“Not what it used to be” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
New Year’s Eve in NYC
Ranked #260 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Bells Beach, Australia
“Not what it used to be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I must say it was not the same as what it once was. The rooms are the same and the lobby has been updated since out last visit, a very modern look. It is the staff that I loved that has changed so. We met a women patrolling the lobby Susan was her name. We witnessed her speaking with other guests. So we to spoke with her to ask about the changes. Try as she did to be personable and hospitable it came across very rehearsed and uncaring. It is as if she were reading from cue cards, acting out a role. She was not friendly. It really soured our visit, sad but true.

Room Tip: Niles in the lobby was great as always
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here in February 2012 and I have to say, our room was so great. I booked it because they had recently renovated it and it was super cheap. 4 nights for $325! You couldn't beat the price or location. We ended up getting the nicer sized room with a kitchen, although I heard other guests saying their rooms were not renovated so we must of gotten lucky. The last night we spent there we had a minor glitch, our room key wasn't working and we had to make a couple of trips downstairs to talk to the front desk. Turns out I booked 3 nights and then the extra night we were supposed to get transferred to a different room for whatever reason. Luckily, the staff took care of the issue and we ended up staying in our original room.

I would definitely stay again. The only thing that I'd change is their parking situation (they don't have any area for that - but its NY so I understand) and also maybe having more people help out with luggage - I had to carry my bags up the front door staircase and not one person helped. If you ever walk through the main lobby doors to talk to the front desk, you will understand what I mean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed here during Christmas and we loved it. Had a deluxe room with two bathrooms. And it was just perfect. Yes bathrooms are small. But you do not need biger ones. Towels are thick and nice. And we even had ordered some fantastic robes. I just loved them.
And a nice little kitchen. Perfect to make drinks and snacks before exploring New York ;-)
Was a super nice lady form Jamaica cleaning our room. She did a great job. And front desk staff was nice and concierge was helpful. All in all a very nice stay. ;-)

• Stayed December 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Whatever you do, ask for Jenny. She was very friendly and customer-service oriented. The on-site restaraunt / bar was great also. I really like the fact that this hotel is within walking distance to most everything exciting in Midtown.

Room Tip: My suite had a view to the new Freedom Plaza (formerly World Trade) which was awesome!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We arrived at the hotel on the 13th December 2014 at around 4pm. After a very long flight and 2 hours to get to the hotel, the queue to check-in was massive and there was only two check-in operators at the desks so it was very slow moving. The lobby was very updated and trendy, with the big Christmas tree being the focus point.

We had originally booked via Expedia in April and we had two deluxe rooms, one for me and one for my parents. After we checked in, we had only been given one room key with one room number, despite having booked two rooms. We had to move along as there was a huge queue behind us and when we went to query why we only had one room after paying for two, we were told we had to wait at the back of the huge queue even though it was the check-in operators mistake.

We also got charged two 350$ holding deposits on a credit card, a charge of which we weren't aware was applicable until we checked in. The rooms themselves were in good order. They were very clean and tidy, however one of the rooms had damp on the ceiling and the carpets in the hallways were threadbare.

Our stay overall was excellent. Our bed linen and towels were changed on a daily basis and all the staff were very friendly, particularly the concierge and bellman. The only negative I have about the hotel is the windows are very thin. It is New York City, a city that never sleeps however you would think because of the prime location and the fact it's beside a fire station, that the hotel would invest in some proper double glazed windows. The heating wasn't working in one of the rooms, and the cold air coming through the windows was unbearable but you were provided ear plugs for the noise.

I would stay here again and I would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Nottingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I paid over 300 dollars for one night at the Affinia on my way through NYC to Philadelphia. The hotel is very convenient for Penn station and Madison Square Gardens which was why I chose it. Staff were welcoming and the entrance foyer is grand. The room was very disappointing with a tiny bathroom, difficult to control heating and rather jaded decor. We had asked for two beds but got only one although it was king size plus. This is an ok hotel but the price was way too high. I felt I had been taken for a mug.
Nottingham Adrian

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had never stayed here before, but we will stay here again. The beds were the most comfortable of any beds ANYWHERE! The rooms are small, but that doesn't matter, as you really aren't in them much. The bathroom is small but ample. The lobby is modern, although the hotel itself is old. We could here a lot of firetrucks during the night, but it IS NYC! The staff was very pleasant. The lobby was inviting. What a great location! We dropped off our suitcases after coming in on the train. The hotel is less than a block from Penn Station. Our room was ready early. The entire stay was a delight!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to Manhattan NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!