointed and spacious accommodations and luxurious amenities. We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I am proud to learn that Mr Jose Lema, Director of Guest Relations and Ms Andrea Giddings, Housekeeping Manager were so successful in recovering you and making you feel warm and welcome.

We are humbled by your high praise and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We recently spent a lovely three night stay at the Surrey. I have not one complaint and can only recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a luxurious getaway from the madness of New York. Nestled on a beautiful and quiet street and a stones throw from central park. We couldn't have been happier with the accommodations and the staff was very welcoming and always greeting us and saying goodbye as we come and go. Very pleased and we will be back. Thank you Surrey and staff.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
skanagasingham, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the glowing feedback from your recent visit. We are humbled that you have become a fan of The Surrey.

We were truly delighted that you were most impressed with our tranquil location with close proximity to Central Park, our inspiring décor and tastefully appointed guest accommodation.

We pride ourselves on providing superior levels of intuitive and personalized service and I am proud to learn that our team members were successful in making you feel warm and welcome.

Your recommendation of The Surrey is very important to us and we thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Best feature about The Surrey is LOCATION. Amidst the noisy and overcrowded Manhattan the Upper East Side feels like an oasis and it is great to be so near Central Park. Service was great. We got an early check in which was wonderful after a really long flight and also we had a late check out which was a blessing having an overnight flight ahead. We had a deluxe king salon and it was an amazing big room beautifully designed. The roof top bar was a charm and we had a really nice meal at Café Boulud.
The concierges, Michael and Michael, are a terrific plus!!!They were extremely efficient, warm and helpful!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback from your recent stay with us.

The Surrey is indeed an oasis in the Upper East Side and we were truly pleased that you found our prime location, inspiring design, tastefully appointed accommodations and luxurious sleep experience, featuring our custom Duxiana bedding, to be top notch.

Our Roof Garden is reminiscent of an English garden and we are delighted that you enjoyed this private sanctuary as well as the award winning gastronomy at Café Boulud.

However, it is our exceptional level of intuitive and personalized service that we pride ourselves on and I am proud to learn that our team members were successful in making you feel warm and welcome. I have personally thanked our Mr Michael Bordenick and Mr Michael Cerrato, Les Clefs d’Or Concierge for making your time with us most memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The Surrey is at great location near most of the important places on NY's Upper East Side. If you like to run you are in the perfect spot to go running every morning at Central Park and if shopping is your passion you have all Madison Avenue shopping at your door. The service is great. My room was in the second floor and I felt the need for more light and it was quite small but similar to other NY hotels. It was beautifully decorated, and had an elegant feel to it. Rooftop Bar is a great plus and Café Boulud downstairs is also a great touch. Unfortunately I could not get a reservation this time for Daniel, but I will definitely return to Surrey.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us.

We were pleased to learn that our prime location with close proximity to Central Park and the famed shopping of Madison Avenue as well as our tastefully appointed décor and accommodations exceeded your expectations.

We are delighted that you were able to enjoy the breathtaking views seen from our Private Roof Garden; however, disappointed that you were not able to revel in the award winning dining at Daniel. Please feel free to call on our Les Clefs d’Or Concierge team as they can secure most dining reservations.

We look forward to welcoming you back home soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Shan Kanagasingham

Been to The Surrey? Share your experiences!