“A great place to stay on the Upper East Side” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Surrey

You added The Surrey to your Saves list
The Surrey
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 E. 76th Street, New York City, NY 10021 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Night
Ranked #17 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A great place to stay on the Upper East Side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

We had a great stay at the Surrey. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the room was spacious (very spacious for NYC), luxurious and quiet (very quiet for NYC). The location was perfect for us, since we wanted to spend time on the Upper East Side and in Central Park. We will stay at the Surrey again.

Room Tip: Ask nicely.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Dear KJCC,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your comments on your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am so very happy to read that you will be returning as this is our ultimate compliment. Great to read you enjoyed your experience and service.

Looking forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

If you're looking for something less tired and crusty than other upper east side hotels (Carlyle, St. Regis, etc.) this is a great alternative. The staff is very nice and helpful, though they still seem to be in-training and slightly confused. The rooms are fantastic. At least mine was - it was a contemporary styled suite. Only issue could be that there was no bath, which I never thought to inquire about when booking. The bar off the Lobby is quite a fun scene - and being next door to Boulud makes for delicious eats.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Linny8856,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

Overall, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and the property overall. I am addressing the comment about the staff, but if you would like, please reach our to me directly so I can have a better understanding. I will send you a direct message through Trip Advisor as well. We strive to be the best and work hard at it evenry day, we have an incredible staff that seemingly missed it on your experience, my apologies.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I booked my stay at The Surrey because I was attending a business event at the hotel. To my surprise, it is a very elegant and beautiful hotel located in a great neighborhood. I was a little disappointed that at this type of hotel there was no doorman to greet me and my three bags as I instead struggled to pull open the heavy door and stumble to the front desk. Otherwise, my first impression was pretty impressive. The hotel has a nice boutique feel but surprises you with very spacious, elegant guest rooms (especially for Manhattan!). I loved the hip, stylish decor of the room plus the nice seating area with a big window overlooking the street scape below. The bathroom is modern and beautiful and I loved hearing the TV with the additional speakers in the bathroom.
After doing some work in my guestroom (only complaint was not being able to watch TV as it had a poor signal that went in and out), I went down to the bar to meet my colleague at 6 pm. Note - this is too late to get a seat at the bar. It was packed! We were able to stand in a corner and enjoy a cocktail and some fun people-watching before dinner at Cafe Boulud. This is definitely THE place to be.
Dinner at Cafe Boulud was fantastic. Make it a point to eat here if you can.
Last complaint is from my departure - I asked the concierge where the nearest Starbucks was and he seemed very annoyed explaining that I could get perfectly good coffee in the hotel. Not what I wanted to hear as I drink chai tea lattes (which are not available at most hotels - including The Surrey). I left frustrated as I again stumbled out the door (no doorman) with my three bags, repeating my challenging arrival.
Overall, the hotel is beautiful. I wish I could say the same about the service....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear Stellatravels,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your comments on your most recent stay.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

Overall I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and the location of the property. I am sorry to hear that you had a service drop at the front door, please know that I am addressing this to ensure we do not have this issue.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Surrey and thank you again for the feedback.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

I hope it will help because a hotel is truly excellent and worth visiting for staff, location, beds, cafe Boulud and every other detail. But make sure (beg, insist) that You room is not on Madison. I am from Russia and had nothing against waking up at 5 a.m. (it is midday in Moscow) first couple of days until we started living NY time. Nothing helps the noise is terrible. That is too bad because I agree The Surrey is excellent in every other way

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
swadamaNewYork, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear Vol-De-Mar88,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your comments.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I appreciate the wonderful comments on the hotel and regardless of the noise your encountered. Please know we are working towards a solution to the issue and realize that this needs to be addressed. Thank you for sharing.

I hope this does not deter you from coming back and wish you well in Russia, from NYC.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I am in a business that permits me from "reviewing" hotels. I stayed at The Surrey for pleasure, so I am throwing that out the window one time only. Straight up...there is no better hotel (even with their higher rates) on the UES. Forget details, expect them. The bed is wonderful, management is receptive, rooms are spacious, location is brilliant. The Surrrey will NOT forget a birthday or a anniversary, and housekeeping is beyond reliable. Stay at the Surrey, enjoy yourself as if you were a true Upper East Sider, and relish the opportunity to stay here....one day it will be history and your kids will ask you about it. Ideal across the board. Good luck waking up in that bed and enjoy!

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I had booked a room for my parents to celebrate the 80th birthday of my father. When I made the reservation in January (Used a great booking agent, Magellan Vacations), I mentioned that we were celebrating my Dad's birthday. The room was on the 12th floor, and was beautifully decorated. The Dux bed, linens, the marble bath, flat screen TV, natural earth tone colors were just right. My parents enjoyed the art books in the room. As to complaints about noise, if you book here, insist on a room on a high floor. When we came back from dinner, the hotel left a bottle of Champagne, and chocolates, with a nice card congratulating my Dad on his birthday. I can't say enough about the hotel. If you want to enjoy Central Park, and the nearby Museums, this is a great alternative to other nearby hotels such as The Carlyle, The Mark. The Surrey is a wonderful boutique hotel.

• Stayed March 2011
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Waitingforvacation,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I appreciate reading that your father enjoyed his stay and the birthday was a nice event. I appreciate you sharing this occasion with us and am glad to read we rose to the occasion and recognized. Please extend our birthday wishes again.

We look forward to your return and thank you again for the wonderful comments.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our first stay at The Surrey in December 2010. We were so impressed with the hotel, the location and the staff that my husband has started staying here on business trips (two so far in the past month). When I saw a package on LuxuryLink I snapped it up to take advantage of my husband's very special (round numbered) birthday. The 3 night package included a bottle of wine, daily breakfasts and two $100 spa credits.

We just returned from our trip and here are my comments:
KUDOS:
- Overall, we love the hotel and the location is superb on 76th between 5th and Madison.
- The rooms are large, well appointed, contemporary and spotless. Our Grand Salon had a fabulous Duxiana King bed with Pratesi linens. The bathrooms are all grey and white carrera marble with double sinks and an abundance of towels and two Frette robes. I loved the Vanity Fair Portrait Book, the big comfy reading chairs and the many lamps.
- The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job, with twice daily service, though we never received the cookies someone else mentioned in their review. And the evening housekeeper never did replace the washcloths.
- We love a hotel bar and this one, Bar Pleiades is gorgeous and sexy with great music and lovely staff.
- The staff are wonderful. Very friendly and eager to assist - especially the door and bell staff.
- The spa was lovely and peaceful. Sandra and Michelle both gave very good massages.

NOT SO GREAT:
- When I booked the package through LuxuryLink I indicated it was a special birthday. In addition, for two weeks prior to our visit, I had been tweeting about the hotel and whoever is responsible for their Twitter account was aware it was a special birthday. I was shocked that there was absolutely no acknowledgement or recognition of his birthday. NONE! And our friends sent a bottle of champagne and a cheese plate with a card, so the hotel was certainly aware of the occasion. Only the very sweet Melissa at the spa wished him a happy birthday after our massages.

- The noise!!! On our previous stays our room has faced a brick wall we but found the room to be quiet (by NY standards). This trip our room faced 76th St and the noise was unbearable. It was as if there were no windows in our room. I actually got up twice to check to make sure they were actually closed (which they were - single paned glass). The sirens, garbage trucks, construction equipment backing up and the honking horns were some of the worst I have ever experienced in NYC.

- Breakfast at Cafe Boulud - ooph, what a disappointment. Our package included daily breakfast but after one try we abandoned the balance. We arrived to find 3-4 tables seated with patrons. The rest were all filthy and hadn't been cleared. There was no one to greet us and we stood around before someone finally wandered over and said it would be a few minutes to clear a table. 10 minutes later we were ushered to a horrible table behind a pillar across from the service area. The menu is very limited with nothing healthy available. Not even fresh fruit. There is a small cold buffet available but it was not impressive. We asked for butter and jam which never materialized. Coffee was never refilled. Staff were scarce. What a shame for such a well known dinner spot. I am guessing Daniel Boulud would be embarrassed to have his name associated with this level of service.

- Upon check out we discovered the $200 spa credits had not been applied to our bill. It was handled without incident at reception when I presented my printed LuxuryLink confirmation. A minor inconvenience.

Overall, we love The Surry and we will continue to return. I has just hoped that this stay would have been perfect, given the occasion. And it wasn't.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Swadama, General Manager at The Surrey, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Dear GayleR2,

Thank you for choosing the Surrey and thank you for your feedback.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

Overall I am pleased to read that your husband enjoys the hotel and that you could come and join him as well for his occasion. I appreciate your observations as well. I agree that we should have done more to recognize the occasion with you. this is actually a core value of our hotel and service. I will address and correct. In regards to Cafe Boulud, i have shared with their management team your comments. With reference to you point on street noise, please know that I am working on a solution with our design and construction team. this one will take more time, but it is definitely on our radar to address. Thank you for commenting.

I look forward to having you back at the Surrey and appreciate your support of our hotel. Thank you for recognizing our spa team.