Just returned from a wonderful stay in New York that even Hurricane Irene could not spoil thanks to the wonderful team at The "New" Surrey. First, a word about our history with The Surrey, dating to the mid-'00's when we lived there for several weeks while on assignment in NYC. We loved our home-away-from-home: our enormous suite, the lovely neighborhood and the kind housekeeping staff who tended to us morning and evening. Despite the shabbiness of the increasingly threadbare, traditional decor, we just pretended that our Surrey suite was on loan to us by a beloved, elderly UES aunt and nested there happily. Naturally, we were dismayed when The Surrey closed for renovation and transformation into a chic, hip boutique hotel, having experienced the very mixed bag these establishments can be. Too often style substitutes for substance and service and the young staffs mistakenly think it's all about them, not their guests. Consequently, we have avoided The "New" Surrey for several years in favor of our fond memories of The "Old" Surrey.
Needless to say, we were thrilled beyond compare by the delightful surprise The "New" Surrey proved to be during our four-day stay over "Hurricane Irene Weekend". Altho' our Grand Deluxe Salon on the 8th floor was half the size of our old suite, having been created from only one of the rooms of the old one-bedroom suites, we loved it! Incomparable in decor and comfort, we fell in love with The Surrey all over again.
But, our most ardent praise goes to the wonderful, young staff at The "New" Surrey. Beautifully trained and completely committed to their guests' comfort and safety, they proved themselves beyond question during a stressful weekend when Hurricane Irene brought "The City That Never Sleeps" to a halt. Whether testing flashlights in guest rooms, providing umbrellas for the driving rain, ensuring that guests had breakfast and dinner at hand when many UES restaurants closed for the hurricane's duration or re-booking transportation in the aftermath, they performed with complete commitment and quiet assurance. They personified the phrase "Esprit de Corps", i.e., the capacity of a group to maintain belief in a goal, particularly in times of stress, and to pull together persistently and consistently in pursuit of a common purpose. Kudos to the management and staff of The Surrey!! We were deeply impressed and touched by the wonderful way all of you demonstrated a genuinely caring attitude despite many disruptions, reduced staff and long hours on the job. The Surrey is once again our home-away-from-home in NYC. Thank you for a wonderful stay!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Exceptional moments at The Surrey extend well beyond your accommodations. Whether you prefer entertaining in the garden, indulging in a relaxing massage at Cornelia Spa or dining at your favorite table at Café Boulud, personality and personal preferences inform our service from the moment you make your reservation. Upon booking a suite at The Surrey, guests will receive the Complimentary Suite Program which includes complimentary wireless Internet, daily international newspaper, shoe shine, and a Surrey welcome amenity. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions , Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Venere, Priceline, Tingo, Splendia, Otel, MrandMrsSmith, Agoda, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Surrey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Hotel New York City
- Surrey Suite Hotel
- Surrey New York City